11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
User Info
Firedevil
Not been at this game long, a couple of weeks and not really sure what happened tonight.

I should say my first couple of shaves apart from the odd nick went okay, I have a new hobby and spending habit. My cheap Feather Popular and blades were as sweet as a nut. So I thought its time to step up the game and try some of the more expensive (and better) kit I had brought.

Then tonight it all changed. I thought I would try out my new Parker 22 with a Derby blade and Taylors cream. There is obviously something there that did not agree with me (or I need more practice but not sure how as my other kit works fine). 6 hours on and I am considering chopping up a chilli and rubbing it on my chin and neck to cool it down Firedevil. Never had burn like this and not sure what caused it. I am putting it down to the blade at the moment as the rest of my face is fine so I am guessing its not the cream.

Methinks a new Feather blade is in order for tomorrow in the Parker to test the theory.

Also I had a real hard time with the razor clogging for the first time ever and I had to unscrew the top butterfly to get the cream out so I could carry on shaving a couple of times. Not sure if this means I made the lather too thick or if the gap between razor and blade is very differrent to my Feather. I have managed one or two small nicks so far but had about 6 tonight all round my chin and neck.

Not a good shave but things will be better tomorrow.

0 87
 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
Derby's were the worst DE blade (for me) that I have ever tried. I have zero intentions of knowingly putting one in contact with my skin ever again.

31 7,914
 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
They work really good for me! Taking paint of the hardwood floor. Yey Derby!

88 4,233
 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It sounds to me like your lather was too dry. Lather that is properly hydrated and aerated should not clog your razor. Also, dry lather will lack the slickness required to avoid razor burn and nicks.

127 2,390
 11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
(11-05-2012, 03:02 PM)blzrfn Wrote: It sounds to me like your lather was too dry. Lather that is properly hydrated and aerated should not clog your razor. Also, dry lather will lack the slickness required to avoid razor burn and nicks.

That sounds about right, I thought it was about right but can try tomorrow increasing the water content.

0 87
 11-05-2012, 03:54 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The only razor that Derbys worked worth a damn for me in was the R41. Any other razor I tried them resulted in pulling, tugging, and dragging. I've given up the R41 and Derbys for good.

116 3,804
 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've heard some Parker's can be fairly aggressive, not like R41 aggressive but still rough. I'm not sure if the 22 is one of those or not, never have used any Parker products.

31 1,510
 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would also guess the Parker is more aggressive than the Popular. If your using the same technique and pressure with both razors that could be a problem. Try using NO pressure with the Parker.

45 3,955
 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
The Parker is much more aggressive than the Feather Popular and the combination of that razor and Derby blade might not be good for your skin. Good idea on trying the Feather blade and your lather seems to have been too dry. If it is well made, it should never clog in any razor. Good luck.
You may want to consider getting some unrefined shea butter for any future irritation or skin issues. It is amazing stuff.

75 20,883
 11-05-2012, 09:40 PM
User Info
I wish I had better news for you....

Use scientific method. If you have "it down" and then start to change things chaotically you have exactly that, chaos. We can tell you nothing because you set the experiment up to yield chaos. You have what you desired. We can't fix it or diagnose anything, no one can. We can only guess and guesswork is useless.

Go back to what you know works and change one variable at a time. I know you're cocky because you have had success for a few days, but you are a long way from being able to change many variables and knowing what caused what to happen. You need to learn to crawl before you walk and run.

In short, move back to known parameters and change one thing at a time. No more than that. See how it works for a few shaves, then change another variable. Doing it any other way slows down your progess and only leads to speculation on our part. If you change one variable and the shave gets worse, if you can't figure out what caused it then get back to us.

Progressing slowly is actually the fastest way to get to where you want to be. Forget immediate gratification, it's unlikely to happen with a razor blade. Go slow and progress faster. It might not make sense to you, but I assure you it's absolutely true.

OK, razor burn means you removed layers of skin. It could be many things; blade, lather, pressure. But we have no idea because you changed so many things at one time.

32 6,309
 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM
User Info
Thanks for your help guys. Back to basics for me today. I will put the Parker away for now and pop the derby into the feather with my previous cream and see what happens.

Watch this space.

0 87
 11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
My 1st DE was a Parker 96R. It has the same head as the 22. I've never used a derby blade but as I am experimenting with different blades I have found that my Parker works well with Wilkerson classics, Shark SC, and Astra SP.. Feathers tear me up. (They are VERY sharp). As far as aggressiveness I would say it is close to my Fatboy set on 5 or 6. A bit more aggressive than my (mild) Super Speed.... I do like the results I get from my Parker. Mine is on deck for tomorrow with a Lord blade.... Also not a bad combo. As far as your question, I have to say +1 Brian. He has been at this a lot longer then you or I Shiny. I have found that you have to be methodical in your approach to everything in wet shaving....YMMV Brother... Happy Shaves!!!

5 1,151
 11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Definitely all of the above is agreed with and also check the cream and how it reacts with your face.

I have a few creams that light my face up and sometime it doesn't start until the third pass or even after the shave is completed.
Taylor's of any variety is not a usual suspect for me but you never know.

Another thing to consider and another variable to add as you add things one by one.

It will get better! Biggrin

6 905
 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
No shave yesterday I was too sore. Today went a lot better though. Back to the feather with no problems. It's definitely the Parker face eater I think. I will try a different blade in the feather next time but I suspect it's the angry alligator of a razor.

Oh well, another one for the display cabinet to be used only in the event of an emergency.

Many thanks for all your help guys, it's definitely a learning process.

0 87