11-07-2012, 02:57 PM
User Info
Got in on the North American tour of the Cobra Classic and figured I'd post after my first use.

I did not shave for the last couple days in anticipation of the razor arriving this week.

First impressions-
It is quite the looker as the pictures online don't do it justice, with it's gleaming chrome back side to it's ribbed underbelly. It is also heavier than I imagined but surprisingly less wide than I thought it would be.

I cleaned it up with a quick dip in 70% alcohol and then a warm water rinse and then proceeded to make some practice runs (without blade of course) to check angle and how it felt in my hand. I had heard a lot of complaints about the handle on the razor and some had wished it came with more of a conventional round handle but I actually like the grip on it, both going N-S as well as E-W I had no issue with the handle being uncomfortable or slippery at all.

I mixed up some Proraso cream and figured I'd try the more "mellow" of the two blade choices so I loaded up a Kai Captain Titan Mild and proceeded to do my typical N-S first pass and the first thing I noticed was how quiet the shave was compared to my R41. My R41 "sings" as it is mowing down the stubble, especially a couple days worth and the Kai's were silent. The Kai blade was also slightly tugging at my facial hair which I am not used to with my favorite blades loaded in my R41, the Super Iridium's.

This kind of surprised me as I know people say the Kai blades in general are extremely sharp.

I made it through my first pass and then lathered for my second -an ATG pass like I do with all my razors for the second pass. With less facial hair I had none of the tugging like on the first pass.
Two passes down and was going for some touch up under my nose and this is where the Cobra struck- a nice cut under my left nostril.

It really was no fault of the razor but my own as I was getting a little too relaxed in my routine.

Finished up my shave with a cold water rinse and then a pass of the Bloc Osma Alum and besides a slight sting on one part of my neck it felt great. I splashed on some Clubman on and was good to go.

I will post again after some more time with the Cobra.

5 337
 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm not surprised it bit you. I love the Kai Mild blades in anything I've tried (Feather folding, Cobra, CJB, etc). They're far smoother than the Feathers. The Cobra is a wonderful razor and the closest thing to a Modern Injector there is right now.

116 3,804
 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review of your first experience with the Cobra. The Kai Captain mild blade is better then the Feather because its smoother and lasts a bit longer. When I had my Cobra Classic I used to get a minimum of 10 shaves per blade. In a way I am sorry I sold mine. I found the loading of a blade fairly easy and straight forward but unloading can be a pain. I would have preferred a round handle with knurling but Classic has kept the design exactly how it was from their first production run.

100 12,437
 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
I thought the Cobra used special blades? You can't just use any DE blade in it, right?

2 127
 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
Matt,
The Cobra uses proprietary blades
See here:
http://connaughtshaving.com/feapb20.html

as well as these:
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...s-no-guard

5 337
 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
* Jeff, congratulations on your success. The Cobra is a very effective razor. Good luck with it.

* Matt, here is another video of the Cobra and the blades used for it: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/it...873469.htm

75 20,883
 11-07-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
I see, that makes more sense and what I thought it used, Jeff. Thanks for the links, very kind of you!

So even though I'm attracted to using a Cobra it wouldn't make sense because of the blades and pricing, huh? Well that is a bit of downer! It's just such a beautiful razor!

2 127
 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Feather Pro blades can be obtained for anywhere from .60 to .75 per blade if you look around a bit. They will generally last you a full week...which makes it, in my opinion, a very affordable shaving program.

I have a pretty decent collection of shaving gear and I find the Cobra Classic to be the best of the bunch for overall shaving.

29 466
 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM
User Info
Matt: I second Samjax's comment. The blades aren't really that expensive. As a matter of fact, for me, they are cheaper than regular Feather blades because when I use regular Feathers in my traditional DE razors, I usually toss them after 2 uses. With the Cobra, I get 8 - 10 good shaves from each blade.

66 692
 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
Shave # 2 in the books...

Face lathered with Mike's Barber Shop soap and a Vufix Grosvenor and got a nice,creamy lather throughout the shave-gotta love Mike's.
Made three passes with the Cobra/Kai combo and did not have an issue with tugging,cuts or weepers. The alum block did not sting one bit.

What I did notice was the closeness or should I say lack of closeness of the shave-
I am normally a two pass shaver with some small touch-up and buffing on my chin but after two passes I was not clean shaven and needed three passes to clean things up. Even after the three passes I am nowhere near BBS.

I am swiching to the Feathers for tomorrows/Saturdays shave so I'll see if the sharper Feathers cut closer with fewer passes.

5 337
 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
Jeff, if you find the Feather Pros too sharp, you could try corking them before their very first use. i have been doing that since hearing about it ten months ago and it helps temper them and they become very smooth after the second or third shave.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Has anyone tried the Kai Sharps yet?

Captain Titan Mild is nice and smooth but a tad too mild for me now and the Feather Pro's are too much. I will try to cork one. Thanks for that info Celestino!

I'm hoping that the Kai Sharps turn out to be the alternative.

6 905
 11-10-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
Shave #3 completed.

This time I loaded in a Feather blade & used my 22mm XH TGN custom brush to bowl lather Proraso.
Gotta say this about Proraso-It is the cream I reach for most when I am trying out new blades/razors as it is so protective.Great stuff.

Back to the shave-
I was a little reluctant testing out the Feather's in the Cobra. I hated the Feather DE blades in both of my other razors so I was expecting the same here.

My fears were put to rest after the very first pass. It was much better than the Kai's,no pulling or tugging whatsoever, just a nice smooth shave from start to finish.

I made 2 1/2 passes with some light touchup around my chin and finished up with the Alum,slightly more sting on my neck area than the Kai blades but nothing really that bad.
I felt my face after a cold water rinse and it was a DFS...not quite BBS as I had a little stubble to the sides of my mouth which I normally have no issues with. It was probably more of a pressure issue on my end as I was extremely careful as my thoughts of Feather's DE blades are fresh in my mind and I typically use a very light pressure with my R41.

On my next shave I will apply more pressure and see where that leads me.

Any of you Cobra owners out there use pressure when shaving or just let the weight of the razor head do the job?

5 337
 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
I use pressure where needed without any ill effect, including no irritation. I especially do so in those trouble areas where stubble likes to hide.

18 242
 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM
User Info
i also apply pressure in some trouble spots, but i am cautious as not to go over the area many times. Enjoy the razor!

75 20,883
 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM
User Info
I agree that a little extra pressure works well where needed, but that repeatedly going over the same area causes irritation.

66 692
 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
Shave #4 done:

Tonight I used the same Feather blade used in shave #3. A Vulfix Grosvenor was the brush of choice and I decided to use a never before used soap for me...Speick Stick.

The soap had a nice smell and produced great lather, similiar to a Palmolive stick which I really like.

I made 2 1/2 passes but the diference this time was I used a good amount of pressure. Like I said in the past review I thought the Cobra was rather mild and was missing some areas around my mouth.

The added pressure resulted in a nice smooth shave especially on my neck area with just a slight amount of stubble left to both sides of my mouth. I think it the wide blade just not getting into that particular area.

I finished off with the Alum block and only a slight sting was felt. No aftershave was used as I wanted to feel if there was any razor burn down the road-there wasn't.

5 337
 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
Shave #5 tonight-

Used my $2.45 Horsehair brush with P160 soap.

A nice lather but I am still on the fence with horsehair...just too skritchy and had to paint on the lather as circular motions are too rough for my face.

The shave mirrored #3 and #4 very smooth. I am getting a little too carefree using the Cobra, whipping it about my face, using pressure, and not a single cut or weeper. But...
still have to work on the sides of my mouth and the middle part of my neck. Both still have light stubble after the second and third pass.

Used the alum but used it as more of a "guide" in seeing how the razor preformed.No aftershave used.

One more shave before the Cobra heads out Wednesday to the next lucky tour recipient.

5 337
 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
Try stretching your skin where you are having trouble getting smooth. SEs are pretty similar to straights & I'm finding that skin stretching can really assist the shave.

31 7,912
 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Try stretching your skin where you are having trouble getting smooth. SEs are pretty similar to straights & I'm finding that skin stretching can really assist the shave.

+1 i do that in my trouble spots also and it the Cobra works very effectively in this way.

75 20,883