11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Hey there Gents!

I've been loaned a Gillette NEW Ball End OC razor by our friend Mark (Oakeshott)

This razor is absolutely wonderful to shave with. It's a very nice looking razor and is in decent shape. The only problem with it is that it has rust deposits at both ends of the handle and inside the groove in the head as well.

I've cleaned it up with a mild soapy water and vinegar solution, but I know that wont take care of the rust. I'm hesitant to use something like CLR or Brasso on it, as it's not mine and I want to return it in better condition than when I received it.

Would replating be an option? How much does that cost?

Thanks in advance!

13 599
 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Plating can range from cheap to really expensive. Get in touch with KronaKruiser over at B&B. He gets his plated by a friend who has great rates.

116 3,804
 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(11-05-2012, 04:29 PM)Dave Wrote: Plating can range from cheap to really expensive. Get in touch with KronaKruiser over at B&B. He gets his plated by a friend who has great rates.

Good to know, thanks Dave.

Here are a few pictures for reference. If you leave the blade in the razor after a shave, it will have rust on it the next morning. I'm not a doctor but I immagine thats not a good thing.

In the groove

[Image: DSC00199.jpg]

Between the teeth

[Image: DSC00200.jpg]

At the base of the bar where it attaches to the head

[Image: DSC00202.jpg]

Inside the neck where it threads together

[Image: DSC00203.jpg]

In the joints at the ball

[Image: DSC00204.jpg]

13 599
 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
One thing you can try Matt is running a Q-Tip with just the tiniest bit of a non abrasive Polish (Flitz, Maas, Mothers, etc) into those cracks and see if that breaks the rust free.

116 3,804
 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
(11-05-2012, 04:54 PM)Dave Wrote: One thing you can try Matt is running a Q-Tip with just the tiniest bit of a non abrasive Polish (Flitz, Maas, Mothers, etc) into those cracks and see if that breaks the rust free.

My suggestion too. And if the Q-tip doesn't work, try a toothbrush.

Replating requires you to remove the surface and prep it properly for the new surface.

9 2,988
 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Here's the jist of what I got from Krona Kruiser:

"What I would do is do about 2-3 scrubbing bubbles bath with a stiff nylon brush (nail cleaning brush or denture brush). The scrubbing bubbles (foaming action) is safe enough to cut through that without polishing off the gold. However, scrub all you want but don't rub the finish with a cloth, pat it dry. Rubbing it with a towel causes more damage than using a brush and scrubbing bubbles. I would also use a wet toothpick when the razor is wet and has scrubbing bubbles on it to scrub away those rusty looking spots"

13 599
 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
Sounds like sound advice. I think the Maas would actually remove a layer even though it would for sure get rid of the rust.

9 2,988
 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
I'd try WD-40. I've never that take away plating.

21 1,478
 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
User Info
That's not rust. That's lacquer that has been put there by Gillette to protect the gold plating.

If you remove it you're destroying the razor. He loaned it to you, he didn't ask you to modify it, correct?

BTW, the metal below the gold plate is brass. Brass does not rust.

32 6,311
 11-05-2012, 11:17 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I agree - brass and gold don't rust so its most likely lacquer that your looking at. The plating on these gold razors are known to be quite thin and can come off easily.
Also I would suggest that you be careful using vinegar, its acetic acid an can take the plating right off.

2 506
 11-06-2012, 02:54 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(11-05-2012, 09:52 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That's not rust. That's lacquer that has been put there by Gillette to protect the gold plating.

If you remove it you're destroying the razor. He loaned it to you, he didn't ask you to modify it, correct?

BTW, the metal below the gold plate is brass. Brass does not rust.

No, he didn't ask me to "modify" it, but seeing as how I had assumed it was rust, I figured I would be a good friend and try to clean it for him and return it in better condition than when I had borrowed it.

I see what you guys are saying about the lacquer. I guess because it was transferring what looked to me like rust onto my razor blades, that it wasn't rust. I was unaware that the lacquer could come off and deposit onto the blade.

13 599
 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
User Info
Matt, feel free to clean it by gentle means. An old (or new) toothbrush with some toothpaste will do. Or a very brief soak in dish detergent with a gentle toothbrush "scrub" is about all you should do. Scrubbing bubbles would also qualitfy as gentle. The aim is only to remove soap scum, not the lacquer or anything else.

FWIW, I removed the gold plate from grand dads Auto Strop VC4 so I know whereof I speak about modification. I know how I felt about myself at the time, but I'm my own worst critic.

32 6,311
 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM
User Info
Most of what you are seeing is not rust. It is lacquer - something that dries up on the gold Gillette razors and turns orange.

What rust is there can be easily removed with an old toothbrush and soapy water. If its really hard to remove- try a brass brush.

PLEASE do not use brasso on ANY vintage razor - you'll strip the plating right off.

Even if you plate the razor, if you leave a blade in there you'll find yourself with rust deposits once again. Always take the blade out and let the razor air dry.

0 217
 11-09-2012, 08:30 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Thanks for all the tips guys!

I found that it was where water was being held in the handle after use and was held right up against the blade was causing the blade to rust.

Since Mark knew how much I enjoyed the razor in the time that I had it, he has since sold it to me.

I cleaned it up one last time with a soapy water mixture, and every time I use it, I disassemble it and leave all 3 pieces and the blade separate to air dry.

13 599
 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 08:30 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: Thanks for all the tips guys!

I found that it was where water was being held in the handle after use and was held right up against the blade was causing the blade to rust.

Since Mark knew how much I enjoyed the razor in the time that I had it, he has since sold it to me.

I cleaned it up one last time with a soapy water mixture, and every time I use it, I disassemble it and leave all 3 pieces and the blade separate to air dry.

It was actually the razor's decision. In my shave den, she sat around neglected and unloved and this was after a passionate initial affair between us. She resented my new romances with a bunch of snooty, though equally mature, French beauties. After she'd spent a while in Matt's den, I got a terse message from her informing me that she'd transferred her affections to a new, better man and would I let her go.

As the sages say, if you truly love someone, then you let them free...

5 298