02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1160409.jpg]

Today,I have received,after a long wait,the new Semogue SOC in finest badger.As I have mentioned before,I had the chance to try one of the protos of this shaving brush,so I knew what to expect from this brush.

[Image: P1160410.jpg]

This brush just uses the new finest badger hair that Semogue is gonna use in this brush and in another line.The hair comes from China and its from ¨meles meles¨ badger.This hair its not relate to the one use by Chinese companies like LiJun & 1980:this one use by Semogue its much softer in the tips and have a really firm backbone.Also doesn't needs a break in process,like the Vie Long 16726 ( a superb brush,by the way).The tips are soft like the New Forest 2201 (talking about superb brushes...)but with a stronger backbone.

[Image: P1160411.jpg]

The wood use to make the handle is cherry once again (like in the boar brush 2009 limited edition).This type of wood its quiet heavy and has a really nice and elegant pattern. Also has a natural shining which its enhanced with the new type of varnish use by the artisan wood maker. This handle its a little bit heavier and thicker than the ones use in the 1305/1800/1250 models.Its also really ergonomic.

[Image: P1160412.jpg]

This brush is not super dense to avoid it to became in a lather hog.Its quiet dense and makes lather on a bit,really easy and with no problems.This is a pic with the lather I made with a hand soap (ivory soap):

[Image: P1160413.jpg]

Just imagine how much lather could it make from soaps like Mitchell's Wool Fat/Kent (actually I have a video using the proto of this brush and that soap and you can see how much lather I can make)

[Image: P1160414.jpg]

This brush doesn't have a huge blooming either, which it makes it perfect for face lathering,but also performs really well with bowl lathering too.Works brilliant with hard soaps and creams equally.

[Image: P1160416.jpg]

The Limited Edition 2010 in selected silvertip and this new SOC in finest badger hair opens a new era in Semogue offering a new quality line of shaving brushes with badger hair.I can only say,once again:

OBRIGADO Sr. Gomes!!!!

86 7,123
 02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
How does this new hair grade compare to the old SOC badger hair?

I have two of those brushes. They're excellent brushes, but have a bit too much scrtich for my taste. Other properties (lathering capability, flow-through, etc.) are all really good on the old ones (last year's model).

Mine overlap too much with other brushes I have, so I'm getting rid of them, but they're really good value for money.

37 1,731
 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
beautiful brush? so you said it was a New brush.

is this a new 2012 offering, or a NOS item you managed to track down?

8 2,718
 02-27-2012, 02:01 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, this IS the SOC badger - nothing more, nothing less.
But Teiste written this review some time ago, back when these brushes were launched.

For sure, an outstanding brush - I surely love mine. bn

2 5,527
 02-27-2012, 03:41 AM
User Info
Aha! That explains it. Yep, these are good brushes.

Thought I'd missed out on a new version of this brush. Smile

37 1,731
 02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Here's mine (it's seen a bit of use since this picture was taken):
[attachment=0]

91 17,790