03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
One thing we always joke about is the acquisition disorders that come with shaving such as SBAD (Shave Brush Acquisition Disorder) and RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder). Besides shaving, what other acquisition disorders do you suffer from? W00t

45 16,310
 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I also collect vintage fountain pens and inks.

1 3,507
 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM
User Info
Wood pencils. I have several forests worth...Blush

0 419
 03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
User Info
Back when I was in medical practice, I collected wildlife art by artists such as Tom Mansanarez for my waiting room and exam rooms. But when I quit the practice I sold all the art. I miss it.

184 12,002
 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
At one time in my life I collected fountain pens but have narrowed the inventory to just the three pens I use. I am also a pipe smoker and at one time I had over 250 high dollar pipes. Now I just have four. I probably have more razors and brushes than I need, but what the heck. I really have only one disorder now, SGD (Spoiling Grandkids Disorder).

173 23,513
 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I don't know that I have fountain pen disorder, but I do have a few fountain pens. I write pretty much exclusively with fountain pens.

For a while I had a serious case of car detailing equipment and detailing product AD. I considered starting my own car detailing business.

I have a lot of cook books, probably over 100. And I'm going to inherit a nice cook book collection in the (hopefully not soon) future. I have a lot of kitchen tools to go with all the cook books.

7 1,018
 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My first personal firearm was a lovely Mauser 98 sporter in 30-06. I bought it while stationed in Kodiak. Everybody imagined heroically facing off a charging brownie and taking home a world class bearskin. Well, I went on a guided hunt, stalked a stunning and rare 'blue phase' brownie and had him in my lyman peep site. Bear was rolling on his back in the sunshine and enjoying life. I decided it was wrong to shoot. My guide and I shook hands on a successful 'hunt' and he promised not to allow anyone to 'harvest' the bear if seen again.
Through the years I've owned or fired just about every class of weapon. My passion, totally illogical continued to be fine Mauser 98 sporters in european cartridges. I'd find ie a 6.5x57 or .318 Westley-Richards and have to shell out major cash for comercial rounds or load my own. I would extend this insanity by going to the range and drop charging paper targets next to guys complaining how much .308 costDoubt
I was in University; trying to finance graduate school with 7 mausers ranging from that 6.5x57 to a .416 Taylor. I sold everything except a lovely .276 Rigby that saw service in British East Africa in the 1930s. My graduate summer found me in the 'emerald triangle' of NORCAL and having to use it in self defense vs so me pot farmers on a lumber road.
I've also owned book collections on obscure subjects, a decent oriental rug passion, pipes when I smoked and my current one ( besides shaving) which is Gilbert and Sullivan materials.

2 3,171
 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
Fortunately my AD's are confined to wet shaving - IMHO. Now, if you ask my wife she would probably say that I have quite a collection of items related to hunting. I do enjoy hunting and I hunt with a compound bow, a crossbow and firearms including black powder.

29 1,731
 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
For me, it has to be fountain pens. Modern, vintage, inexpensive, moderately priced, and one or two on the more expensive side. I now write almost exclusively with them but have been using them since high school and never really got the bug out of my system.

2 11,211
 03-22-2012, 05:29 AM
User Info
I've been pretty acquisitive at various points in my life. When I didn't have a significant income, it was books that would pile up in my rooms. Later, I took up pipe smoking and it's attendant acquisitions (pipes should be dedicated to particular varieties of tobacco). Guns were fairly self limiting, but I always had a short list of things I coveted (don't ask if I still do). The strangest was working for the bike shop down the road. It was a good part time job while I finished my degree, but I spent more than I made and developed a stable of bikes. My wife has three (road, mtn. and city) and I have five (3xroad, mtn. and a track bike). That's eight bikes for two people, if you weren't following along. That becomes a storage disorder really quickly.

At least wet shaving is a fairly compact hobby. I may acquire a few more razors and brushes, but they won't take up more than a shoebox of storage. Blades are really what I'm in the mood to hoard. I wish we could still get Rapira/Ladas/Voskhod...

Though I haven't gone shooting in eight or so years, I still smoke my pipes and ride my bikes (not concurrently).

3 195
 03-22-2012, 05:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I smoked my pipe once while riding my motorcycle. It was an unpleasant experience.

173 23,513
 03-22-2012, 06:06 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I make it simple I collect everything....Razors,Pocket knives,Guns,ballpoint pens,Radios,Watches,Tools,Bicycles....but like most collectors it is until you find object perfection..then you move on or based on current need until you find and obtain what works best. Me sick? no just a hobby...whole collection worth less than one expensive painting or exotic wine..etc. Someone once said ..." you spend 1/2 your life collecting and the rest trying to give it away or find another WORTHY person to take over"...works for me !!!!!

6 1,913
 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
User Info
Guns are my other AD, primarily model 1911s (found Here). I did promise myself that if ever the day came that it all wouldn't fit into my safes, I would stop. So I did. Now I must sell something to buy something.

And the wheel goes round.

2 546
 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
or....buy a bigger safe...remove the back wall or start collecting safes !!!!!![

6 1,913
 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
User Info
(03-22-2012, 08:01 AM)Harvey Wrote: or....buy a bigger safe...remove the back wall or start collecting safes !!!!!![

Yeah Harvey, I know. But it's kinda hard adding a new safe without the wifey noticing. My last one cost me dearly. Dodgy

2 546
 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
Cigars & Pistols mostly

1 77
 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Former ADs
Razors
Watches
Cigars
Hardwoods
Fountain pens (I'm a lefty and that eventally killed the AD)

Current ADs
Razors Wink
Briefcases
Shave kits
Notebooks, journals
Kitchen tools and gadgets
Tool boxes, bags
Tools

Crap, I need help. Sad

35 2,703
 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-22-2012, 10:38 AM)texbilly Wrote: Former ADs

Fountain pens (I'm a lefty and that eventally killed the AD)

Current ADs

Crap, I need help. Sad

I've been writing with a fountain pen since I was twelve years old, and I'm a lefty. What's your problem? Smile

Yes you do. Smile

173 23,513
 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
firearms, gold/silver coins and books on liberty and Austrian economics.

40 5,830
 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
WE DO NOT NEED HELP !!!! WE are just helping the economy...it is our duty..we struggle but we must spread money around..it is too dangerous to keep buckets of money. (and what fun is that?)I say spend like hell and never look back..for our country we must sacrifice.....

6 1,913