03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
So I had a ring at my door a bit ago only to find the postman left behind a package from Phil and Bullgoose Shaving! Open it up to find my 2012 LE horse/badger mix. Though it's an unseasonably warm and beautiful day here in Western New York, I couldn't resist that first go around like a child at Christmas.

Opening the box, I immediately noticed the heft of the handle. I have been wondering why the otherwise large knot from Vie-Long looked so small in all of the posted pictures, and it's because the handle is absolutely huge in comparison. Good huge, the kind of large that makes whipping lather enjoyable and pleasant. So I soaked it for a few minutes and gave it a whirl.

The horse/badger mix was a bit on the funky side smell wise, but having other Vie-Long horses the barnyard smell seems almost expected and refreshing. After a good soak, it was off to the races. I immediately noticed when pouring off the soaking water that there was some color coming off the brush, but the brush itself looked fine. I'm guessing the dye in the bleached horse had something to give back. The brush absolutely held its own against SRD Lime soap, and just to make things interesting I added a bit of Palmolive Indian Lime cream to make something fierce. Whipping the lather was no issues, the handle is comfortable and not so large that I was clanking it against my bowl. Unfortunately, the lather was a stodgy gray color from the dye, but no worries. It was a citrus-mild horse explosion.

This brush has exactly what I like bristle wise. It was a bit on the scritchy side, but I'm expecting that to kind of give in as the bristles break down and soften. Exceptional backbone, this really exfoliated my beard and had everything on the up and up for my 40's Style Super Speed to do it's job. Nothing too abrasive though, my face was a bit irritated but by no means is it something beyond what a few good uses and a nice after shave balm can fix.

Here's to Phil for working so hard to produce a brush that really shines. The handle, not only a work of art but so comfortable, was well planned and well executed. The bristles seem like they have true potential to shine in the near future. And the price? I would pay it any day.

0 37
 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
  • HCB
User Info
Great review. I am eagerly awaiting the silver tip version. I will post some comments when it arrives as well. Thanks again for the review.

1 34
 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Nice write up Morgan. I also got my badger/horse brush in the mail today and it's already had two test lathers. I noticed the same discoloration as you on the first lather but I didn't see any dye or change in color on the second lather. Both test lathers were with Goldachs, and the brush had no problem creating a nice lather. The handle is nice, it has a great heft and it comfortable to hold.

7 1,018
 03-22-2012, 07:52 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Having made a total of five lathers with this brush so far, four test lathers and one lather for this mornings shave I think that Phil has hit a home run with this brush.

Flow through is great, actually it might be as good as my Thater Cream Stout 2. The brush has great backbone with out being too scrubby and the tips are soft with a tiny amount of scritch.

7 1,018
 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
User Info
I also received this brush yesterday. It was well worth the wait, if my test lathers are anything to go by.

I couple of lathers with Tabac killed any funky smell it had, and the first lather removed all the excess dye. The tips feel good and the knot density is great too. It seems to be pretty much what I hoped, but it will take a few actual uses to decide on that.

If I was forced to pick one aspect of this brush that I am not entirely pleased with, it would be the knot:handle dimension ratio. The knot looks to be a little too short in loft for a handle this size.

However, that's nit-picking, and I really think that Phil and Vie-Long did a great job on the brush. Kudos to them!

37 1,731
 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Just ordered my LE Horse/Badger mix, I'm definitely glad I chose this over the straight horse. The reviews here and elsewhere sound great, I can't wait for Monday to get here and add it to my collection!

35 1,732
 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Teiste was kind enough to take a few pictures of the mixed beehive brush for me.

45 16,278
 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
Found mine patiently waiting for it's new owner when I got to NJ yesterday from overseas. Love the look and feel. Took two long soaks and four hand lathers to get out all the dye/dirt. Interesting "sharp" smell. The combo of badger and horse (borse? Hoadger?)? First shave, on a 36 hour stubble using Spanish Bea stick, coming up.

5 83
 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
I've done about a half dozen test lathers on this one and a couple uses face lathering.

While I like a good scritchy brush, this one is almost too prickly for me. I picked up the natural horse at the same time with the intentions of keeping only one and the natural is leading the way.

11 185
 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The mixed does seem to take a bit longer to loosen up. I have about 12 uses in on my mixed beehive and it is starting to feel much softer. I agree with you though...between the two, I prefer the natural horse version. YMMV and all that.

45 16,278