11-10-2012, 06:23 AM
User Info
Got mine on Thursday. Quick two-day shipping from NYC, and Greg followed up to make sure that it arrived safely. This is the pre-order that was available from the iKon website. It comes with the OSS handle, but I have a spare Bulldog, so I took some pics with that setup as well, since that is how it will be shipping next month. I also took some pictures with my Feather and my OSS, as these are my regular razors. The geometry of the head is definitely different. The OSS and Feather are similar, the SB is more aggressive. The baseplate drops away at more of an angle, and the blade reaches the face very easily. You still need to find the right angle to get the optimal shave, but unlike the Feather, if you miss the "sweet spot," the blade will still be on your face.

Attached Files Image(s)

97 615
 11-10-2012, 06:36 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
Nice view!

12 648
 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
Great post.

I just recently sold my OSS. I loved it but too with a large rotation, shaves were hit and miss.

That head looks great. I think these new batch razors are on the list for me Smile

7 1,179
 11-10-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
There seems to be a big difference in finish from head to handle.

2 97
 11-10-2012, 07:53 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great close-ups Sean. I wonder if the standard head is as aggressive as the Titan H-1. I have neither at this time but just a thought.

100 12,445
 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM
User Info
The head has a matte finish and the handle is polished, just like the OSS. It's a nice combo. The Weber ARC also has this look.

Jerry, I've never tried the Titan, but I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to see close-ups of those heads side-by-side.

97 615
 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The new iKon standard & open comb are all matte finish handle and head.

100 12,445
 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM
User Info
Thanks Sean.

If you find the time and don't mind, would you be so kind and take some close-up (axial) pictures of the loaded head against a lighter (white) background?

Let us know how is shaves!

7 358
 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing the pics Sean Cool

9 1,684
 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
I added a couple of pics of the head against a white background. First one is with the flash, the second without.

As for the shave, I went to work on that after posting earlier. I used Proraso preshave, and MWF this morning. I am a cold water shaver, and I bowl lather. For a blade, I used a Personna Med Prep. I usually shave try to shave early and quickly-so my Feather sees the most use.

I started in the safest area, on my cheeks, and I played around with blade angle for a while. It felt rough, and tugged a bit when I started, but when I moved the head back towards my face, it was like a hot knife through butter. It does require more attention to technique than my Feather, but I got an incredible close shave in only two passes. I got a weeper on my chin, but I can do that with my Feather (yes, it's true), so that doesn't concern me. After shaving, I used Dickinsons Witch Hazel, followed by NB Balm (with witch hazel). I felt no stinging, and my skin has felt amazing for the rest of the day. I usually experience some burn/chafing when learning a new razor, but not here.

Overall, I highly recommend this razor. I switched handles halfway through the shave, and I'll probably stick with the Bulldog. Anyone want to buy an OSS handle? Can't see myself keeping two. Nice job by Greg-this is a winner.

97 615
 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
Very nice indeed. Congratulations Sean !
How about some lateral pictures of the loaded razor (axial of the head)?
I expect a perfect fit for the head and handle. Can you confirm there is no play when screwing the handle?

Very nice indeed. Did you try the AS top plate on the iKon's bottom plate? I understand they are identical but since you have all three of them maybe you already tried.

Thanks again.

7 358
 11-10-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 02:58 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Very nice indeed. Congratulations Sean !
I expect a perfect fit for the head and handle. Can you confirm there is no play when screwing the handle?

Very nice indeed. Did you try the AS top plate on the iKon's bottom plate? I understand they are identical but since you have all three of them maybe you already tried.

Thanks again.

iKon head(s) and Feather head are interchangeable with the baseplates of the different razors. That makes the OSS baseplate a good purchase for anyone with the Feather or SB head. I have a bunch of Frankenrazors at the moment. Thanks for getting me to try this. The handle screws in nicely-just like the Feather. You're going to have to spell out "lateral pictures (axial of head)." I'm just not getting it...

(11-10-2012, 02:58 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Very nice indeed. Congratulations Sean !

Thanks again.

Focus on the head isn't great (hard to photograph a razor when your three year-old wants to grab it...), but I think that the blade gap is clear.

97 615
 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
Sean, thanks for the pictures and the review!

75 20,883
 11-10-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
Thank you Sean!

7 358
 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
I didn't really come to this conclusion until I responded to a PM from Celestino, but I now realize that the baseplate is a bigger factor in aggressiveness than blade gap. The blade gap of my Weber is larger, but the baseplate extends out further on the Weber, making it a milder razor. The extended baseplate limits the range of angles at which the blade will contact the face. That being said, the angle and exposure of the iKon head and baseplate are so tight (and close) that they allow for much much more exposure and much less blade chatter than the Weber. Once you get your angle down, you don't have to worry about drag or skipping because the blade is quite exposed, but it is also securely locked into said angle.

I may not be making sense, but I understand what I'm saying...feel free to ask me to clarify.

97 615
 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
I understand very well what you are saying.
Are you in the mood for more pictures?
Maybe one of the top plate, upside down so we could see the threads and bars.
Maybe one with the light tangential to the radius of the top plate.

Thanks again!

7 358
 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Sean - correct me if I'm wrong...but it sounds like you're saying that the iKon is actually milder than the Weber. Is that correct or?

29 466
 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 05:32 PM)mcgils Wrote: I didn't really come to this conclusion until I responded to a PM from Celestino, but I now realize that the baseplate is a bigger factor in aggressiveness than blade gap...

See ATT line, with H1, R1 and M1 sharing same top plate but with different baseplate.

7 358
 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
(11-10-2012, 07:17 PM)Samjax Wrote: Sean - correct me if I'm wrong...but it sounds like you're saying that the iKon is actually milder than the Weber. Is that correct or?

Not at all-much more aggressive than a Weber. The blade is significantly more exposed to the face (at all angles), but it's more solidly locked in place by the head/baseplate combination. As a result it doesn't drag/skip the way a Weber does due to blade "chatter."

I guess this gets to the crux of the aggressive vs efficient discussion. The Weber may appear to be more "aggressive" due to blade gap, but I believe that the iKon is significantly more "aggressive" and "efficient" since it offers not just more blade exposure, but more efficient blade exposure.

(11-10-2012, 07:17 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: I understand very well what you are saying.
Are you in the mood for more pictures?
Maybe one of the top plate, upside down so we could see the threads and bars.
Maybe one with the light tangential to the radius of the top plate.

Thanks again!

I will take the pictures of the top plate, upside down tomorrow, but you will have to clarify what you mean by

"one with the light tangential to the radius of the top plate."

(11-10-2012, 07:18 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 05:32 PM)mcgils Wrote: I didn't really come to this conclusion until I responded to a PM from Celestino, but I now realize that the baseplate is a bigger factor in aggressiveness than blade gap...

See ATT line, with H1, R1 and M1 sharing same top plate but with different baseplate.

I am definitely interested to see what the R1 and M1 baseplates look like.

97 615
 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Cool review. As an aside, my OSS handle is matte finish just like the head, and it looks like the new bulldog handles match the new heads.

135 1,947