11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
User Info
I got a straight in the mail as part of a loan program from a Asharperrazor. I'm kind of nervous but more excited. I'm waiting a few days to grow some stubble. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2 396
 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
As someone cautiously working my way into straights the two big pieces of advice I can give is to take it very slowly and if something doesn't feel right, STOP, and reevaluate before pressing on. Also, use the slickest soap you have!

35 1,732
 11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Make sure you prep well. A good piece of advice I was given is to go slowly...the first time, just do your cheeks. Gain some confidence and add another section of your face the next time (such as underneath your mouth down to your chin). Then add the moustache area between nose and mouth--but with the grain only. Don't be obsessed with going for too close of a shave; instead, focus on smoothness of technique and not causing damage Smile
Also--very important--make absolutely certain the razor is sharp. Trying to shave with a straight that is dull is a recipe for disaster, and it can sour you on the whole experience.

52 788
 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Congratz! Biggrin
I too have started a few WTG cheek shaves with the straight...
for me, I want to use both hands as much as possible. The learning curve is higher to start with, but I want the reward of being able to be flexible with shaving my whole face.

I prefer wearing my contacts when I use the straight so that I can pay attention to the smallest of details pertaining to razor angle and hair removal.

I keep my DE/SE along for the ride to finish up where I am not comfortable to continue with the straight.

definitely use slick soap/cream.

controlled steady breathing.

...keep clean towels around to help with drying hands.

reapply moisture to the face as needed (water/soap) to keep the razor from grabbing and tugging or skipping

Best to you! Thumbup

9 1,684
 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM
User Info
Good advice, don't put yourself under pressure, leave it till the weekend If possible, It's not a race take as much time as you like, good prep get those whiskers soft plenty of hot water good lather, hands really dry, smooth small strokes to begin with, don't try and complete a full shave on your first attempt, straight razor shaving is a long learning process a marathon not the 100 meter sprint.

Jamie

5 1,809
 11-10-2012, 08:15 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-09-2012, 09:03 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: I got a straight in the mail as part of a loan program from a Asharperrazor. I'm kind of nervous but more excited. I'm waiting a few days to grow some stubble. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi

You may wish to read about my recent experience with the "loan straight razor program from asharperrazor" HERE... Thread also contains some helpful, useful information from other gentlemen here on TSN.

I do still need to sit-down and write up my final thoughts on the experience (might try to do that this evening, time permitting).

Good luck, take your time, respect the razor but don't fear it...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
User Info
I'm starting with a straight as well. Having this week off should help.

0 98
 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
I had my first straight shave tonight. All I did was my cheeks and then cleaned up with a Super Speed. I didn't get any nicks or any irritation, it was pretty amazing. I did get my cheeks smooth and am on my way, but taking baby steps.

2 396
 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
glad to hear it went well!

personally, I've never understood the suggestion to start with a lot of stubble, I find it easier with less...and there are a lot of people who suggest doing the first pass with a razor you're used to, then doing the second pass with the straight while you're learning. Whatever blade you're using, there's no reason that giving it more hair to cut is going to make it work better

10 411
 11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(11-14-2012, 08:59 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: glad to hear it went well!

personally, I've never understood the suggestion to start with a lot of stubble, I find it easier with less...and there are a lot of people who suggest doing the first pass with a razor you're used to, then doing the second pass with the straight while you're learning. Whatever blade you're using, there's no reason that giving it more hair to cut is going to make it work better
wow, I definitely found that out with just a few shaves Blush
It helps me on the lower neck area to have less hair, because I'm still getting my angles down.
I haven't tried the under-jaw-line yet.
less hair definitely helping me learn less pressure!
... no nicks yet!

9 1,684
 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
All I'm going to do is just do what I can with the straight and then clean up with a DE. I'll build my confidence and try not to hack myself up.

2 396