11-11-2012, 02:50 PM
User Info
I went around a sharp corner in my 1953 Dodge pickup truck being tailed by some guys in a 1973 Pontiac. I was up on two wheels going around the corner - they saw daylight under the tires. Fortunately my buddy was riding passenger on the "up hill" side and he was... shall we say stocky and heavy enough to halt the tipping. Think hiking out on a sailboat. The only way he stayed in his spot on the bench seat was to hang on to the door handle. Meanwhile I was pressed like a slapped mosquito against my driver door and it was all I could do to keep my right hand on the steering wheel. All the while my driver's side tires were just six inches off the curb all the way around the tight corner. Oh, and nobody was coming the other way around the blind corner - whew!A47

6 323
 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I was a kid was racing downhill on our bicycles and my coaster brakes got hot and would not stop the bike. Ran through the front door of a small convenience store and stopped when I hit the back wall loaded with chips and cup cakes. Cost my Dad a little over $200 and cost me a butt whipping and being grounded for a week.

173 23,547
 11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
Let's see...When I was about 12 or 13 I was riding my cousin's snowmobile on my grandparents farm and ran right into a barbed wire fence. I knew it was there but was going too fast and couldn't turn sharp enough. The bottom two strands went below the nose of the sled and the top strand was stretched out as it rode up the windshield. When I finally stopped, the top strand was at neck level and the posts on either side were just past where my head was. After I walked back to the house and got my uncle and Dad to help pull the sled out, as soon as we touched the sled, the top strand let loose over the top of the windshield and snapped back. Had I been sitting on it, I would have been nearly decapitated.

Another time, when I was in high school, my buddies and I were camping on an island on the Mississippi River near Pepin, WI. After setting up camp, three of us decided to walk to town to get some beer. It was a 3 mile walk and we didn't realize were were on an island. Thankfully, the river was shallow where we had to walk from the island to the mainland. It only got up to our chests. We get to to the mainland and start walking the tracks into town. Most of the time we're watching the ground as we walk so we don't trip over the railroad ties. As we get to the outskirts of town I notice that there's a low rumble that growing and I look up to see a freight train bearing down on us, full speed. I froze for a second, yelled "Train!", pushed my two friends off the track on their side, then dive off the track on my side. It probably wasn't as close as it seemed, but it sure felt like we missed being hit by just a few seconds. We bought out beer then sat down and drank a few until we got rid of the shakes, before continuing back to camp.

0 836
 11-11-2012, 03:47 PM
User Info
Barbed wire fences and snowmobiles are a deadly combination. You're a lucky guy.

129 6,685
 11-11-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
(11-11-2012, 03:05 PM)Johnny Wrote: When I was a kid was racing downhill on our bicycles and my coaster brakes got hot and would not stop the bike. Ran through the front door of a small convenience store and stopped when I hit the back wall loaded with chips and cup cakes. Cost my Dad a little over $200 and cost me a butt whipping and being grounded for a week.

Johnny ... adjusted for inflation oer such a loooong period of time, that's got to be several million dollars at today's value. 242424

129 6,685
 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
When I was about 10-11 years old (not that long ago really, around 1985) my friends and I went through a phase where we took old roller skates and sat reverse on them so our butts were on the "foot" part with the ankle/leg part between our legs to hold onto while we leaned to steer. Anyway we had this HUGE hill and it ended in a sharp curve that you either went around or you went straight off into a neighbors 2nd drive way that was rough non-smoothed concrete with large rock chunks in it on a 90 degree slope that ended at a flower bed with rose bushes and a 15-20 foot drop to his backyard. Long story short I was going so fast I missed the curve, went into his drive way and hit the rough rocky concrete and got thrown off the skate and finished the last 10-15 feet sliding on my left leg/thigh (in shorts) and plowed into the rose bushes with my face hanging over the 15-20 foot drop.

There was a blood trail smeared down the last half of his drive way and I demolished 2 large rose bushes..it was the worst road rash of my life..my leg was 50% raw meat and the roses tore chunks out of my arms and left a 4" gash down one cheek. If I had gone off the edge, he had a pile of large river rocks at the bottom for landscaping and I would of landed in those.

31 1,510
 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM
User Info
Bryon, great story, man! Oh, boy, that must have hurt!

75 20,883
 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM
User Info
Wasn't that long ago, okay maybe it was, but I don't want to admit it.

I was driving very fast in the rain. Lost control of the vehicle and somehow managed to stay in my lane (or at least 1.5 lanes), not hit anything, and spun 180*. No more fast driving for me.

9 2,988
 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-11-2012, 09:46 PM)celestino Wrote: Bryon, great story, man! Oh, boy, that must have hurt!

Yeah..it hurt like hell. My mom had to keep some nasty foul smelling thick yellowish-green snot like stuff smeared on my leg and change bandages twice a day for a couple of weeks. The fun part is when it healed enough to scab over and then the itching started. Luckily I have very few scars from that..my leg has a speckled look and those speckled spots never tan but that's about it..the gash on my cheek healed up scar free, which is pretty amazing considering how bad it was.

31 1,510
 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
User Info
I was about 8 years old, I was "helping" my Dad and two older neighborhood boys tear down a section of our backyard garage. It was early summer and a light rain had just passed through. One of the older boys was using a hatchet to break apart some wood and I guess the handle was still wet from the passing shower - it slipped out of his hand and hit me in the head (think tomahawk). Dad rushed me to the E.R. where I got 4 staples in my head. Luckily I was hit with the dull side and the hatchet just missed cracking my skull.

1 94
 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
I was about 14 years old out target shooting with my dad's bolt action .30-06 rifle.
I saw this large old tractor tire lying on the ground and I stupidly decided to shoot it to see what kind of a hole the bullet would put in that big old tire.
I stood about 15-20 feet away from the tire, took a steady aim and then fired.
!!POW/SMACK!!
WTF? Huh
I was instantly greeted with a very hard smack to the right side of my forehead that literally knocked my head backwards. My ears were ringing loudly and I definately saw stars.
When I was finally able to come back to my senses I checked myself for injuries....
Thank God I found no blood or open wounds of any kind but I did have a goose egg sized lump on my forehead...
Ouch!!
I then checked that big old tractor tire and there was no hole whatsoever in it, just some slight discoloration of the black rubber where the bullet hit. Confused

0 17
 11-22-2012, 04:45 AM
User Info
When I was about 7 years old I was over the neighbor's house. They had three boys who shared 1 room. In the room was a set of bunk beds across from a twin bed. The natural course of action? Jumping from the bunk beds to the other one. When it was my turn to jump, my foot got caught on the railing. I dangled a few seconds before falling directly on my head. Ended up getting a pretty serious concussion. And my parents didn't really talk to their parents much after that.

Now I don't remember things so good. Confused

10 2,062
 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
I was 10 years old. Riding a bicycle. Screaming down the big hill of the main street. Checked traffic and made a left hand turn onto the street that led to the southern part of town.
Unfortunately I didn't. Check for traffic on that street. There was a car approaching the intersection I just entered. I stomped.on the coaster brake. Like many intersections this one had a lot of gravel in it. When I hit the brakes the bike skidded and laid down.

The approaching car came to a stop and I slid right under it. Back in the 70s cars were a lot bigger ( and I was a lot smaller). I slide between the wheels and stopped when the handlebars snagged the bumper. I was looking up at the oil pan but I was completely unharmed. I pulled my self out. The guy behind the wheel.just looked at me. I told him I was fine. He never spoke nor moved. I pulled my.bike out from under the car. It was fine too! The driver still hadn't budged. I asked him if HE was alright. He never answered so I mounted my.bike and went home. I believe.now he was in shock.
When I got.home I told.my.mother all about it. She nodded her head politely but I know she didn't believe.me.
The next day.she came back from playing bridge with the neighborhood ladies. One of them witnessed me slide under the car. My mom was.hopping mad. I got a whooping. In between spanks I pointed out that I HAD told my mom yesterday and this whooping was unfair. I got a few more swats for being "sassy".

Never did find out if the driver was ok.

7 363
 11-26-2012, 02:49 AM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
When I was eight I was hit by a car while crossing the street on my bicycle. My mom witnessed the accident, nearly gave her a heart attack. Fortunately the left front fender only hit my rear wheel and all I ended up with was bruises and scrapes.

2 126
 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM
User Info
(11-24-2012, 09:41 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: I was 10 years old. Riding a bicycle. Screaming down the big hill of the main street. Checked traffic and made a left hand turn onto the street that led to the southern part of town.
Unfortunately I didn't. Check for traffic on that street. There was a car approaching the intersection I just entered. I stomped.on the coaster brake. Like many intersections this one had a lot of gravel in it. When I hit the brakes the bike skidded and laid down.

The approaching car came to a stop and I slid right under it. Back in the 70s cars were a lot bigger ( and I was a lot smaller). I slide between the wheels and stopped when the handlebars snagged the bumper. I was looking up at the oil pan but I was completely unharmed. I pulled my self out. The guy behind the wheel.just looked at me. I told him I was fine. He never spoke nor moved. I pulled my.bike out from under the car. It was fine too! The driver still hadn't budged. I asked him if HE was alright. He never answered so I mounted my.bike and went home. I believe.now he was in shock.
When I got.home I told.my.mother all about it. She nodded her head politely but I know she didn't believe.me.
The next day.she came back from playing bridge with the neighborhood ladies. One of them witnessed me slide under the car. My mom was.hopping mad. I got a whooping. In between spanks I pointed out that I HAD told my mom yesterday and this whooping was unfair. I got a few more swats for being "sassy".

Never did find out if the driver was ok.

Wow! If I was the driver of the car I probably would have had a heart attack right then and there.
Eeeeek

0 17
 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
When I was 6 we used to roam all around the neighborhood, and especially found plenty of things to occupy us in vacant lots. There was a little dugout in one, where some of the older kids played like it was a hideout. I and another guy were sitting in the little hole in the ground when he bent down and showed me a toy or some other object on the ground, when an arrow, yes one with a point, which had been shot in the general direction by another kid, came in and lodged the point in a piece of plywood just at the same moment I bent over to look at the toy. If I hadn't been leaning over a few inches, I'd have taken one through the neck or the temple! I've never forgotten that miracle!

24 1,151