11-06-2012, 11:51 PM
User Info
Hello TSN,

I recently started my double edged shaving adventure shortly before deploying. Back home I had a DE razor I picked up from a local beauty shop, Wilkinson Sword blades and that was it. I was using Gillette canned gel, no warm towel, pre or post cream, aftershave, nothing. Soon after I purchased a styptic pencil and VDH beginner kit but couldn't find the time with a new baby girl (Ava), a 4 year old son (Logan), wife and deployment looming over my head.

When I first arrived in Afghanistan I had no wet shaving supplies to start off with; no brush, cream, blades, not even a razor. The DE razor I brought with me was lost (or stolen..) en route here to my FOB (Forward/Foreign Operating Base). Since October 10th, with your help, we have been building a nook (literally, we built it (and it's still under construction)) to display the items sent from you all. It's made out of plywood, screws and metal brackets that we "acquired;" no paint and nothing fancy.

Every package that comes, whether by myself, another Soldier, or one of you fine Gentlemen, will be added to the nook on display and photographed and posted for you all to see how much you have helped us in our shaving adventure here in the desert.

Here is the Afghanistan Warzone Edition Nook and this is our story...

1954 Gillette SuperSpeed Flair Tip, Wilkinson Sword blades, Shea shave brush, C.O. Bigelow Cream and a paper bowl from our DFAC (cafeteria).

[Image: 10OCTNOOK.jpg]

Upgraded to a large orange, plastic bowl.

[Image: 20OCTNOOK.jpg]

Added a coffee mug (compliments of our chaplain).

[Image: 26OCTNOOK.jpg]

Nook, D.R. Harris almond and Palmolive Classic shaving stick, Merkur 1904 razor (with Personna Med Prep blades) (package sent by twallis, Troy!), Arko shave stick, Cella soap (200g), Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum, boar brush, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless, SharpEdge, Personna Platinums and Supers (package sent by ShadowsDad, Brian!), C.O. Bigelow cream, Van der Hagen boar brush, Wilkinson Sword blades, bowls (myself)

[Image: 101stShavingNook.jpg]

[Image: 101stShavingNook2.jpg]

Stay tuned for updates, stay safe and thanks for the support!

2 127
 11-07-2012, 05:10 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for sharing! You have a nice nook started there.

45 3,955
 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Matt

That's a nice looking nook you (and others) are putting together there, enjoy your shaves and stay safe Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM
User Info
An excellent beginning! I'll look forward to seeing it develop.

184 12,003
 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing, Matt. Stay safe.

47 1,270
 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
I'm actually quite happy to say that this nook is being shared. The VDH brush, KFBR aftershave, blades, '54 Gillette SS razor, and a paper bowl (lathers well, lol) are all being used between myself and another Soldier, so while it may be in my room it's not actually of my possession. Makes me feel great to be able to say that too Biggrin

2 127
 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing - and for sharing with your mate too.

3 3,580
 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Wow Matt! That's really great.

~Frank

18 271
 11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's just outstanding. One of the best nooks I've seen in a long time. And it can only get better.

173 23,546
 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
Stay safe and enjoy!

I've seen bigger and fancier nooks, but none more appreciated by the owner. Thumbsup

32 6,309
 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
User Info
It looks good Matt. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. We're going to make your shave den even better with the items you will be getting from our Xmas donation drive for your unit.

NOTE: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WISH TO CONTRIBUTE, PLEASE SEE THE THREAD "XMAS DONATIONS FOR THOSE DEPLOYED HAVE BEGUN" UNDER CONTESTS, DRAWINGS AND GIVE-A-WAYS.

37 2,965
 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
Thanks guys! I look forward to building the nook itself more before items arrive. I'm playing it by ear right now to see how it works out in it's current state but I'm trying to think of ideas to make it look more elegant and be a bit more practical. I dislike how it's all sitting there but not sure what else to do.

Any ideas? Any and all are welcome! Smile

2 127
 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM
User Info
Matt, fantastic little Nook you have there!
Be safe and i hope your Nook keeps growing.
You may want to use add some small plants, wild flowers, hardy weeds, wild berries, or the like to give it a bit of "energy".

75 20,883
 11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
User Info
Contact paper might make it look more finished. Do they make camo CP? Continuing along that line...

Or just scrounge something up? I'd be sniffing around and/or calling in favors. Or just wait and see if someone sends you something. Are you tight with your supply Sgt? Any old parachutes available? Wrap it and tack it.

Large ammo cans? Lay it on it's side as a sort of cabinet. Maybe 20mm?

32 6,309
 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
Not tight with her at all, or him really. She is reclassing (to supply, haha) and we don't have any old parachutes. I can do ammo cans but I was thinking more of plywood designs. Maybe instead I should be thinking outside the box as you are, which is ironic because where I am is 'inside the sandbox,' hah! I do have some poncho liners but they are BDU or ACU pattern, those are sorta in use...hmm..

I have a few ideas for SOTDs but I'm saving those for later to keep it interesting. Those will take time for me to post due to connection but my creativity there isn't necessarily lacking.

Sorry Gentlemen, I feel as if I only shot down your ideas :/

(11-07-2012, 08:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Contact paper might make it look more finished. Do they make camo CP? Continuing along that line...

Or just scrounge something up? I'd be sniffing around and/or calling in favors. Or just wait and see if someone sends you something. Are you tight with your supply Sgt? Any old parachutes available? Wrap it and tack it.

Large ammo cans? Lay it on it's side as a sort of cabinet. Maybe 20mm?

2 127
 11-07-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
You're the one on the spot, and as such you're the one who knows what can and can't be done.

Back when I was in South Sudan we put together a bar (aka "welfare building") for my Team Site by scrounging up spare lumber and bribing one of the local employees to build it. I'm sure that if you keeps your eyes open and your wits with you you'll find a way to make it look better than good.

Contact paper - as Brian suggested - might work if you can find it. A little bit of paint - if you can scrounge it - might go a long way. With the holiday coming up - only a month and a half away - you may get your hands on some wrapping paper, which could look decent. The only limitation on how you use what comes your way is your imagination - and sometimes regulations.

3 3,580
 11-07-2012, 09:46 PM
User Info
Matt, great looking nook. Keep us updated on how your journey goes. Stay safe.

129 6,685
 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
Matt, you shouldn't think that at all. They were presented only to trigger thoughts, brainstorming.

Maybe someone will send you something in a care package.

Matt, when I was active duty I had one of the nicest cubicals all done by scrounging. OK, I was HQ platoon also and had direct access to sources. You scratch my back, I scratch yours... you know how it works.

32 6,309
 11-09-2012, 08:17 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
First; Thank you all for serving our country!
It is great that you guys are getting to your roots in good order! Please take the time to enjoy any free moments that you have. Take care and be well!
~Richard

8 1,190
 11-25-2012, 11:49 PM
User Info
Matt. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well.

129 6,685