11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
It seems recently there has been an influx of new brands of safety razors, being introduced. They all seem to be at the under $50 range.Many are being touted to be made with brass like old ones.

At their attractive price point, are they a better choice then the standard i.e. Merkur, Parkers etc.

Would one could conclude that with new brands of razors being introduced,that traditional wet shaving is becoming more popular.

Anyone have any thoughts?

1 3,507
 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
I can only hope! Maybe the vendors can weigh in on business they are seeing.

47 1,270
 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
Brad, it sure makes sense that traditional shaving is on the uptick. Companies can't stay in business w/o customers.

It sure would be nice!

32 6,311
 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Several dutch vendors, along with 'fashion' magazines say that business is booming. So I definately think you have a point. Which is a great thing!

5 447
 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
It seems most of the brands all are coming from the Cadet factory in India. They all appear to be of very good to excellent quality and shave very nicely. Also we have some stainless steel razor makers including ATT(Above The Tie), Tradere, Weber, Feather and iKon. This is fantastic news for us wet shavers who prefer a single blade razor. Not too mention all the straight razor shavers that is on the rise.
Great for us and great for the vendors and artisans. Let me not forget the single edge razor Classic Cobra which is part of the mix.

100 12,450
 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
All of us who enjoy wet shaving know that it has many positives and not a few simple pleasures. I think a growing number of people realize that doing everything fast is not necessarily doing it well. Wet shaving will grow because of this and I think the world will be a bit better for it. As a result of my enjoyment of wet shaving, I put away an electric coffee grinder and now hand grind my morning coffee just for the joy of doing the work myself.

16 545
 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
It would be good news to have a few more razors to choose from. After I get settled in I wanta take a look at some more but, if IKon is going to come out with a Slant then, I will have to wait a while longer before I can see what else is out there.

1 819
 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-09-2012, 01:03 PM)Howler Wrote: It seems recently there has been an influx of new brands of safety razors, being introduced. They all seem to be at the under $50 range.Many are being touted to be made with brass like old ones.

At their attractive price point, are they a better choice then the standard i.e. Merkur, Parkers etc.

Would one could conclude that with new brands of razors being introduced,that traditional wet shaving is becoming more popular.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Perhaps but I think many of the new "brands" are made by the same factory. Still though...that indicates a demand. Cool

45 16,361
 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
We wet shavers are a big enough "niche" that Proctor & Gamble purchased The Art of Shaving. New razors, as Brad has pointed out, seem to be proliferating but in various price ranges. All of this is to the good, in my opinion.

2 11,211
 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
User Info
I'd be interesting to know how many purchasers are new to wet shaving (these razors are attractively priced and have good reviews) or just us collectors Tongue

12 1,243
 11-10-2012, 04:15 AM
User Info
It does seem that the new private label razors are all Deepak (ie Parker razors). They seem to be getting good reviews though and the prices are great. All the stainless razors are nice but until someone gets realistic with the prices, they will just be a niche item.

2 697
 11-10-2012, 08:34 AM
  • CB1
User Info
It's nice to see the new stuff coming out but I particularly like some of the new handles I've seen.

0 19
 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
Yes, wetshaving is noticeably on the rise. And the new brands (that are indeed from the same factory) are very good and solid razors with impeccable finish. They can now be had for less than some of the traditional brands.

0 224
 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
It's a great time to get into DE shaving for sure. For under $50, you can get a great entry level razor, brush & soap!

Of course - the whole $50 thing has long since come and gone for me. Angry

29 466