11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
User Info
Just some unboxing pics of the new Wet Shaving Products (WSP) Monarch Super Badger 2-band brush that I received today. Dimensions according to WSP are 23/53.

Great looking box, I love the simple elegance.
[Image: null-33.jpg]

Very well protected.
[Image: null-34.jpg]

[Image: null-35.jpg]

All of the contents.
[Image: null-36.jpg]

The main act.
[Image: null-37.jpg]

[Image: null-38.jpg]

Nice density.
[Image: null-39.jpg]

From the moment I pulled the brush out it simply screams quality. The handle is simply beautiful to behold. I've always been a fan of the Kent style, but their knots have never really appealed to me. Now I can have the best of both. Nice heft and a gorgeous grain to the handle.

The knot has a very thick dark band which is expected with a "2-band" brush from the Manchurian badger. Some lighter coloring is noticed as the shafts exit the handle. Even dry the tips feel amazingly soft. Upon initial inspection these tips (creamier portion above the dark band) appear to be longer than my other 2-band brushes but I'll have to compare them side by side to really know.

Now that I have this brush in hand I highly doubt that I'll be able to avoid picking up the Super Silvertip 3-band version which Teiste recently reviewed.

Very soon I will be using this brush for the first time. After a few uses I'll will post my attempt at a review as long as you promise not to hold me to Teiste standards! Winky

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 09:33 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: The knot has a very thick dark band which is expected with a "2-band" brush from the Manchurian badger.

Very soon I will be using this brush for the first time. After a few uses I'll will post my attempt at a review as long as you promise not to hold me to Teiste standards! Winky[/align]

Are these Manchurian badger?

I can't wait to see a review on this brush.

129 6,685
 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 09:42 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 09:33 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: The knot has a very thick dark band which is expected with a "2-band" brush from the Manchurian badger.

Very soon I will be using this brush for the first time. After a few uses I'll will post my attempt at a review as long as you promise not to hold me to Teiste standards! Winky

No, they are not what Simpson calls "Manchurian" badger. They are, however, from the Manchurian badger, aka the hog badger.

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
My Monarch Silvertip is coming, now I want this one too! Crap! I'll go lock myself in the basement, can't read any of the reviews. But call me if you hate it Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 09:42 AM)wingdo Wrote:

Very soon I will be using this brush for the first time. After a few uses I'll will post my attempt at a review as long as you promise not to hold me to Teiste standards! Winky[/align]

Not Manchurian grade as in Simpsons. Arctonyx collaris is the scientific name. Hog/Pig badger is the common name. Manchurian badger is the name I prefer. Cool

9 2,988
 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Brian please let us know how it lathers (especially in comparison to Semogue 2 Band hair which is my utmost favorite).

116 3,804
 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
Dave, since you requested...

Nice creamy UltraLather from TABAC.
[Image: null-40.jpg]

[Image: null-41.jpg]

Very dense.
[Image: null-42.jpg]

Bloom!
[Image: null-44.jpg]

[Image: null-46.jpg]

This was just a palm lather so I can't comment on face-feel yet. However, I can say with confidence that the tips are softer than the SOC 2-band & also whiter.
(Note: light source is to the left so SOC tips appear lighter than they would otherwise)
[Image: null-47.jpg]

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
This brush looks so tempting, please share your thoughts post shave.

63 2,128
 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Brian , excellent pics , my friend.This is the one I will be using tomorrow.

86 7,123
 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
Nicely done, Brian. Looking forward to keeping up with your thread. Appreciate the comparison with the SOC.

47 1,270
 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM
User Info
Thanks gents for the kind words.

Teiste I am curious how our thoughts compare/contrast on this one. I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be long before I can also compare to the Monarch 3-band. Blush

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
Great job, Brian! Boy, it sure looks amazing!

75 20,883
 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM
User Info
Quick first impressions gents as my Krampert's Finest is still soaking in.

The 2-band Monarch is sublime. Scritchless tips (absolutely zero prickliness) and extremely soft while the hair shafts are resilient enough to still offer great backbone. I tried both circular & back-and-forth motions. The brush splays just enough without opening up the breach which can cause water to drain out too quickly. Speaking of water, it can hold volumes! With a 30s load on Cella I had enough lather for my 3-pass shave plus plenty for another 3 passes. There was a good bit of water still in the brush as I squeezed out the excess. I will definitely need to shake off more next time.

Since some have asked for a SOC comparison. While early, it's still clear that the tips are a good deal softer on the Monarch. The SOC has a comfortable lead in the backbone category as more pressure is needed to cause splaying, yet the Monarch still has a padded wall of badger feel to it in use.

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 11:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-09-2012, 10:41 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Quick first impressions gents as my Krampert's Finest is still soaking in.

The 2-band Monarch is sublime. Scritchless tips (absolutely zero prickliness) and extremely soft while the hair shafts are resilient enough to still offer great backbone. I tried both circular & back-and-forth motions. The brush splays just enough without opening up the breach which can cause water to drain out too quickly. Speaking of water, it can hold volumes! With a 30s load on Cella I had enough lather for my 3-pass shave plus plenty for another 3 passes. There was a good bit of water still in the brush as I squeezed out the excess. I will definitely need to shake off more next time.

Since some have asked for a SOC comparison. While early, it's still clear that the tips are a good deal softer on the Monarch. The SOC has a comfortable lead in the backbone category as more pressure is needed to cause splaying, yet the Monarch still has a padded wall of badger feel to it in use.

Thanks for your inputs , Brian!As you know , I tried this brush protoype and I do have the same impressions that you do.Also , this kind of hair , reminds me of Vie Long 2 band hair , but with even softer tips.I think I have said enough.

86 7,123
 11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
User Info
Teiste, your comments are greatly appreciated! After you use the 2-band Monarch I'd love to hear which Monarch you think has the most backbone. I was a little lost on your 3-band comparison to HMW since I've never experienced it.

31 7,914
 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-09-2012, 11:19 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Teiste, your comments are greatly appreciated! After you use the 2-band Monarch I'd love to hear which Monarch you think has the most backbone. I was a little lost on your 3-band comparison to HMW since I've never experienced it.

I can answer that right now : the 2 band , but not by much.Both also have excellent flow.For me , they both have perfect combination of backbone and flow , like the Vie Long 2 band brushes.

86 7,123
 11-10-2012, 06:16 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Great looking lather and brush, very nice.

12 743
 11-10-2012, 07:28 AM
  • jss
User Info
Congratulations and thanks to WSP for bringing these brushes to us....

Julian

0 264
 11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

Some nice photos there, plus good initial review...

The 2-Band hair sounds, looks really! good, and I like the look of the handle material, but unfortunately for me the handle style just isn't my cup of tea (and yes, I don't like the "classic" Kent shaving brush handle style(s)).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 08:56 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Brian

Some nice photos there, plus good initial review...

The 2-Band hair sounds, looks really! good, and I like the look of the handle material, but unfortunately for me the handle style just isn't my cup of tea (and yes, I don't like the "classic" Kent shaving brush handle style(s)).

Take care, Mike

Thank you Mike! It sounds like the Prince 2-band might be a good option for you then if that handle is better for you. I've always loved the aesthetics of the Kent handle, but I was also concerned about its ergonomics. Fortunately for me it is a very comfortable handle to hold. I find that along with its solid heft, that it is also well balanced.

Have a great day & I hope the Vulfix is serving you well!

31 7,914