03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
I will admit my RAD has been triggered by spring fever or the extremely warm temperatures or maybe it's all the great razors out their that I just could not help myself anymore. I ordered a Weber three-piece, all Stainless Steel razor this weekend and it arrived at my home in north Georgia on Monday. The cost of this all stainless steel razor with shipping was less than $70. The brush was securely packaged.

I chose the Weber with the Advanced Razor Coating (ARC) on the head and the handle of razor. The finish on this razor is similar to the brushed stainless appearance that you see on the Feather SS razor. The Classic Handle on the Weber is 3 7/8 inches (3 7/8 = 3.875" = 98.4mm) and weighs in at 3.2oz or almost 90.7g. The razor has a good balance and the length of the handle is generous. The knurling on the handle provides for a good grip and is certainly sufficient to provide secure handling when wet. The razor shipped with a 5 pack of Astra Superior Platinum blades (one of my top 3 preferred DE blades).

For my first shave with the Weber, I loaded one of the Astra Superior Platinum blades into the three-piece razor. The fit of the blade in the head of the razor was a good snug fit with even alignment. I whipped up some Gillette Menthol Cream and began the morning's shave.

The first impression is that the Weber is slightly more aggressive than some of the razors I have owned and used. IMHO the Weber is more aggressive than the EJ DE 89, iKon Modern and iKon OSS. The aggressiveness of the razor reminded me of my Gillette Red Tip with a slight edge of aggression going to the Red Tip. The three pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) was smooth with no nicks or weepers and was near BBS. I rated the shave as a DFS on the SOTD post for yesterday. The with the set-up for today. I like the brushed SS look of the Weber and the longer length of the handle makes for a very comfortable grip with my large hands. I truly enjoyed the first shave experience with this razor.

The second shave with the Weber ARC was a true BBS. A slight improvement over yesterday's great shave. Was the improvement in the second shave due to the protective/moisturizing quality of the MdC soap or was it because this was the second time I had used the Weber and the Astra? I tend to favor the second shave on a razor blade compared to the first. I can't point to one single item but I tend to think that it was a combination of the factors in today's set-up.

Again, I must emphasize how much I like the feel of the Weber.Biggrin A comfortable grip with the knurling and length of the handle.

More to come about the Weber ARC in the days ahead.

Weber is on the left and Feather SS on right.

[Image: IMG_0182.jpg]
image hosting jpeg

[Image: IMG_0177.jpg]
image host

[Image: IMG_0179.jpg]
image hosting gif

[Image: IMG_0184.jpg]
image hosting

[Image: IMG_0181.jpg]
image host

29 1,731
 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
Great review! I was wondering how the ARC coating was going to work. Thanks

2 805
 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Pictures?

1 265
 03-22-2012, 03:37 AM
User Info
I will post some pictures of the razor this evening.

29 1,731
 03-22-2012, 05:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Anyone know if Weber are planning to release an OC model?

91 17,854
 03-22-2012, 07:01 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(03-22-2012, 05:15 AM)ben74 Wrote: Anyone know if Weber are planning to release an OC model?

Weber actually had an OC model in 2009 or 2010. I never got a chance to try once, so I couldn't say if it was any good. I recall complaints about it being too mild. But then again, some people complain about a lot of razors being too mild. Maybe with the success of the closed comb models they will bring an OC back.

0 253
 03-22-2012, 10:54 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info

Thank you for the review!
My ARC is being delivered today. It's interesting that you mention more aggressive than the DE89 and the Ikon's. I have the DLC version as well as the Ikon SK9 and the DLC Weber is medium aggressive, less so than the SK9 and sort of on par with the DE89 to me.
I wonder and sort of hope that the ARC is a tad more aggressive as you mention than the Weber DLC version. Don't take that the wrong way please; the DLC version is a stellar razor and amazing for the $$$. A standard go to for a comfortable shave every time for me.

6 905
 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review. I wonder if the coating is similar to the iKon OSS & Feather AS. The coatings on those razors makes the stainless steel more durable.
I have the Weber Bulldog DLC and its shave very close and irritation free.
Weber makes wonderful razors at great prices.

100 12,445
 03-23-2012, 01:24 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have the Feather and just got the ARC and they look very similar but I feel that they are somehow different.

I base my assumption on collecting mechanical watches, mainly dive watches. I love the stainless steel versions and some are polished, some brushed and some are bead blasted.
The bead blasting can be quite different from one watch to the next based on the media used, if the watch was polished first,coated with something first, etc. and the Feather looks to me more like finely bead blasted, non-coated stainless steel which can yield a more durable surface as well as enhance appearance.

The Weber looks like a coating of some sort of which bead blasting is not. Weber even claims that it's a coating and I'd bet it's a coating that is similar to their DLC, (diamond like carbon) that enhances the durability of the surface, adds glide to the surface and can make it look nicer.
When I received the Weber, I tried both the DLC version and the ARC version on my face without a blade loaded, (just like ridgerunner mentioned in his review!) and they both felt the same to me. I tried a few of my other razors including the Feather and they ALL had more "drag" on my skin, (again, without a blade loaded) than either of the Weber razors.

Sooo......while certainly not scientific, I base my assumption that the coating on the Weber ARC is different than the process done to the Feather on the above.
I am certainly open to further interpretation though!

(03-22-2012, 01:11 PM)slantman Wrote: Great review. I wonder if the coating is similar to the iKon OSS & Feather AS. The coatings on those razors makes the stainless steel more durable.
I have the Weber Bulldog DLC and its shave very close and irritation free.
Weber makes wonderful razors at great prices.

6 905
 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
My shave this morning was with the Weber, day 4, and I loaded a new Super Iridium in the razor. I chose to use the same shave cream as yesterday trying not wanting to change that variable. The shave was superb. As the morning progressed and sometimes really thinking about it, I found myself continuing to move my hand across my face to feel the closeness of the shave. The Iridium may be the match with this razor for me. Generally speaking, I have found that with some razors I tend to prefer a particular blade. The pairing of the razor and the blade can produce a very different shaving experience - IMHO.

29 1,731
 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If anyone else was wondering about a Weber OC, I contacted Ed at Weber Razors and he explained that there are "no plans for an OC. We have moved onto the CC and will probably not go back."

Oh well, I just have to reacquaint myself with CC then!!!

91 17,854
 03-24-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
I've got a Weber DLC on my wish list and now am wondering if the ARC may be a better choice. I e-mailed Ed and he suggested that they thought the ARC coating was a bit "slicker" feeling than the DLC. I love the look of the DLC, but now I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the ARC.

129 6,685