03-22-2012, 03:42 AM
User Info
I call this an ongoing review because I'll update it as I use this razor more and more. This first post is about a first use of the razor.

I got my Feather Popular (FPop) from Phil, and since I haven't had the time to take any pics of the one I received you can look at a pic on his site here - Feather Popular.

I got this razor to use as a travel razor (given its light construction and low price). Also, since it's made by Feather, I expected decent build quality.

I wasn't disappointed.

The razor comes well-packaged in a nice plastic case, along with a pack of Feather blades.

If you look at a pic of this razor, you'll notice that the whole razor is plastic, except for the TTO doors. Still, when you pick up the razor, you get a solid feel of quality. The handle is well-shaped, and it is longer than most TTO razors. I don't like long metal handles on my DE razors, but this handle just works on this razor. It feels nice in the hand and it is easy to maneuver around the face.

The TTO mechanism works well, even though I thought it felt a little 'thin'. I really liked that the blade-placement was perfect, and the blade exposure was very even.

Of course, the main test is the shave. I popped a Feather in the razor, and took it for a spin this morning.

As I expected, this is a mild razor. It's similar to the Feather AS-D1 I used to have, but without the weight. Given the (lack of) weight, it takes a conscious light touch to use this razor. However, if you don't start with several days stubble, this razor is an excellent shaver.

Each pass was smooth and the audible feedback was excellent. I got a really good shave in my usual 3+ passes. It was effortless, close and very comfortable.

This is day 1 with a new razor, so take this review with a grain of salt, but I really think that this is an excellent razor. I do like the solid feel of the vintage TTO's, and also some of the new stainless razors, so this razor will be used for travel and occasional use - not as a daily driver, but given that - it's really good.

I wouldn't suggest this razor to a newbie, even though it's mild - the lack of weight requires a conscious effort to avoid using pressure, and that's hard to do when you're starting out. It doesn't need pressure during use - you just need to let the razor do the work.

37 1,731
 03-22-2012, 05:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yohann,

Excellent post. I have two of these with one having a permanent home in my travel bag. I think they are excellent razors, especially for the cost involved and I find I get my best results using the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue blades.

I don't think shave 2-3-4 and 5 will change your mind.

173 23,490
 03-22-2012, 06:16 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
You have me intrigued, Yohann. I still take out my Feather AS once in a while and have wondered if the Popular's setup is similar (which would make sense). I still consider the AS a nice "one day's growth" razor so the Popular might indeed make a nice addition to my travel kit.

35 2,703
 03-23-2012, 04:27 AM
User Info
Well, the shave yesterday wasn't as close as I usually get from even a Tech.

This isn't surprising, as I have a lot of experience with a Tech, and none with this razor. Today's shave already seems better.

----

As an aside - I like Feather blades (they're my go-to blade), but recently I've noticed that the first shave is not as smooth as later shaves. Strange!

37 1,731
 03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Feather Popular is a razor I started out with in my DE adventure, it's a solid razor and not much to nitpick on other than the lack of weight that you pointed out. It's cheap enough to warrant trying it out.

0 115
 03-23-2012, 06:15 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-23-2012, 04:27 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: As an aside - I like Feather blades (they're my go-to blade), but recently I've noticed that the first shave is not as smooth as later shaves. Strange!

Hi Yohann

Hmm So it's not just me...

I recently got round to finally trying Feather blades, and definitely found shaves 2, 3 and 4 to be smoother than the first. Shave 5 is passable, I begin to feel very! minor tugging. So for me Feathers really are a 4 shave blade (5 if I wish to push them).

Regarding the first shave with a DE blade not being as smooth as the following shaves, I have found that to be true for a number of different blades...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This an excellent razor for travel since its lightweight and compact and comes in its own case.

100 12,437
 03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Shame on me, but I never used a Feather DE razor Confused
However, it seems I just need to get some, as they get nice reviews everywhere.

0 114
 03-25-2012, 03:56 AM
  • PDB
User Info
Sounds like you can't go wrong for the price. I will have to consider one for a travel kit at least.

0 31
 03-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
An excellent review, Yohann. Thank you. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 04-11-2012, 02:10 AM
User Info
Well, the Feather was the main razor that I took on my longish trip overseas (these last couple of weeks), so it got a real workout under real travel conditions.

My basic setup for this trip was - Frank Shaving Synthetic brush, Wilkinson shave stick, Feather Popular, Feather blades, and Realm ASB after.

The prep included a shower (not hot), followed by shaving in tepid water. I was in India; it was hot and humid, and I wasn't going to use hot water for a bath (which would lead to perspiration). The lather was built up on the face, using the FS brush (a detailed review on that will be posted elsewhere).

On to the review.

One line Review: This is an EXCELLENT razor! I cannot stress how happy I was with the shaves.

The Feather Popular is mild and light (given the plastic/metal construction). The fit and finish are what you'd expect from Feather, and the price is pretty amazing. It's a TTO razor, so popping in a Feather is a matter of moments.

You have to go 'back to basics' to get a nice shave from this razor/blade combination. I quickly realized that I got absolutely excellent shaves when I used it with short strokes (like Mantic shows in his beginner videos). Once I started using the short strokes, I was quickly impressed at how smooth my face was even after just one pass.

Since this was a vacation, I was able to do just two passes on most days (skipping the ATG pass), and still get a shave that was exceptional for both closeness and comfort. I was in India - think hot and humid, and still I suffered no sweat burn or irritation - indicating that the shaves were not damaging skin at all. Maybe my 5:00 o'clock shadow came in a little earlier than it would with a full 3-pass shave, but I was still better-shaven than most men there and I was comfortable.

The construction of the razor was initially distracting when I started using it, but soon I did not notice anything 'light' about it at all. The grip is excellent, and it feels much more substantial in the hand than it actually is. It did rattle a bit, though.

The pairing of this razor with a Feather blade (my go-to blade anyway) is just about perfect. You do have to pay attention to the blade the first time you use it - Feathers can be harsh when first used, but the shave was always smooth and comfortable. The Feathers do seem to fade after about 3 shaves. They remain smooth for shaves 4-5, but don't cut nearly as close. I can generally get 4-5 shaves from a Feather in a more aggressive razor, so that may be something to consider. However, I usually only use DE razors for touch-ups - artificially expanding the life of the blade (fewer passes).

Basically, this razor (the Feather Popular) is firmly set as my travel razor. I could also see myself using it otherwise, but I do have a bunch of DE razors, so it's not likely to make it into the regular rotation.

If you've not tried one, you should at least think about it. If you have used one, it may be a good idea to try the short, light strokes that I mentioned.

37 1,731
 04-11-2012, 04:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yohann,

Another excellent review of this great little razor.

173 23,490
 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
Great continuation of the review of this nice razor, Yohann. i hope you enjoyed your vacation.
i have one also. For the money, it is a great razor.

75 20,883
 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Great review.

I got a used one of these from another forum a few days ago and have used it a couple of times.

I must say that I am impressed with it and was not expecting such a cheap razor to perform so well.

32 638
 04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think I need to try one of these now.

116 3,804
 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
I received my Feather Popular from the UK only two days ago, and have used it only once, and I can only second what Yohann says; It is - considering it's price - and amazing little razor.

If it has a fault it is that is it too mild; however that might just as well be down to my technique. YMMV and all that Smile

3 3,556
 04-12-2012, 03:31 AM
User Info
(04-11-2012, 07:17 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I received my Feather Popular from the UK only two days ago, and have used it only once, and I can only second what Yohann says; It is - considering it's price - and amazing little razor.

If it has a fault it is that is it too mild; however that might just as well be down to my technique. YMMV and all that Smile

Yes, it certainly is mild.

I used to be in the 'more aggressive is better' camp, but I've been getting old and moving towards milder razors. I think they can give you every bit as close a shave as a more aggressive razor, but as you say - YMMV. Biggrin

One thing I do want to mention is that I certainly prefer to have milder razors in my travel kit. I find that the more aggressive razors reward precise prep, and you can't always guarantee that on a trip.

I certainly don't want to be scrambling around on a business trip, trying to find a CVS so that I can find something to cool down my face after my R41 has made ground beef of it. Wink

37 1,731
 04-18-2013, 02:13 AM
User Info
Good one, Yohann. Biggrin

Just started with this DE day before and loving it so far. 2 days into it.

4 358
 03-28-2014, 08:36 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I just got one in Tokyo for $6 new. I'll just have to jump on the bandwagon and compliment this nice shaver too. I usually prefer more aggressive SE or OC razors, but with a sharp blade, the FP performs very well, with zero irritation.

0 911
 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
At that price Bjorn you should have bought two.

I'm still using mine and it works great with my Astra SP blades.

173 23,490