11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
User Info
How does one become a tester of products I'm just curious

12 568
 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
User Info
(11-11-2012, 10:54 PM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: How does one become a tester of products I'm just curious

Tester or reviewer? There's a difference. For a tester, I suppose you just apply to their human trials.

For subjective testing, you need to have some sort of credentials. Like a wine taster.

To be a reviewer, there's plenty of good articles on the subject. This one is pretty accurate.

9 2,988
 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM
User Info
TB,

On a forum such as this, just test the product and post your review. If you're full of BS others will know it, if it's of value, same thing.

But it isn't easy at times. Try it and be your worst critic. Put yourself in the readers chair. There are plenty of reviews found here to gauge others against.

Myself, I prefer a "But did you like it !? " sort of review, they're easy. Of course user comments and observations are important. Maybe more than anything else for me. When I review a product I try to let others inside my mind so that they can "feel" the product. It's easy, yet surprisingly difficult at the same time.

Try writing one and then remove yourself and put yourself into the readers perspective as you critique it before posting. Experience helps, but a good head for "feel" also goes far. If you can express what your senses tell you that's probably enough. Try not to be ambiguous. Maybe my past reviews are good enough and maybe not, but I always try to compare this to that so that folks have a way to gauge what I try to express through words.

I admire the folks who can do it repeatedly, especially with products that are as good as they are today. That's why I'm happy to just shave at the moment and am retired from reviews at least for now (burnt out). It's easy to tell good from bad (But did you like it !?) harder to differentiate between products that have slight nuances dividing them.

I hope that helped.

What does it take? A desire to do it and empathy for the reader. Maybe other things, but you'll bring them in a YMMV individual style.

32 6,309
 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM
User Info
I guess what got me to ask this question was the review of asharprazors new brush line. I saw the article about the "monarch" and I was like wow I wanna try to do this to

12 568
 11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 05:18 AM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: I guess what got me to ask this question was the review of asharprazors new brush line. I saw the article about the "monarch" and I was like wow I wanna try to do this to

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want to "beta-test" and "review" products without paying Blush

Most times these type of products are sent to long time members, long time shavers who have experience with many products and now what to compare them against and how to give feedback. Sometimes the products (like razors) are sent to members for testing and then sent back, other times samples are sent (creams, soaps, asb's etc) other times whole products are sent and they are able to keep them.

Like others have said, if you are just looking to review a product, simply purchase it and give a reviews. That's all there is to a review.

8 2,718
 11-12-2012, 05:26 AM
User Info
Are you referring to my posts or Teiste's?

While I can't speak for Teiste (though I'm pretty sure I know the answer for him too) there is nothing involved in writing reviews of a product other than purchasing the product and giving words to your experience so others can have an idea of what they are like.

If instead, you are talking about Teiste using the prototypes well I can't comment on that. I would presume, however, that due to his large experience with many brushes that many people offer to let him use a prototype in return for his thoughts on them. To do things like this then I'd suggest buying a lot of brushes, thoroughly analyzing them, take great pictures of the brushes, and add those pictures to well written reviews of them. As people see you becoming a brush expert then you too may start getting PMs to test prototype brushes.

31 7,914
 11-12-2012, 05:30 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 05:26 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: To do things like this then I'd suggest buying a lot of brushes, thoroughly analyzing them, take great pictures of the brushes, and add those pictures to well written reviews of them. As people see you becoming a brush expert then you too may start getting PMs to test prototype brushes.

Agreed. The couple company test/reviews I have participated in were by invitation, not by asking. Wink

8 2,718
 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM
User Info
So I need to find something and just read everything I can on it and review review review

Guess instead of buying customs I'll start with brand names

12 568
 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 05:18 AM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: I guess what got me to ask this question was the review of asharprazors new brush line. I saw the article about the "monarch" and I was like wow I wanna try to do this to

For prototype testing, manufacturers want someone with credentials and experience. In our world that would be a blogger or serious forum reviewer. Otherwise, we'll just use our friends and family and employees to test prototypes.

The idea at the prototype stage is to hammer out all the kinks before we commit to a full production run. As you can imagine, the more experience someone has, the better able they'll be able to find every little problem. That's where the expert shines.

As for F&F & employees, they're the layperson feedback. We don't want prototypes going out into the public for many many reasons.

Regarding finished products, you buy it and review it like everyone else. Biggrin

If you own a blog/website/tv show/etc with thousands of viewers who are the target market, you will get offers from vendors who want to promote their product. It's a form of advertising to them.

And if you're some professional amazon reviewer, authors will seek you out. You can google that. Some interesting reads.

9 2,988
 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 05:36 AM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: So I need to find something and just read everything I can on it and review review review

i would say NO.

simply buy it, use it and post a review. Sleepy

they can be as simple or in depth as you like.

the more reading and forum talk you look at before giving your honest, gut feeling review, will be influenced (whether you think it will or not), by other peoples opinions.

a fresh review by someone who paid for a product, is the best review there is. I for one would like to see reviews start with "I got this product...." and state "free, donated, for review or purchased" etc, but that doesn't seem to be the case with most reviews.

8 2,718
 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
User Info
Guess Ineed to figure out what brushes guys or news want to know about and I'll write reviews

12 568
 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM
User Info
What Bruce said.

Don't try and hit a certain word count as superfluous words just annoy me and probably other people, but do have an outline of what you want to cover and touch upon each. For example:

Brushes. You want to cover the following:

Softness of tips
Scrubbiness/backbone
Construction/heft/feel
Good for?
Optional: handle ergonomics, knot shape, where it fits, etc.

For a straight razor it would be:
scales
blade/shape/feel
steel/sharpness holding/ease of honing
balance

For soap it would include:
latherability,
slickness
after effects

And many people are also interested in price/performance.

9 2,988
 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
User Info
I ran a blog site for a couple years. Let it go because of time and other life BS. It's one of those things where the amount of work you put in can have a positive level of return. I say can because there are no gaurantees, and many variables involved to making it successful. If you approach it with the idea in your head that, "This will make me money or get me free stuff" you will be sadly disappointed. And your content will reflect your intention which will also have a negative effect.

I'll give you this piece of advice. Do it because you want to, not because you want something from it. Use products you're interested in and be honest. Write good content, meaning good spelling, grammer, vocabulary sentence structure etc. The internet is full of people who think they can write well, but are far from it. If you can't write well, then your words will persuade no one, and you will have no credibility. Practice, practice, and be your own worst critic.

Hopefully that helps you, and best of luck!

4 253
 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I'm a new wet shaver and when I write a review it's usually something I've purchased. I give what I think is what someone like myself would be interested in. I may be new but I can assure you that others want to know our opinions too. I have been corrected when I have made mistakes and have gotten input from the many helpful veterans here @ The Shave Nook... I also have a thing about value. Performance vs. cost type thing as I am a blue collar guy who has a ton of kids still in the house... I'm always looking for the most bang for the buck.

5 1,151
 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
User Info
I agree with you mr joe I'm just going to have to buy and try and write reviews

12 568