11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried these products
http://www.wmneumann.com/collections/gifts-sets

12 568
 11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I saw the web site. I would like to see a few reviews myself...

5 1,151
 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
Me too because it looks like a good product

12 568
 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Wow, I've never tried them but for those prices it outta be out of this world.

31 1,510
 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
(11-12-2012, 01:57 PM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: Has anyone tried these products
http://www.wmneumann.com/collections/gifts-sets

Hi guys....wmneumann (Bill) is one of our new vendors....check out the cool stoneware mugs (shaving/beverage/coffee) while you're there. soap sounds like top shelf ingredients. will be paying Bill a call shortly to try out some soap, bay rum, A/S, and gotta get one o' those gorgeous mugs !

0 1,291
 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM
User Info
I know that Johnny has been using some of their soap now for a brief time. I'm looking forward to hearing more about what he thinks about them. He may have already done a mini-review as I seem to remember a little bit of the scent comments he made. Or I'm just making things up. Hopefully he'll pop in and point us in the right direction.

31 7,914
 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will do a full review when I have time in the appropriate threads, but I can tell you I really like their 1911 line of products, soaps, after shave, and balm.

It has an extremely nice scent.

173 23,553
 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
That's what I was looking at is the 1911 line

12 568
 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I recommend it. My wife even loves the way it smells, and that's saying something. Believe me.Tongue

173 23,553
 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
Well sir have you tried the shaving oil and how about the bay ur or peppermint kind

12 568
 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have not tried the shaving oil as I do not use shaving oils.

Will (the son) sent me some scent samples and I liked them in this order.

Heartwood
1907 Signature
Peppermint
Lime
Bay Rum
Soda

If you use MWF as a soap, the 1911 would be an excellent after shave to compliment the MWF.

I can tell you I will be ordering more.

173 23,553
 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
I need to find a better balm that's for yes and I may have to pull the trigger on it

12 568
 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
User Info
I have the peppermint bath soap and love it. Leaves my skin very soft and not dried out. I'm also using the 1911 aftershave and it's top notch. Will was very kind and sent me some scent samples too.

I'm not a glycerine shave soap fan so I can't comment on that.

9 1,199
 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
Ah, I was wondering about that. Randy, do you know if this is melt & pour like Colonel Conk & TSD? All those soaps were complete duds & overrated for me.

31 7,914
 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
I can't wait to see johnnys review

12 568
 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 08:05 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Ah, I was wondering about that. Randy, do you know if this is melt & pour like Colonel Conk & TSD? All those soaps were complete duds & overrated for me.

Hey, Brian.

Yes, it's a vegie-based glycerine soap. Here's a pic of a puck Tongue

[Image: Shave_Soap_4_oz_Puck_1_1024x1024.jpeg?88]

9 1,199
 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:21 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(11-12-2012, 08:05 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Ah, I was wondering about that. Randy, do you know if this is melt & pour like Colonel Conk & TSD? All those soaps were complete duds & overrated for me.

Hey, Brian.

Yes, it's a vegie-based glycerine soap. Here's a pic of a puck Tongue

[Image: Shave_Soap_4_oz_Puck_1_1024x1024.jpeg?88]

Thanks Randy. Guess I'll pass on this one for now.

31 7,914
 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM
  • WmNeumann
  • Williamsburg, Virginia USA
User Info
[Image: 1-1911_Ingredients-4oz_Soap_1024x1024.jpg?88]

Hello Gents,

Let me chime in here to help you out. Wm. Neumann & Co. Shaving Soap is not like the other brands that you listed, or what is widely known as typical veggie-based glycerin soap. To give you an analogy, it would be like saying that a steak from Peter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn is the same as a steak that I destroy on my BBQ grill, just because they're both beef. Let's take a look at a few different formulas of glycerin soaps so you have an understanding of what one is.

Example-1
Well Known Name Brand Glycerine Soap:
Propylene Glycol (USP Kosher), Pure Refined Glycerin 99.7% (USP Kosher), Myristic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Sorbitol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate 30%, Purified Water, Titanium Dioxide

Example-2
Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Laurate, Glycerin, Triethanolamine.

Example-3
Ingredients: Glycerin, Saponified Coconut, Palm and/or Palm Kernel Oils, Vegetable (Coconut/Corn/Sugar)-derived Surfactants, Humectants, Sodium Citrate, Blend of Fragrance and Essential Oils, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex.

In all three of these examples we see that they are Glycerin based formulas relying on surfactants and not the saponification of fats. Example three confuses the consumer with the added saponified oils, however, glycerin is the first ingredient, and vegetable-based surfactants soon follow.

Now let's take a look at Wm. Neumann & Co. Shaving Soap:

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin**, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Soybean Protein, Wheat Protein, Bentonite Clay, Fragrance (Contains Natural Oils), Camellia sinensis* (Green Tea) Extract, Aphanizomenon flos aquae* (Blue-Green Algae) Extract, Urtica dioica* (Nettle) Extract, Stellaria media* (Chickweed) Extract, Ulmus rubra* (Slippery Elm) Extract, Silybum marianum* (Milk Thistle) Extract, Althaea officinalis* (Marshmallow Root) Extract,
*Organic, ** Kosher

The Coconut, Palm, and Safflower oils are saponified via the Sodium Hydroxide. The process is exactly the same as you would do with a tallow based preparation, except in this case, non-animal oils are used. Twenty percent Vegetable Glycerin is introduced. The Sorbitan Oleate is the emulsifier. Sorbitol is added for its moisturizing properties, and the Soybean and Wheat Proteins are conditioners. We use bentonite clay in our formula for its inherent natural slip properties, however, it's an ingredient that must be in the correct proportion or it's of no value, and can hinder the overall desired effect if not prepared and used correctly. We prepare ours jointly with our Slippery Elm Extract, as it also is utilized for its ability to contribute to a slick surface in the presence of water. I've seen many formulas using way too much clay in an attempt to make a poor soap better; it doesn't work. As a quick lesson, let's think of traditional gunpowder: Traditional Gunpowder contains three ingredients: Sulphur, Charcoal, and Saltpeter. The Sulphur and Charcoal act as fuels, while the Saltpeter works as the oxidizer. If you think that by increasing the Saltpeter you could increase the oxidation, well that's not the case. You'll ruin the mixture, and it won't even ignite. Likewise is the case with bentonite clay in shaving soap. It must be at a precise ratio to be effective, and ours indeed is. Additionally, our soap contains our exclusive blend of soothing herbal extracts: Green Tea Extract, Blue-Green Algae Extract, Nettle Extract, Chickweed Extract, Slippery Elm Extract, Milk Thistle Extract, Marshmallow Root Extract.

So what does this all mean?:

Coconut, Palm, and Safflower Oils--Saponified oils create a creamy, dense, slippery cushion of lather

Oat Straw, Marshmallow Root, and Chickweed--Soothes and calms irritated skin

Kosher Vegetable Glycerin and Sorbitol--Naturally hydrate and soften the skin

Soybean & Wheat Proteins--Natural Conditioners

Slippery Elm Bark and Bentonite Clay--Create a Natural Slip

Green Tea and Blue-Green Algae--Powerful natural antioxidants, encourage the healing process

Nettle, Milk Thistle, and Black Willow Bark--Well known for their healing qualities

Now, all good news comes with a caveat: This soap has been refined where as each ingredient is on a razor's edge (excuse the pun). In other words, when water is introduced, it is absolutely essential that the water:soap ratio (which can vary due to your local water supply) is optimally achieved. Get it right, and you'll be well rewarded with a nice and dense creamy lather.

Hopefully this answers some questions for you.

0 96
 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(11-13-2012, 12:29 AM)WmNeumann Wrote: Now, all good news comes with a caveat: This soap has been refined where as each ingredient is on a razor's edge (excuse the pun). In other words, when water is introduced, it is absolutely essential that the water:soap ratio (which can vary due to your local water supply) is optimally achieved. Get it right, and you'll be well rewarded with a nice and dense creamy lather.

Hopefully this answers some questions for you.

This I can attest to. Took me a few tries, but when I found the correct water/soap ratio I was presented with an extremely good lather and a most pleasant shave. And the hotter the water, the better.

173 23,553
 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM
User Info
I have extremely hot water so I need to get this stuff

12 568