11-11-2012, 10:52 PM
User Info
how's it work out? which glycerin do you use? I have some store brand glycerin - I think - left over from some liquid hand soap my lady made a while back. I was thinking of adding a small amount into my lather when I shave again to see how it does for me.

40 5,830
 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
When I use my kiss my face cream, I add a small squirt to that and it definitely produces a richer lather, i'm still in two minds whether it's actually better though, lol. The glycerine is just some unbranded one from the chemist, I don't have the bottle anymore I'm afraid (I transferred it into a pump dispenser). I don't add any to my tub of proraso though, although would probably give it a go if it were a tube instead, ie where it's lathered up in a bowl, rather than mixing in with the rest of the soap/cream.
Enjoy experimenting!

0 26
 11-11-2012, 11:23 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I used to do it every lather, not anymore. I used regular pharmacy brand stuff, it was like $3 a bottle, worked good. I can achieve good lather now without it, if I want slicker for some reason, I might add a pump of KMF.

88 4,233
 11-11-2012, 11:25 PM
User Info
(11-11-2012, 11:19 PM)Mr Happy Wrote: When I use my kiss my face cream, I add a small squirt to that and it definitely produces a richer lather, i'm still in two minds whether it's actually better though, lol. The glycerine is just some unbranded one from the chemist, I don't have the bottle anymore I'm afraid (I transferred it into a pump dispenser). I don't add any to my tub of proraso though, although would probably give it a go if it were a tube instead, ie where it's lathered up in a bowl, rather than mixing in with the rest of the soap/cream.
Enjoy experimenting!

yeah, I would add a drop or two of glycerin to whatever cream I'm lathering up in a bowl, not directly into the tub the product comes in.

so I guess it's time to experiment. Cool

40 5,830
 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM
User Info
(11-11-2012, 11:23 PM)beartrap Wrote: I used to do it every lather, not anymore. I used regular pharmacy brand stuff, it was like $3 a bottle, worked good. I can achieve good lather now without it, if I want slicker for some reason, I might add a pump of KMF.

Ding, Ding, Ding. +1

9 1,199
 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Andrew

I massage a few drops of NOW Vegetable Glycerine into my beard prior to (face) lathering.

I do so prior to each lathering pass, and regardless of what shaving cream/soap I'm using...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I made some "uberlather" over the weekend and the glycerine seems to make the lather very thick and cushiony. I think it actually got in the way of the slickness that would normally be present (between vintage old spice soap and KMF cream) but it could just be that I needed a bit more water. Regardless, the shave went very well and I nicked myself once on the second pass because I got a little too confident in the protective nature of the lather.

127 2,387
 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-11-2012, 10:52 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: how's it work out? which glycerin do you use? I have some store brand glycerin - I think - left over from some liquid hand soap my lady made a while back. I was thinking of adding a small amount into my lather when I shave again to see how it does for me.

I used to but never make super lather anymore and face lather 99% of the time. I do add about 10-15 drops of glycerine to my beloved cheapo aftershave splashes though, Barbasol Brisk/Pacific Rush, Osage Rub, Vijon Spice, etc. I use a cheap bottle of HUMCO glycerine from Walmart, 6oz bottle for like $4.

31 1,510
 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
User Info
i have never tried it and i don't see that changing as my lather is quite amazing and "uber" as it is depending on how long i want to work it and how much soap i want to use.
Good luck to you lads!

75 20,883
 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM
User Info
I usually keep things simple but have noticed that if I load my brush with clearly natural glycerine soap....face lather a bit then load with some Willams the 2 combine to make an extremely rich smooth protective lather.

No fancy name,container or price,but surprised the heck out of me,really nice.

I'm actually thinking about grinding both soaps up and combining them 50/50 to see how it works out.As inexpensive as they are,it's only going to cost me about $2 to give it a whirl.

7 414
 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
I have used a couple drops of glycerine in Klar Seiffen and DRH with great success. Go for it!

While I am no chemist, it seems to me that glycerine is glycerine -- so I can't imagine that the brand really matters. Does it matter which brand of air you put in your tires? Smile

15 316
 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 01:10 PM)slackskin Wrote: I have used a couple drops of glycerine in Klar Seiffen and DRH with great success. Go for it!

While I am no chemist, it seems to me that glycerine is glycerine -- so I can't imagine that the brand really matters. Does it matter which brand of air you put in your tires? Smile

no, but I wasn't sure if there were different types of formulated glycerine....just like there's different soaps and creams. Tongue

40 5,830
 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
Nah, glycerine is glycerine. Go for price unless you're a vegetarian. Even so, NOW vegetable glycerine is priced very attractively, but it's a huge bottle.

When I was experimenting more heavily with soaps and stuff I would add a few drops, but not so much any more. I did use 50% glycerine in my homemade "M-Bomb" last week or whenever, but frankly if it wasn't there I wouldn't miss it. Pretty much now, unless it's a low quality soap I just leave it be, just make an ultralather, and forget the glycerine.

32 6,309
 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
User Info
A cheap way to do it is to rub some Corn huskers lotion on your face before face lathering. It contains a fair amount of glycerine like Trumpers Skin Food.

2 697
 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I use glycerin to make a gargle when my throat's a little scratchy so I already had some when I started wet shaving. I use a few drops on top of some soaps from time to time. It seems to help make the lather a bit "slicker". It helps with Williams Shave Soap to get the lather to explode a little..(If that's what you call it). I bought the Williams because I've seen it all my life and it's super cheap. Don't use The Williams that often though... I will try it with an aftershave as was suggested here. I've read about glycerin's moisturizing properties so I guess I'm game for a bit of experimentation.

5 1,151
 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I don't add it when making my shaving lather but do add it to my hair tonic.

2 11,211
 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'll use it with a soap I've had issues with in the past but otherwise I don't use glycerin. It's cheap though to buy

116 3,804
 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I started adding it to my lather when I started using straights. I find it helps increase the slickness of the lather IMHO. I add a squirt not a few drops. Biggrin

16 545
 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
I used glycerine and liquid lanolin with soaps/creams that would otherwise dry my skin.
Today I bought a bottle of grape seed oil and will experiment a bit with Palmolive Classic cream. I will also try the avocado oil sometime this winter since it gets really dry here.
I also use NOW Foods products.

7 358
 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I've got a pretty big stockpile of vegetable glycerine that I use in making liquid for my e-ciggarette......I'm going to have to give this a try.
I can think of one soap I have that could use a little boost. I haven't tried it yet because a majority of my soaps already are glycerine based

10 411