11-08-2012, 07:45 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
For the first time, I bought a Proraso shaving cream off eBay and the tube looks like someone squeezed it... Some 25% of cream is missing. The box nevertheless was not deformed. Do these creams come in sealed tubes? I mean a seal you should puncture with something to get the cream out. Very strange.

Anybody with similar experience?

1 90
 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Proraso tubes are not sealed other than the screw on cap. Sounds like you did not get a new tube.

173 23,519
 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
(11-08-2012, 08:05 PM)Johnny Wrote: Proraso tubes are not sealed other than the screw on cap. Sounds like you did not get a new tube.
Thanks. That was my impression too... If someone could put a new 150 ml 5.2 oz tube on a scale, that would be great. My scale showed 168 g (gross weight). The net weight supposed to be 147 g. Thanks.

1 90
 11-08-2012, 09:20 PM
User Info
I weighed two brand new tubes, one was 166g and the other was 167g.

0 91
 11-08-2012, 09:22 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
(11-08-2012, 09:20 PM)ChicagoShaving Wrote: I weighed two brand new tubes, one was 166g and the other was 167g.
Thank you, Chicago! So, it looks like even new ones are not full. Interesting

1 90
 11-08-2012, 09:28 PM
User Info
Wow, that is interesting! Good luck with the soap, nonetheless.

75 20,883
 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
User Info
(11-08-2012, 09:22 PM)HUF Wrote:
(11-08-2012, 09:20 PM)ChicagoShaving Wrote: I weighed two brand new tubes, one was 166g and the other was 167g.
Thank you, Chicago! So, it looks like even new ones are not full. Interesting

You should see the Musgo Real Shaving Cream Tubes. They are sealed but the tubes look like they have been squeezed.

0 91
 11-09-2012, 04:44 AM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
Probably just another manufacturer's gimmick to give a buyer an impression he buys a lot more than he actually does.

1 90
 11-09-2012, 06:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
They should mark them like cereal boxes and potato chip packages.

Filled by weight, not by volume.

173 23,519
 11-09-2012, 08:04 AM
User Info
(11-08-2012, 07:45 PM)HUF Wrote: Half empty Proraso cream tube?

For the first time, I bought a Proraso shaving cream off eBay and the tube looks like someone squeezed it... Some 25% of cream is missing. The box nevertheless was not deformed. Do these creams come in sealed tubes? I mean a seal you should puncture with something to get the cream out. Very strange.

Even more strange is that the tube was half empty but only 23% of the cream was missing!
I wonder who did that?
But the weight is what it should be. Hmmmm, quite a dilemma.Tongue

7 358
 11-09-2012, 08:44 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
If they filled the tubes completely there could be some trouble with the tubes rupturing at altitude.

127 2,381
 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
The plot thickens.

7 358
 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
A picture of this mysterious tube would help.

173 23,519
 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
(11-09-2012, 08:04 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote:
(11-08-2012, 07:45 PM)HUF Wrote: Half empty Proraso cream tube?

Even more strange is that the tube was half empty but only 23% of the cream was missing!
I wonder who did that?
But the weight is what it should be. Hmmmm, quite a dilemma.Tongue
Angry

(11-09-2012, 11:27 AM)Johnny Wrote: A picture of this mysterious tube would help.
Unfortunately, I did not take a picture because wanted to try it right away. Nevertheless, I have flattened the end of the tube after I used a bit (almond size) of the cream, and the flat part is 1.000" long.

(11-09-2012, 08:44 AM)blzrfn Wrote: If they filled the tubes completely there could be some trouble with the tubes rupturing at altitude.
Not true, sir. How many ruptured tooth paste tubes have you seen? Biggrin

1 90
 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
I think you missed the most important thing: how was the shave?
I think Proraso is one of the best-value creams available. Its scent is classic without being offensive, its lather is thick, creamy and slick, it is stable and very economical.
I just finished a tube and working my way through a tube of Omega. As soon as Omega is finished I will get another Proraso out.
Tell us how was your shave.

7 358
 11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
(11-09-2012, 05:32 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: I think you missed the most important thing: how was the shave?
I think Proraso is one of the best-value creams available. Its scent is classic without being offensive, its lather is thick, creamy and slick, it is stable and very economical.
I just finished a tube and working my way through a tube of Omega. As soon as Omega is finished I will get another Proraso out.
Tell us how was your shave.
Well, I am 53 and never used electric shaver. Started shaving when I was 16 with DE razors. Never used bowl, only face lathering and shave creams. The brand names will not say much. There were mostly East German (Florena), occasionally Bulgarian (Alen Mak) and Russian brands (Svoboda). I never shaved everyday. Usually once every three-four days. Did learn that different DED razors had very different aggressiveness. Just like most of us, switched to single blade disposables when they became common. Orange single-blade BICs are my favorites. Nvere really cared of muliblade or cartridge razors. A little Muhle boar brush served well for 21 years! When foams became more available than good creams, switched to foams but still applied them with a brush. Hate to make messes with hands!

Back to your question. Just recently acquired Edwin Jagger 89, a Feather Popular and a huge Omega 49 brush paired with cute Semogue 1438. Tried Jagger with foam. Was not really impressed, but will have a conclusive opinion after at least two months of shaves. I am a perfectionist, so... can see some flows in those highly praised razors right away but again, give me more time for a conclusive and educated review.

Semogue's handle is too short and slippery. I had a much better grip on my old Muhle brush.

As for Proraso cream. Hate to say that, but i did not really like it...pretty much every aspect of it, but again, probably need more time to appreciate! Proraso killed completely a slight unpleasant smell of new Semogue brush.

Hopefully, my honest opinion has not hurt someones feelings! Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

1 90
 11-09-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
Brilliant picture and well written review of your first shave with Proraso. I would also expect to find imperfections of new tools after so many years of using same old ones. Most on this board share the same affection for Semogue brushes and 1438 is one fine brush. Yours looks not broken in so, as you said, give it two, three weeks before final decision.
Just curious what did you find wrong with Proraso? Could you blame the new brush for that?

Do you use soaps at all? Great time to get some DR Harris since The English Shaving Company has free worldwide shipping right now.

Oh, forgot to ask, which Proraso did you use?

7 358
 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
(11-09-2012, 06:27 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Brilliant picture and well written review of your first shave with Proraso. I would also expect to find imperfections of new tools after so many years of using same old ones. Most on this board share the same affection for Semogue brushes and 1438 is one fine brush. Yours looks not broken in so, as you said, give it two, three weeks before final decision.
Just curious what did you find wrong with Proraso? Could you blame the new brush for that?
Well, let me first tell you that I do believe that razors, blades, brushes, creams and soaps are important, but the condition of your skin is the most important condition of a pleasant shave. I can tell you right away whether I will have a nice shave when I rub my face with hand. There must be no unpleasant sensation whatsoever. Even more - the rubbing must be pleasant by itself.

As fro Proraso, I expected a thicker lather and more of it out of almond size cream. Probably mu leathering techniques need improvement though. As I said, I never used a bowl before. Found lathring in a bowl more messy! Dodgy Lather is everywhere...on my brush handle, my fingers, etc. Besides, I had to loosen up my Jagger a few times to remove cream stuck to the blade. Could be razor problem , but something tells me it is a Proraso thing! Biggrin

Again, too soon to call. My opinion may change dramatically in a month or so. Let's see! I really like fine things and one can find some really fine shaving stuff!

1 90
 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
I also use a DE89 and Proraso and never experienced your problems. I agree with you that the condition of your skin is paramount for a great shave and probably have the same habit as you, slightly rubbing your face just seconds before shaving, looking in the mirror.

I am not experienced enough to give advice but can share with you my experience. When I try a new cream or soap I do a test lather in palm and that helps a lot to evaluate its performance. It also helps me to get that perfect lather, creamy with a shine.
I also lather with a new brush for several days before use it for shaving. While I do not use a 1438, I have and use 1305, 620, 830 and SOC. The first three brushes took less than ten days to break in. I use a puck of Williams and make one or two lathers in palm. Then I shake and wipe the brush and put it aside before shaving.
I am sure you will get better lather from Proraso after a week or so.
I don't know what to say about cream stuck to blade during shave since I do not understand how would that be possible. In any case you shouldn't have to loosen up your razor to clean it in the middle of the shave.
Sometimes when using shaving sticks and a soft brush (830 comes to mind) I might have soap that was not worked into lather that ends up underneath the bottom plate. My favourite brush for shaving sticks is 620.

Well, it seems you have the right tools so give it more time.

7 358
 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be exploring wetshaving anew and will report the progress!

1 90