11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
It has just dawned on me that many people complain about how 'Mild" a particular razor is and how they have to modify (shim etc)it to shave well and them various manufacturers produce more 'aggressive' razors i.e. R41,Tradere,Titan H1,Cadet and now possibly the new Ikon,s and then within a short time they go up for sale or trade because they are more aggressive or too aggressive. That is why Gillette was so successful..all their razors were mild.Seems like the only way to please anybody is to produce adjustible razors like the Progress ( which most people say they use set at #2 or #2.5)...basically mild setting. I know each to their own and you can,t please everybody but gee wiz if i were a manufacturer I would be afraid to invest the time and money to please such fussy buyers.Think about it are afraid to master a particular razor and just stay with it and then only buy blades,soap and accesories.Quite an issue for a company to make a business decision.What say you????????????HuhHuhHuh

6 1,902
 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
When I was 20, I used to shave everyday with a Gillette adjustable set at 7, and thought nothing of it. Today, 40 years later, shave with that same razor set at 3. When I went fixed blade, I settled on the Feather AS. I have an EJ Chatsworth, (DE8X head) and while many consider that razor to be medium, it's a bit gnarly for me to go ATG with. Yup, I like `em mild. They let me get VERY close and walk away with my hide intact. And maybe some straight users can weigh in here. Less irritation is what many like about straights. Go figure. no bar at all = less irritating shave ?? On the point about straights, many men would eventually quit the straight when their hands lost some steadiness from natural consequences of aging. So it was off to the local barber for their shave. Safeties did 2 things: let men shave more conveniently at home, and didn't require quite as steady a hand. a common complaint about Gillettes very first safeties was that they were TOO mild. Maybe for men accustomed to very close shaving with a straight, it might have seemed that way. There is also the matter of the difference between a carbon straight, and a mass-produced throw-away blade shaving quality. alot of men who straight shaved never quite got the hang of honing, or objected to the ongoing expense and "tedium" of keeping their honing equipment up to snuff, and would have the barber do it, because he could do a better job of honing than most. Older relatives told me that they were only too glad to trade the "inconvenience" of the straight, for a more "convenient", albeit, slightly more crummy shave. their words, not mine.

0 1,291
 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
I think when people complain of mild razors.. they are actually describing razors that have a smaller sweet spot for angles because of the narrower gap and guard position. It is hard for some to maintain a consistent angle over the contours of their face so they want a more "aggressive" razor that allows them to use more obtuse angles when shaving. Different strokes different folks. I love the tech and think it gives a great BBS shave. Many consider it too mild

2 694
 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM
User Info
My daily driver is the OCMM. A Gillette Slim on 9 is somewhat mild for me. A tech was like shaving with a piece of cardboard. The R41 was simply horrific for me though, way too rough. SEs are where the aggression and smoothness are for me.

That said, I'm pretty confident that I'm in a minority here and no company would base an entire line on my likes. That is why there really is no modern SE. The only exception being the Cobra.

31 7,892
 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Well I here all this about mild/aggressive and I just keep scratching my head. As long as I get to where I am driving at, I don't really care how I get there.

But, I agree with you how can a manufacturer make everyone happy? They can't.

But, I have some old Gillettes and I got an R41 and I got some other razors too.

But, I have to razors to experience what it was like to use them but, right now I am trying to figure out how to load a razor blade into a Gillette Red Tip.

1 819
 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM
User Info
Different strokes for different folks. If I had only a Tech to use I'd eat a bullet, go back to carts, or grow a beard.

My mildest razors today are the early Gillettes; OLD, NEW, and Single Ring. My Slim stays at setting 9 and is also on the mild side for me. The '11 R41 is more like it. Lots of SE razors also do it for me.

I agree that one of the reasons for a Tech being so frustrating is the narrow sweet spot, but it also doesn't give me the shave that I want easily- it's simply not capable. There simply isn't enough blade exposure. If someone likes it, great, but it just isn't for me w/o shimming it.

32 6,301
 11-13-2012, 04:47 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I love em' all. Tech to R41, SE's, Injectors and the Cobra and everything in between. I can almost always get something good out of everything if I am careful and concentrate with the more aggressive razors. I've forced myself to make them all work to justify my out of control RAD!

The only trouble I have is with the Feather AS-D1, not likely because it's so mild but likely because as mentioned above, it has such a small margin for the sweet spot. I think that if I used it every day, I might be able to make it work.

That said, I'll bet that every experienced shaver here can make any razor, mild to aggressive paired with any blade work well. I think that it's just a matter of what you get used to and/or what you want to deal with to make the razor work for you.

6 905
 11-13-2012, 05:33 AM
  • CB1
User Info
I like some of the more "aggressive" razors because after each pass I like to see more beard reduction. Of course all the other variables still have to align such as comfort otherwise the shave isn't enjoyable. I still think that even if it's just subconscious people are seeking the closest shave without trading comfort and enjoyment.
Another point I'd bring up is that sometimes people either don't want or don't have the time to be as careful as other times. If I'm in a mad rush for some reason I'm not sure I grab the R41 with a Feather. But the R41 with a Black, Silver Blue or Feather is a superb Sunday driver.

0 19
 11-13-2012, 05:36 AM
User Info
That is an interesting observtion Harvey.

Gillette has always had it clear. They knew that for the general public (in those times when most everybody shaved with De's) a razor that nicked you easily was not a good idea. Those were razors directed to the general public. Some razors in the market today are directed to shaving enthusiasts ... a much smaller market that Gillette's, and some manufacturers may just be looking at that smaller market.

From the first contact with wet shaving my journey took me from searching for razors on the agressive side at first to a gradual gravitation to the milder ones. I found that the more agressive razors took more attention and techinque to not to get nicked, while the milder ones asked for more attention to better techinque to get the same close shave. Now, with almost 100 razors in the bathroom and not repeating a shave with the same razor, I learned to adapt to the razor at hand and can get a confortable and close with the mayority of them. The shave was not in the razor but in my hand.

I do find a second characteristic in a razor that calls my attention more than just being mild or agressive ... its "smoothness". There are some mild razors that if find not smooth, they consistently feel rough. And on the other hand, there are some aggressive razors that I find just sliky smooth.

Anyhow, how a manufacturer positions their razor in terms of agressiveness or mildness does seem to be an important question to ponder.

0 68
 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
The thread brings back memories when I first started DE. I bought a Tech and was very disappointed. Now it is one of my favorites, with the right blade (Feather or similar) of coarse. I also thought I would be in heaven when I bought an Aristocrat JR., even with a mild blade I could not stop the weepers due to my skin type.

11 234
 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I tend to get on with razors across the spectrum from a Tech to the R41 but tend to use them for different tasks.

Milder razors work well for everyday use on my face, somewhat more aggressive razors if there's a few days stubble, and fully aggressive razors (usually along with a straight) for my head.

The two razors I can use on both my face and head are NEW's and Slants. I can't use fully aggressive razors such as an R41 or Ikon S3S OC side, on my face, though, regardless of how many days stubble there is - they're just far too aggressive for that task, but make light work of my head.

I've never had a problem with a Feather AS-D1; it's been perfect since day one (I guess I'm just lucky that it suits my face so well).

I think the key to it is about finding those razors that hit the sweet spot for you, keeping those, and discarding others which just don't quite do it for you.

32 638
 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
User Info
For me technique is the main thing and the rest is just a matter of preference. With good technique just about any razor/blade combo can be made to work with a minimum of fuss but fortunately we're not so limited.

I prefer long handle razors (Krona, Gillette Super adjustable, Chatsworth) because their balance, weight and feel work better for my established technique. I select a razor that suits my style and creams/soaps/aftershaves for their scent. I really don't give any thought as to whether a given razor is considered mild, medium or aggressive, because only by using it can I tell how well it adapts to me.

0 500