11-08-2012, 11:33 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250854.JPG?m=1352399896]

It was a thought of mine , from a long time ago , actually from 2010 , when I got the New Forest 2201 in super badger two band brush , that Chinese could deliver a good product , like the first New Forest brushes were.Wet Shaving Products brushes are a clear example (again) of that.

I must admit that I play with advantage , since I was lucky enough to test and try the prototypes of these new Wet Shaving Products brushes , after A Sharper Razor (Lee) , requested me to do so and give him my honest opinion.I like some more than others , I can tell you that and I gave him my ideas/thoughts about the brushes , but he had an ace up under his sleeve with this "Monarch" shaving brush. I knew he was working very hard to find an extra quality silvertip badger hair and I thought he was planning in getting the shavemac D01 silvertip or the Simpson super badger 3 band hair , but I have to say that Im beyond surprise with this super silvertip hair used in "the Monarch" brush , since , to me , its the closest one that I can find or have tried/tested , to current Plisson High Mountain White 3 band.Yes , you have read right , that's what I have written , this silvertip hair is basically like the High Mountain White 3 band currently use by Plisson. But step by step , and let me tell you some things about this shaving brush first.

Wet Shaving Products have improved the presentation of its brushes : now they come on a sturdy cardboard box , and the brush is covered with a thin paper , like Simpson brushes :

[Image: P1250853.JPG?m=1352399894]

That is truly a plus on the presentation , and other brands could learn from this.

The brush has the following measures :
  • 23 mm knot
  • 54/55 mm loft (mine is around 55/56 mm)
  • 50 mm handle height
  • 106 mm total height

which makes it a medium on the big side , shaving brush.

[Image: P1250856.JPG?m=1352399894]

The handle is made of resin , and have a very nice pattern , as you can see in the pics. Its a quiet heavy handle , and its shaped also , its "inspired" Biggrin on the Kent most iconic series , the BK/BKL .What else can I say here that you gentlemen don't already know?Comfortable and extra classic handle , and in this case , very well finish it , quiet heavy for its size (50 mm , almost like the Kent BK4 handle height) and a pleasure to look at in your bathroom cabinet/shelf.

[Image: P1250859.JPG?m=1352400115]

This brush has a very well packed with hair knot , like Plisson or Vie Long brushes. Its not quiet as dense as a Simpson or Rooney , but not by much.You can see the pic and check what Im talking about.Wink

[Image: P1250858.JPG?m=1352400113]

And now let me write about its badger hair , since I know its what you all want to read , specially after I did write , that its very similar to the Plisson current High Mountain White 3 band badger hair.

When I first saw pics of this brush , I was kind of surprised , since its loft was taller than I was expected or thought they would be , to be honest. I was like , "mmmm , thats going to be kind of floppy , even if the hair is like premium silvertip" , but I reserved one , (actually , each of the new brushes) and there was only a way to find it out.
The first thing I noticed about this hair , out of the box , was how firm it was , for its 55/56 mm loft , and no noticeable glue bump on it ! I was kind of puzzled about it. Well , as I said , only one way to find out , so I lather up this brush (the hair stinks very bad , by the way...) and the backbone was there , as well as a good flow , something that I haven't much experienced in silvertip brushes with this tall loft , so I "understood" then : this is the special hair that A Sharper Razor was looking for like crazy , the one which is basically the High Mountain White used by Plisson.

This hair is a tiny little less thicker than the Plisson HMW 3 band that I have tried , but behaves exactly like it : excellent backbone , great flow and also some scritchiness on the tips.The tips , by the way , are very white , as you can see in the pics , more whiter than the other silvertip badger hair use by WSP.

The brush performs equally well with triple milled shaving soaps (any hard soap) than with croaps or shaving creams.Due to its quiet thick hair , backbone , flow and hair density , is mixes water , air and soap/cream very fast , making lather in no time.

I also like that this brush has more of a "hybryd knot" shaped , instead of the extreme bulb shaped than Plisson brushes have.This allows to make lather on the face with circular strokes much more easily than with a Plisson brush , so its a plus for the face latherer. Of course , you can also use it with painting strokes.

Here is a pic of the post blooming knot :

[Image: P1250878.JPG?m=1352400290]

Just notice how its hair doesn't "splays" like super badger or silvertip hair , with this tall loft , and again , no glue bump on its base , like Plisson HMW 3 band brushes.

Yes , I know that this is quiet surprising , but this hair is so , so similar to the one that Plisson uses in their High Mountain White 3 band brushes, that It would be hard for me to distinguish (Im not a Plisson fan , but I have tried quiet few of those brushes).

[Image: P1250857.JPG?m=1352400115]

The brush has a price of 74,99 dollars..Again , this is a brush 100% made in China but , as we some already know , Chinese could deliver excellent brushes or crappy ones , like many of us have experienced.Yes , you're not buying tradition or history , like when you buy a Plisson or a Simpson , but you are getting quality , very good quality for its price.

I honestly dont know what else to say regarding this brush , I hope that A Sharper Razor (Wet Shaving Products) could provide us more info about this super silvertip hair.

86 7,123
 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks for the review Teiste! When will do a write up on the new WSP 2-band?

88 4,233
 11-08-2012, 11:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-08-2012, 11:40 AM)beartrap Wrote: Thanks for the review Teiste! When will do a write up on the new WSP 2-band?

Let me some time to test it / try it , and I will.

86 7,123
 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
User Info
Man Teiste, you are causing me to soon have both versions of the Monarch.

* SharpSpine scrounges for more stuff to sell. What's that? A slant?

31 7,914
 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
I keep hearing great things about these brushes. It's a looker with some rather special hair. For the price, it's a bargain IMO.

Great work Lee. Keep it up!

7 1,179
 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
Teiste, great review!

75 20,883
 11-08-2012, 09:31 PM
User Info
Great review Teiste! I have owned a Plisson HMW and was very impressed with that hair as well. Not worth the money imo, but well worth the experience. It's nice to see that Lee is bringing some quality Chinese brushes to the market.

63 2,128
 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
User Info
Tieste, how would you compare this knot to the Shavemac D01 hair?

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-09-2012, 12:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Tieste, how would you compare this knot to the Shavemac D01 hair?

They're very different , my friend.
As I said , this one is the closest hair to Plisson High Mountain White 3 band hair , that I have founded so far.The D01 silvertip is extra packed with hair , but the natural backbone is not as strong as this one.Flow in both hairs is good too , and tips have basically the same softness with some scritch , but they feel different , I must say.

86 7,123
 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 12:58 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 12:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Tieste, how would you compare this knot to the Shavemac D01 hair?

As I said , this one is the closest hair to Plisson High Mountain White 3 band hair , that I have founded so far.The D01 silvertip is extra packed with hair , but the natural backbone is not as strong as this one.Flow in both hairs is good too , and tips have basically the same softness with some scritch , but they feel different , I must say.

Thanks Teiste! I've never used a Plisson, let alone HMW. So you say that the WSP has more backbone than the D01?

31 7,914
 11-10-2012, 12:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-09-2012, 01:03 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Thanks Teiste! I've never used a Plisson, let alone HMW. So you say that the WSP has more backbone than the D01?

Yes , with less density of hair , has more backbone.

86 7,123
 11-10-2012, 12:44 AM
User Info

(11-10-2012, 12:08 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 12:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: They're very different , my friend.

Plisson is known for using a heavier gauge hair than most other manufactures though.

Teiste, I'm curious though, since the hair isn't as thick on the WSP brush, is it packed denser than a Plisson?!

0 652
 11-10-2012, 12:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-10-2012, 12:44 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 12:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: They're very different , my friend.

(11-10-2012, 12:08 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 01:03 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Thanks Teiste! I've never used a Plisson, let alone HMW. So you say that the WSP has more backbone than the D01?

Plisson is known for using a heavier gauge hair than most other manufactures though.

Teiste, I'm curious though, since the hair isn't as thick on the WSP brush, is it packed denser than a Plisson?!

I wouldn't say that mine is more packed than the Plisson HMW 3 band that I have tried.The knot shape is different , since the Plisson has a very pronounced bulb shape , while this one is more of a hybrid shaped , so its has a different "behavior".

86 7,123
 11-10-2012, 04:25 AM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 12:47 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 12:44 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 01:03 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Thanks Teiste! I've never used a Plisson, let alone HMW. So you say that the WSP has more backbone than the D01?

(11-10-2012, 12:08 AM)Teiste Wrote: Yes , with less density of hair , has more backbone.

I wouldn't say that mine is more packed than the Plisson HMW 3 band that I have tried.The knot shape is different , since the Plisson has a very pronounced bulb shape , while this one is more of a hybrid shaped , so its has a different "behavior".

I gotcha, so the hair is similar feel wise, but the brush acts different due to the shape of the knot then.

0 652
 11-10-2012, 07:11 AM
  • jss
User Info
Thanks Mr "T...."

Julian

0 264
 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-10-2012, 04:25 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 12:47 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 12:44 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Plisson is known for using a heavier gauge hair than most other manufactures though.

I gotcha, so the hair is similar feel wise, but the brush acts different due to the shape of the knot then.

There you go , my friend.Yes , the Plisson is not quiet comfortable to use with circular strokes , due to its very pronounced bulb shape (also has scritchy tips) while this one culd be used with circular and painting motions , and its tips are softer.

86 7,123
 11-11-2012, 05:36 AM
User Info
Excellent review as always my friend.

1 2,827
 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I whisker-whack every day, and Mr. Dermis can't take alot of scritch, so I went with the Super Silvertip. The handle on the Monarch reminds me of Butterscotch Swirl ice cream, so I will have to resist taking a bite out of the handle Smile Now if we could just start "scenting" the handles with "suggestive" fragrances...gosh, I gotta go check my sugar, now.

0 1,291
 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
Used my Super Silvertip for the first time this morning. I was quite impressed at how well it loaded a hard soap (D.R. Harris). It even gave me the best lather I've had to date from this soap. I look forward to using it more and putting my thoughts together on it as well.

31 7,914
 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mantic59 have reviewed this brush too : Sharpologist Mantic 59 The Monarch Super Badger shaving brush review

I wonder is he is shilling these brushes too...Rolleyes

And he is giving away one of these brushes , for what it seems like , so if any wants to try one , maybe can get it for free on Sharpologist giveaway.

86 7,123