11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
I just came across WegianWarrior's thread "A suggested 10$ starter kit for new wetshavers" and thought it was great!

I have a cousin who has been asking me questions about wetshaving. He's been using an electric for years, and is unhappy with the shave he gets. He's tried using a mach 3 and it "tore up" his face.

I drew his name for "secret Santa" this year, and I've decided I'd like to get him a starter kit to introduce him to the wonders of wetshaving. Our spending limit is $20 so I am hoping that people here would help me out by suggesting a starter kit that would fall in that price range. I could go with the $10 kit suggested above (and throw in some Bay Rum and maybe a blade sampler pack). but thought that if I doubled the limit, maybe I could get him something even better.

Thanks!

2 234
 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I'd get a VdH kit and the L6 razor. Many more variants, I'll think some more and post it.

88 4,233
 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
I know Italian Barber has some inexpensive starter kits, but I don't remember the prices.

32 6,309
 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
If you have time to shop around for a user grade Vintage Gillette DE you could probably pick up a Super Speed which would be a very good starter for $10 or under. I would keep checking the B/S/T of this and other forums. The Turkish Horsehair No.6 would be a good start and is one of the only brushes you could go with considering price. There are several good blades out there but I would suggest Astra's which are top notch and cheap. An Arko shave stick and an Arko Cream Tube would be a good start. For an aftershave Barbasol Pacific Rush can be found at Dollar Generals for under $2 and is one of the best values in shaving.

45 3,955
 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
If you shop around you might be able to score a Feather Popular or a Wilkinson Sword Classic for around 10$, leaving you with a "lot" of money to spend on soaps and blades... both are good, mild shavers suited IMO to new wetshavers.

The No6 is cheap and cheerful, and I'm more than happy with mine. Quality can be a bit up and down if online reviews are to be trusted, but that's to be expected from a brush that's so cheap.

Personally I would not pick an ARKO stick for a new shaver, unless you're confident that he won't object to the scent. Everyone seems to agree that the ARKO lathers like no other, but there is lots of arguments over the scent... I like it, but then YMMV Tongue Try gifting him some GzD instead if you wish to go for a stick, or look at creams from ARKO, Dalan d'Men or Derby.

Blades can be a minefield too; if you got the pennies to spend, you might consider picking up two or even three different brands. Astras are usually good, but so are Wilkinson Swords and many, many others.

Still got a few pennies rattling in your pocket? Why not put a little thing of alum in there too?

If you plan to order all or any of these things from BestShave I would make up my mind fast; shipping from Turkey isn't fast even at the best of times, and we are coming up on the holidays.

3 3,575
 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I like ordering from BestShave because, I look every day for the package to arrive.

1 819
 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
User Info
Thanks for your suggestions. I was going to go with the L6 razor (I think I might pick one up for me they're so inexpensive) but decided to take Travis' advise and took a look at the B/S/T board. I ended up buying a Schick Krona (which is my current razor of choice) for $8.

I will likely go with the VdH kit (hopefully I score one for cheap at Walmart or Target), and small blade sampler. if I have a few bucks left over I might throw in a small bottle of Bay Rum A/S.

If anyone has any other suggestions, though- keep'em coming.

2 234
 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
Great pick up on the Krona. Take a look at the Frank Shaving synthetic brush offered by Star Shaving. A great brush for 11.99 + shipping. To go less expensive, I would affirm the Turkish No 6 brush from bestshave.net.

47 1,270
 11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 06:41 PM)el_mustango Wrote: Thanks for your suggestions. I was going to go with the L6 razor (I think I might pick one up for me they're so inexpensive) but decided to take Travis' advise and took a look at the B/S/T board. I ended up buying a Schick Krona (which is my current razor of choice) for $8.

I will likely go with the VdH kit (hopefully I score one for cheap at Walmart or Target), and small blade sampler. if I have a few bucks left over I might throw in a small bottle of Bay Rum A/S.

if I knew you were looking for a kit, I would of threw in some DE blades and some shaving sticks I had. Sad

40 5,830
 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 08:12 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 06:41 PM)el_mustango Wrote: Thanks for your suggestions. I was going to go with the L6 razor (I think I might pick one up for me they're so inexpensive) but decided to take Travis' advise and took a look at the B/S/T board. I ended up buying a Schick Krona (which is my current razor of choice) for $8.

if I knew you were looking for a kit, I would of threw in some DE blades and some shaving sticks I had. Sad

that would have been very generous! Thanks

Does anyone know how long bestshave.net takes to ship to the US. If I order today, approx when will it get here? My cousin (whom this kit is for) lives in TX (I live in NY) but is driving here to visit for Thanksgiving, and I would like to give it to him then. Any chance I'll have the shipment by then?

2 234
 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(11-11-2012, 09:00 AM)el_mustango Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 08:12 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

that would have been very generous! Thanks

Does anyone know how long bestshave.net takes to ship to the US. If I order today, approx when will it get here? My cousin (whom this kit is for) lives in TX (I live in NY) but is driving here to visit for Thanksgiving, and I would like to give it to him then. Any chance I'll have the shipment by then?

I've never ordered from them but from what I've read on here it sounds like if it goes through NY customs it might not be there yet. It could be close to amonth before you get it.

45 3,955
 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
Too late to ship by then, I'm afraid.

47 1,270
 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
(11-11-2012, 11:46 AM)kentclark Wrote: Too late to ship by then, I'm afraid.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. Too bad for my cousin, but I still plan on placing an order for me, because the pricing seems too good to pass up, and it allows me to try some new stuff.

I will make my final decisions as to the $20 kit within the next day or two. I've got the razor (Schick Krona) and will likely go with the VdH kit. I was hoping to get him a few different blades for him to try and even a bottle of A/S but I might not be able to get it all and stay within the $20 limit, esp since bestshave.net is not an option.

2 234