11-12-2012, 01:01 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
I recently received this DE Open Comb razor from Dave...

[Image: RZzmh.jpg]

G.I. & Co Made in England DE Razor (before cleaning)

[Image: rT95G.jpg]

[Image: 4LGUv.jpg]

[Image: P4OdW.jpg]

[Image: ApYzC.jpg]

First, I wasn't expecting this razor and to say, I feel very lucky and grateful to have received it, doesn't begin to thank Dave enough for his generosity...

A quick web search turned up the following info from HERE...

Quote:The company name was for George Ibberson and is located in Sheffield England. They were mfg cutlery, knives, razors etc. Now they mfg knives and promo material but no razors. The company was originally est. by Joseph Ibberson a couple of centuries ago. Your razor was made as far as I can tell in the '20s. I have a travel set by G.I.& Co and the razor shaves well

Q. Can anyone shed anymore light on this razor?

Q. What would be the best (and safest) approach to cleaning up this razor I can undertake?

Take care, Mike

Edit: Updated photos.

23 1,872
 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
This is what I do to clean old razors.#1 make sure no blade is in the razor. #2 use an old soft toothbrush with dish soap for first cleaning. # 3 Use MAAS metal polish with a soft cloth and polish to perfection. # 4 Enjoy.Smile

6 1,913
 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I bought it off another forum and it was too darn aggressive for me. You are more than welcome Mike.

116 3,804
 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
Mike, very nice looking razor! Enjoy it and i usually do what Harvey suggests although #1 seems a bit funny. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 11-12-2012, 10:27 PM
User Info
All that Waits has on the company and razor is that it's a copy of the Gillette Brownie.

Is that nickle plate or silver? I can't tell by the pictures.

If it tarnishes use the aluminum foil/electrolyte trick.

A long soak in a hot solution of dish detergent won't hurt it, and a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush also won't hurt it. A tiny bit of toothpaste is quite gentle.

32 6,309
 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
User Info
There were a number of cutlers in Sheffield that made copies of Gillette razors to supplement their income. I have had quite a few in my time, in fact I still have one if anyone is interested. It a Windex a copy of a Gillette Old if you are interested let me know.

3 198
 11-14-2012, 08:45 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-12-2012, 01:06 PM)Harvey Wrote: This is what I do to clean old razors.#1 make sure no blade is in the razor. #2 use an old soft toothbrush with dish soap for first cleaning. # 3 Use MAAS metal polish with a soft cloth and polish to perfection. # 4 Enjoy.Smile

(11-12-2012, 10:27 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: All that Waits has on the company and razor is that it's a copy of the Gillette Brownie.

Is that nickle plate or silver? I can't tell by the pictures.

If it tarnishes use the aluminum foil/electrolyte trick.

A long soak in a hot solution of dish detergent won't hurt it, and a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush also won't hurt it. A tiny bit of toothpaste is quite gentle.

Hi Gents

Thank you for the advice, feedback Smile

Brian, I honestly don't know (but if I had to guess, I would go with nickel). Is there a way for me to tell if its nickle plate or silver?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Here are the results on my initial cleaning effort...

[Image: 1j1Gc.jpg]

G.I. & Co Made in England DE Open Comb Razor (after cleaning)

[Image: uPVRt.jpg]

[Image: lWqle.jpg]

[Image: dw90k.jpg]

[Image: fAVWX.jpg]

(My) Initial cleaning procedure:
  • Soaked in warm water with dishing washing up liquid, then a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush.
  • A gentle scrub with an old toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles.
  • (Bought some) MAAS metal polish, applied with a soft (clean) cloth, then polished with another soft (clean) cloth.
I think I will have another go with the MAAS metal polish sometime in the next few days...

23 1,872
 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Looks much better!! Nice job

116 3,804