11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
Anyone else use a fresh blade at every shave?

I can't grasp the idea of a blade getting sharper or better after usage. I mean I guess if I presented to me I would say there is a small chance its true but then why wouldn't manufacturers do that to begin with to achieve maximum sharpness? After all it is a fair competition market not a monopoly. Yes I do realize that manufacturers don't go all the way to make thier products the best. They find an equilibrium between good product and making the heftiest profit.

We all know for a fact that blades are the sharpest when unused. Some speculate that a some blades from some brands sharpen with usage which is well and good but I don't have the patience to test that or wait for it.

So if that particular blade isn't as sharp from the pack its in. Then so be it. It'll probably be a 2% defective rate. I doubt that a company like Feather (blade brand I use) has a wide margin for "Acceptable defective units rate".

Whats the current acceptable defective rate for items such as blades?
96% has to be non defective and only 4% can be defective?

I'm not starting a single use vs multi use thread.

Just gathering consensus. Biggrin

0 193
 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I've found that I get my best shaves with a blades second shave.

2 126
 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
User Info
I've used a single blade for 13 uses. I could have gone longer but I got tired of counting.

31 7,912
 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM
User Info
i am not sure which blades you are referring to, but the Feather Professional blades for the Cobra Classic actually get smoother after the third shave for me. The first three shaves, they are too sharp.
Can not comment on DE blades as i find my favourites good until after the 4th or 5th shave.

75 20,883
 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:12 PM)DaveL Wrote: I've found that I get my best shaves with a blades second shave.

(11-12-2012, 09:20 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've used a single blade for 13 uses. I could have gone longer but I got tired of counting.

Thats great guys!

Nothing wrong it.

0 193
 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
User Info
Well, it all depends on the razor and the blade how many shaves I get. The blade will tell my face, it's up to me to understand the signs. When I was testing blades I actually discounted right up front blades that only gave me just a few good shaves. That took out of the running some great shaving blades.

With some of my aggressive SE razors I can actually see tiny sheets of dead skin cells that have been removed when the blade is fresh. That quits about the 5th shave and I can start to relax a little bit with the blade/razor combo.

Do blades get sharper with use? Not that I'm aware of, smoother yes. More forgiving, yes. All because they're losing their ultra sharp edge.

Most of my DE blades give me 7 shaves, and my SE blades of choice (GEM SS ptfe coated) average 14 shaves, but I've gotten substantially more shaves from them too and a few only gave me 12 before they delivered negative indications.

DE blades could begin tugging, or start to give weepers. My SE blades are mostly well behaved right up to the end. The shave begins to suffer and a BBS becomes harder to achieve with my 2 1/3 pass shave.

32 6,308
 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
My beard is medium so I think that sharpness doesn't necessarly equal comfort for me. I too find that blades mellow out after the first shave and then are quite comfortable. I've read that some people 'cork' blades by sliding the edge throuh a wine cork to get rid of the first shave harshness - never tried it though.
I go for a new blade at the first sign of tugging or discomfort anywhere from 5 to 14 days depending on the brand.

2 501
 11-13-2012, 12:40 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:33 PM)celestino Wrote: i am not sure which blades you are referring to, but the Feather Professional blades for the Cobra Classic actually get smoother after the third shave for me. The first three shaves, they are too sharp.
Can not comment on DE blades as i find my favourites good until after the 4th or 5th shave.

Coincidentally I was going to start a thread about Feather blades and I will.

But I use the one on the left:

[Image: 100-feather-razor-blades-double-edge-fre...-67b3b.jpg]

(11-12-2012, 10:22 PM)vuk Wrote: My beard is medium so I think that sharpness doesn't necessarly equal comfort for me. I too find that blades mellow out after the first shave and then are quite comfortable. I've read that some people 'cork' blades by sliding the edge throuh a wine cork to get rid of the first shave harshness - never tried it though.
I go for a new blade at the first sign of tugging or discomfort anywhere from 5 to 14 days depending on the brand.

That actually sounds like a good idea.
I seem to nick myself on the chin. Its sorta rounded (my chin) and difficult to maneuver a blade across.

0 193
 11-13-2012, 03:36 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:04 PM)hedonist222 Wrote: Anyone else use a fresh blade at every shave?

No Winky

31 1,800
 11-13-2012, 04:02 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Initially, I was one and out then two and out just for neurotic reasons. Biggrin

Now, I'll go to three for most blades except Feather DE's which don't go beyond two decent shaves for me.

My reason is because instead of tugging or pulling when a blade is no longer good, it gives me horrible weepers and I am not willing to deal with that. It can happen after three shaves with some blades hence my reasoning for three and out instead of pushing on any further.

As mentioned, the Feather or Kai SE blades in the Cobra and the SE Gem's or Ted Pella's in the SE razors are a different story fro me too. I can get five to eight shaves in the Cobra and up to 10 shaves with the SE blades in the Gem/EverReady razors I have.

6 905
 11-13-2012, 04:05 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
There's been a few that were single uses (because they went into the bin after a first use)

116 3,804
 11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
User Info
I use a straight 4 or 5 times a week. On the days I use a DE, I use a Derby once then dispose of it. Works for me. They are inexpensive enough that cost is not an issue. I like the feel of a new blade and my post shave routine is simpler.

37 2,942
 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM
User Info
I use the blade far as long as it works but I don't push it.

0 500
 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Well, it just depends.

I have a rather stout beard. I also don't mind paying .30-.40 USD/blade, so long as it's top shelf.

Making a long story short, if I get a great effortless shave on day 1, I'll go day 2. If it requires too much 'clean-up', it's one and out. I know some can get a week or more. I've heard of some attempting to go an entire month, but that to me is just... well lets just say Doubt

FWIW, my favorite blades are Feather and the Polsilver family.

JMHO Hedonist.

2 546
 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I am a single use shaver. Once in a while I use certain blades twice like Gillette Minora because of their cost or others because they are harder to find. For some reason using them multiple times creeps me out.

45 3,955
 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
The only blades I use once and throw away are those which are just horrible and I vow to never use again. I use my Personna Reds twice before throwing away and my Polsilver SIs 3-4 times. That's it. Everyone seems to say go longer, but after that with either blade things can come up and get me.

129 6,685
 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:04 PM)hedonist222 Wrote: Anyone else use a fresh blade at every shave?

I can't grasp the idea of a blade getting sharper or better after usage. I mean I guess if I presented to me I would say there is a small chance its true but then why wouldn't manufacturers do that to begin with to achieve maximum sharpness?

A blade won't get sharper after usage, and sharper does not always mean better. There might be those who disagree, but I will believe it when I see photomicrographs that prove otherwise.

For some individuals, a particular blade might be just a little too sharp and aggressive when new, but give great shaves after being dulled slightly by the first shave. It is akin to corking a blade to make it usable and pleasant. Shouldn't a blade work well right out of the box?

I never did see the logic in using a blade only once. It seems wasteful, not to mention the annoyance of having to change the blade before each shave. If a given blade type is only good for one shave, then it makes more sense to use a different blade, one which will give good results over multiple shaves. Diddling around to get a good shave with a blade might appeal to some - the challenge of getting an initially unsuitable solution to work. My opinion is derived from an opposite ideal, that of the no-fuss no-muss comfortable and smooth shave.

0 303
 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM
User Info
(11-23-2012, 02:34 PM)Tbone Wrote:

I can't grasp the idea of a blade getting sharper or better after usage. I mean I guess if I presented to me I would say there is a small chance its true but then why wouldn't manufacturers do that to begin with to achieve maximum sharpness?

A blade won't get sharper after usage, and sharper does not always mean better. There might be those who disagree, but I will believe it when I see photomicrographs that prove otherwise.

For some individuals, a particular blade might be just a little too sharp and aggressive when new, but give great shaves after being dulled slightly by the first shave. It is akin to corking a blade to make it usable and pleasant. Shouldn't a blade work well right out of the box?

I never did see the logic in using a blade only once. It seems wasteful, not to mention the annoyance of having to change the blade before each shave. If a given blade type is only good for one shave, then it makes more sense to use a different blade, one which will give good results over multiple shaves. Diddling around to get a good shave with a blade might appeal to some - the challenge of getting an initially unsuitable solution to work. My opinion is derived from an opposite ideal, that of the no-fuss no-muss comfortable and smooth shave.

I'm not so sure Tbone. I think it really does depend on the beard. I believe some beards really are more 'stout' than others. I can't imagine getting more than a couple of 'good' shaves from any blade, yet others can go almost a week.

If I have a good steak give me your sharpest knife, even though others may do. JMHO

2 546
 11-26-2012, 12:15 AM
  • A28
User Info
I have never used aDe blade more then once why? Cause I think there is nothing better than a fresh blade and cost is no issue

3 316
 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
(11-12-2012, 09:12 PM)DaveL Wrote: I've found that I get my best shaves with a blades second shave.

Probably because that first shave helped refine the edge, took some of the microscopic flaws off it.

0 13