11-06-2012, 06:47 PM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
Folks,

I don't really put anything in my hair right now, it's short and thick and fuzzy. I put some water on it in the morning and hope it doesn't 'fro out' by the afternoon. Anyway, I'm looking for a sleeker style to complement my Movember 'stache, and want to use pomade since it's a classic product, but have no idea where to start. What pomade should I use? How should I style it (method)? Will I need a special shampoo to wash the stuff out, like some really hardcore hair gels require?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

12 83
 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
While I'm very uneducated in these products, if you want something cheap that works well for me, try the pomade by Got2Be, which can be had at lots of chain stores like Walmart. It has good hold and lasts all day for me, plus it has a nice coconut scent! I find it to be very easy to wash out with any shampoo

35 1,732
 11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
Oil based pomade will require some special stuff to get out.

Water based pomades such as Suavecito & American crew wash out like normal.

Other than that, I'm no pomade expert.

9 2,988
 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
User Info
Jared, you could always just shave it off. It will be much easier and less expensive to maintain. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 11-07-2012, 02:47 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Two good places to start:

http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/pomade-reviews/

http://dappersociety.wordpress.com/category/pomades/

Plus, check out our hair product of the day thread here and there is some interesting info on that other forum that's called B&B Tongue

Otherwise, you've got petrol based that sometimes includes added waxes, you've got wax only types and you've got water based that sometimes includes added petrol and/or waxes.
Then you have light hair dressings and then you have tonics.
Either of those can have oils added or not. Biggrin
Some use products stand alone, some mix them.
Water soluble will rinse right out and there are several methods for fairly easy removal of a petrol or wax based pomade.

There are "Rockabilly" type pomades from companies that are geared toward that lifestyle. These are more of a "home brew" type and then there are major companies like Murray's,Dax,etx.
Then you have some type of pomade from just about every major hair care line from discount store availability to high end hair care brands with everything in between.
Both great shops, mainly for true hard core pomade:

http://www.thegreaseshop.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://www.pomade-shop.eu/ (There is an option to translate to English)

I hope that helps somewhat.

Eric

6 905
 11-07-2012, 03:58 AM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I've got some reading to do this morning. I'm really looking for something low-maintenance without a hard-hat type hold, so it sounds like a water-based pomade would be up my alley. I'll read up and report back soon.

(11-06-2012, 09:41 PM)celestino Wrote: Jared, you could always just shave it off. It will be much easier and less expensive to maintain. Hee hee.

I've considered it actually, but I don't want to give in until my bald spots get too noticeable Tongue

12 83
 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
Brylcreem.

7 898
 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
(11-08-2012, 11:06 AM)Deano Wrote: Brylcreem.

If the American Crew I picked up doesn't work out, then Brylcreem's next on my list.

Tried some of the Crew last night before hopping in the shower, the stuff washed out great but I had trouble finding the sweet spot for how much to use; used too little at first, then a tad more and I was pushing Greaser territory. The Mo' still needs a few more days of growth anyway, so I can get some more practice in the meantime.

12 83