11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
I get very good results from OC razors such as the Old Type and my favorite, the Fatip. So I decided to give the RazoRock Jaws (Cadet) OC razor a shot and used it for the first time today.

At first, I was disappointed that the Cadet head didn't fit on to any of my BRW handles. However, the stock handle did just fine, it's just not what I was used to.

After loading the blade, it looked very similar to my Fatip. It looks like it will rip your face off with the blade exposure, but after the first pass, I was very pleased with how it shaved. In fact, the shave also reminded me of the Fatip. Just the right aggression with a touch of smoothness.

For the price of the razor, I felt like I wasn't really taking a chance if I didn't like it. But I have nothing but good things to say about the razor, how it handles and the shave it gives.

If you're on the fence, maybe this helped.

9 1,199
 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information, Randy!

75 20,883
 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 07:25 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I get very good results from OC razors such as the Old Type and my favorite, the Fatip. So I decided to give the RazoRock Jaws (Cadet) OC razor a shot and used it for the first time today.

At first, I was disappointed that the Cadet head didn't fit on to any of my BRW handles. However, the stock handle did just fine, it's just not what I was used to.

After loading the blade, it looked very similar to my Fatip. It looks like it will rip your face off with the blade exposure, but after the first pass, I was very pleased with how it shaved. In fact, the shave also reminded me of the Fatip. Just the right aggression with a touch of smoothness.

For the price of the razor, I felt like I wasn't really taking a chance if I didn't like it. But I have nothing but good things to say about the razor, how it handles and the shave it gives.

If you're on the fence, maybe this helped.

Randy, I know you like a larger handle and so what I did was take the Cadet OC head and I paired it to a Parker 98R handle. It is large and substantial. The screw hole is deep enough on the 98R as on other Parker razors to accept the OC base screw.

[Image: CadetHeadParker98RHandle.jpg]

1 2,827
 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
Awesome, Gary! I really appreciate the advice. Now off to troll TSN BST...

9 1,199
 11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for your first impressions of this fine razor. The open comb head is one of the best around. Use it well.

100 12,445
 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-12-2012, 07:25 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: At first, I was disappointed that the Cadet head didn't fit on to any of my BRW handles. However, the stock handle did just fine, it's just not what I was used to.

Hi Randy

Is that due to the length of the threaded centre stud?

If yes, take a look here...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
(11-14-2012, 08:32 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(11-12-2012, 07:25 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: At first, I was disappointed that the Cadet head didn't fit on to any of my BRW handles. However, the stock handle did just fine, it's just not what I was used to.

Hi Randy

Is that due to the length of the threaded centre stud?

If yes, take a look here...

Take care, Mike

Thanks, Mike. After I posted my comments, I found your post (now THAT'S a review). I use only BRW handles and the tjread on the cadet head is a bit too wide for the BRW handles. I twill screw on, but it requires too much muscle.

How did you cut the thread on the head?

Thanks again for your help.

9 1,199
 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-14-2012, 10:48 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I use only BRW handles and the tjread on the cadet head is a bit too wide for the BRW handles. I twill screw on, but it requires too much muscle.

How did you cut the thread on the head?

Hi Randy

That's very unfortunate it won't screw into your BRW handles...

I used a small (6inch) hacksaw, then a fine metal file to clean up the tiny burrs left by the saw-cut.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Thanks, Mike. The hacksaw I have is too big so I was wondering what you used. I also agree with your review that the handle could be a few mm thicker. That would have been great. I'm on the look out for a Parker handle as Gary suggested.

The handle thing aside, this is one great shaver and I can't believe I got it for $16. I remember my Fatip from Phil being in the $37 range. There's probably a lesson here, but I'm going to ignore it.Tongue

9 1,199
 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
User Info
(11-14-2012, 03:14 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Thanks, Mike. The hacksaw I have is too big so I was wondering what you used. I also agree with your review that the handle could be a few mm thicker. That would have been great. I'm on the look out for a Parker handle as Gary suggested.

The handle thing aside, this is one great shaver and I can't believe I got it for $16. I remember my Fatip from Phil being in the $37 range. There's probably a lesson here, but I'm going to ignore it.Tongue

Randy, I got my 98R on Amazon and it was about $32. So that made my overall cost slightly less than $50 with the Cadet OC Head.
Good fortune.

1 2,827
 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-14-2012, 03:14 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I also agree with your review that the handle could be a few mm thicker. That would have been great. I'm on the look out for a Parker handle as Gary suggested.

The handle thing aside, this is one great shaver and I can't believe I got it for $16.

Hi Randy

For me the handle diameter is the only thing that lets this razor down.

Totally agree, for $16 this razor is a steal and probably offers the best value for money in the DE razor market...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872