11-07-2012, 09:25 AM
User Info
My new Chubby 3 in Best just arrived a few days ago. The tips aren't quite as light in color as my Chubby 3 in Super, but it is otherwise identical - same soft tips, same density, same backbone. If I were blindfolded, I couldn't tell them apart. It's just a terrific brush!

I was so impressed with this brush that I contacted Jarrod at TheSuperiorShave and told him about it. He explained that, in his opinion, the quality standards for "Super" brushes are very tight, but that the standards for "Best" brushes are less so. In other words, there is more variation in the quality of "Bests", so you may get a good one or, like I did, a great one. I think this points up the importance of buying from a seller who will hand-pick your brush if you're ordering Best. Of course it's a good idea regardless of the type of brush you're ordering....

I also asked Jarrod if the Supers and Bests are made from the same hair. In his opinion, they are not (knot?), but after seeing this brush, I'm not so sure...

66 692
 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
User Info
IME Best has more of those dark hair inclusions. Some times it's the same general grade of hair, but other times, you can tell the difference pretty easily.

Jarrod's comment is basically what my thoughts on it are.

9 2,988
 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This is why Best is the best Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
Very close call, Bob.
As said, the Super is to the left - but very hard to tell.

The Super should have a larger bloom, because the Super 3 will tend to have finer thinner hairs, which will bloom more.
But some Best hair are very very fine indeed Cool

This is why I skip buying Best Hair and Super 3 of the Chubby 3 and will stick to Chubby 3 Manchurian and Chubby 3 2-Band - they both bloom less......

I like a bit of bloom, but not a HUGE GIGANTIC ONE Tongue

22 5,043
 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM
User Info
I think Jarrod is right. I have a Colonel in best, a cheap brush, that rivals some Simpson Supers I have used in tip softness and the tips are brilliant white, whereas I have a Duke 3 that is scritchy as heck and has brown tips. Just luck of the hair lot I suppose.

2 697
 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
What is the story behind the dark hair inclusions? I've noticed these with other manufacturers as well. Are they the result of sorting problems or just part of some grades that are not all silvertip hairs?

47 1,270
 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
(11-07-2012, 12:07 PM)kentclark Wrote: What is the story behind the dark hair inclusions? I've noticed these with other manufacturers as well. Are they the result of sorting problems or just part of some grades that are not all silvertip hairs?

Unsure what exactly they are since I am not a "live" badger expert. But I think I have a pretty good idea.

If you look at M. meles pictures, the badger is actually grey in color with white stripes. Well, silvertip hair isn't exactly only taken from the white striped areas. In fact, most of it is from the back.

The black hairs are also rough in shape, having a "cut" appearance. Well, no one in their right mind cuts the higher grade badger to shape. In fact, we don't even cut our black badger hair to shape. Anwyay, the hairs come from the pelt that way.

IME the hairs are both: 1) darker hairs that are part of the natural coloring; and 2) silvertip hairs whose white tips have broken off.

Of course, you can sort out the inclusions, but that involves more hand grading. You can also bleach the tips white, but careful inspection reveals the bleaching. The rest of the shaft is dark and the tip doesn't taper.

9 2,988
 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
(11-07-2012, 12:15 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(11-07-2012, 12:07 PM)kentclark Wrote: What is the story behind the dark hair inclusions? I've noticed these with other manufacturers as well. Are they the result of sorting problems or just part of some grades that are not all silvertip hairs?

Unsure what exactly they are since I am not a "live" badger expert. But I think I have a pretty good idea.

If you look at M. meles pictures, the badger is actually grey in color with white stripes. Well, silvertip hair isn't exactly only taken from the white striped areas. In fact, most of it is from the back.

The black hairs are also rough in shape, having a "cut" appearance. Well, no one in their right mind cuts the higher grade badger to shape. In fact, we don't even cut our black badger hair to shape. Anwyay, the hairs come from the pelt that way.

IME the hairs are both: 1) darker hairs that are part of the natural coloring; and 2) silvertip hairs whose white tips have broken off.

Of course, you can sort out the inclusions, but that involves more hand grading. You can also bleach the tips white, but careful inspection reveals the bleaching. The rest of the shaft is dark and the tip doesn't taper.

Interesting; thanks for sharing, Lee. It makes sense that those particular hairs would be more tactile and take longer to break in. Not sure if I have noticed a manufacturer that sorts those out but several do treat the tips.

47 1,270
 11-08-2012, 07:58 AM
User Info
I posted about it before, but I've found quite a difference in the 3 Simpson Best brushes I've purchased. My Colonel was a pretty good brush, my Duke 3 could probably pass for Super, and my Chubby 1 is rather scritchy. I don't expect to roll the dice on another considering what they charge for them.

15 762
 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
The differences for my 5 Chubbys (best/super) are enough to make them - literally - like using different brushes altogether. They are all excellent - and yes - I'm beginning to sound like a Chubby fanboy - but I really like the Chubbys a lot.

On the other hand - I owned a Tulip 4 in Super a while back that was a mop and had to go and a PJ3 2 Band that was a bit disappointing as well...just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Conversely, my Simfix Carnane 2 Band and the Simpson 59 2 Band are both extraordinary brushes that are probably at, or near, the top of the food chain in their respective sizes.

Most recently I acquired an Eshan with a 2 band knot clocking in around 22.7mm and I've been totally blown away by both the backbone and softness of this little brush. In fact, I think it's probably the best "smaller" brush that I've ever had the opportunity to use.

YMMV - and I've had to find that out personally. I should have loved the Tulip 4 Super and the PJ3 2 Band but didn't...I should have hated the tiny Ehsan - but ended up loving it instead. I should be able to easily pick the Chubby 3 Super over the Chubby 3 Best - but I can't. They are both so good but so different - that I have to keep them both (as with my Chubby 2 Best/Super, Chubby 1, etc...).

29 466
 11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
User Info
Guild: Well, that confirms what Jarrod said - and that's why I consider myself to be very lucky.

66 692
 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
Enjoy the brush, Bob.

75 20,883
 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
Going back in time, putting the "Best" closer to the light source @ left and the "Super" @ right, and waiting a bit, you might have had a wrong guess proffered.

0 72
 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
Good point - I bet you're right!

66 692
 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
Yeah, the one on the right is the super. It has a darker middle band.

9 2,988
 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
This is a great thread, it is amazing the differences in "best" knots.

What is also interesting is different face feel based on density changes within the same hair grade. For instance:
My CH1 three band super feels much more scrubby, almost a hint of scritch as compared to my CH3 in super. They are both the same hair grade but the low loft and lack of splay really makes the CH1 feel totally different.

The same goes for best: my CH2 in best is scritchy to me, but the Case and Wee scot literally tear my face to pieces because the knots are so compact and dense.

63 2,128
 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
User Info
I've been extremely lucky in my Simpson Best brushes I suppose, But I have only purchased one new. The others were used and I asked the owners what they were like. They are all very good indeed. I can't fault Simpson Best at all.

Yes, I suppose hand picking, or do as I did, purchase used and make sure of what you're buying is the way to bypass the other not so choice brushes in the Best "bin" (another way to ensure "hand picked"). Or just buy Super and be done with it.

32 6,308
 11-10-2012, 02:39 PM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 01:22 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I've been extremely lucky in my Simpson Best brushes I suppose, But I have only purchased one new. The others were used and I asked the owners what they were like. They are all very good indeed. I can't fault Simpson Best at all.

Yes, I suppose hand picking, or do as I did, purchase used and make sure of what you're buying is the way to bypass the other not so choice brushes in the Best "bin" (another way to ensure "hand picked"). Or just buy Super and be done with it.

If I am reading you correctly, before purchasing a Simpson Best brush, one should consider using a vendor like The Superior Shave who displays a picture of the actual brush you are going to purchase. Can a picture lessen the risk of getting something less than stellar?

Michael

24 276
 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 02:39 PM)monarch2001 Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 01:22 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I've been extremely lucky in my Simpson Best brushes I suppose, But I have only purchased one new. The others were used and I asked the owners what they were like. They are all very good indeed. I can't fault Simpson Best at all.

If I am reading you correctly, before purchasing a Simpson Best brush, one should consider using a vendor like The Superior Shave who displays a picture of the actual brush you are going to purchase. Can a picture lessen the risk of getting something less than stellar?

Michael

Only if you know what you are looking for. I could do it given enough pictures, but not just on two. I could get pretty close though.

I've also spent too much time staring at badger hair and learning it's secrets.

9 2,988
 11-11-2012, 04:51 AM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 02:52 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Only if you know what you are looking for. I could do it given enough pictures, but not just on two. I could get pretty close though.

I've also spent too much time staring at badger hair and learning it's secrets.

Those thoughts would prove a very interesting thread, indeed.

47 1,270