11-12-2012, 10:27 PM
User Info
I think what summarizes Schick hisotry are good designs and not so good marketing.
I shaved with a Krona last week. It is a brilliant razor. Somehow there is enough blade exposure to get a fantastic close shave but it is not aggressive and the safety bar is there to offer real protection. As much as I like the super speed line, the Krona is as good if not better. The only thing that it lacks is weight. Had it been made of brass, it would have been perfect. Maybe one of the Indian makers (cadet ?) would decide on homage to schick and make a replica.

I had tried a Shick Injector, late model, I think L1. Also fantastic shave. In fact, that is the most no-brainer razor I have shaved with to date. On days where my head is not screwed well enough to manage a sharp object yet a good shave is still important, i don't see myself reaching for anything else.

But look at the market. They have allways been playing a (rather small) second violin to Gillette which never really offered a superior product but they did have heavy guns in themarketing department.

what do you think?

6 808
 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM
User Info
I don't like Injectors; but I agree with you on the point that Kronas > SuperSpeeds.

0 257
 11-13-2012, 04:51 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I love the Krona! It was my first foray into vintage razors and I can always get an amazing shave out of it.

If you like the Krona but want something heavier, investigate the Wilkinson Sticky. I think it's very similar but a tad more aggressive and even though it has a lot of plastic on it, it's quite a bit heavier than the Krona.

6 905
 11-13-2012, 05:01 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I will always have a Krona and an Injector Type E. Two of my favorites.

116 3,804
 11-13-2012, 07:28 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
If I was honest with myself I would have 1 or 2 Schick injectors and 0 DE or other SE razors.

I of course am not honest with myself and continually acquire other stuff.

12 648
 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
The Schick injectors that I've found so far were a nice surprise for me. Very pleasant to use, and deliver a nice, smooth and close shave.

2 5,527
 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I too like the Krona ... a very nice shave indeed.

Marketing and Market Share and Patents.

Gillette did well until some other company made a better Razor Blade then, Gillette focused on multi-blade razors.

1 819
 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
I now have a couple Kronas that are active in my razor rotation along with the Feather AS and the Wilkinson Sticky. They require a little bit of effort to find the "sweet spot" and right amount of pressure, but they can give great shaves. I did try the injectors for a little while, but they just weren't for me.

183 12,002
 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
+1 on the Krona love!
I just bought a second one to have as a backup. As others have stated, the Krona feels safe and mild but still gives a nice, close shave! I'd put them approximately equal to 40's SuperSpeeds, which I also love.
The injectors are great too. I have E,G and L models. G and L are pussycats... the E can bite a bit harder Smile

0 911
 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I chose a Krona for my reintroduction to wet shaving and I'm glad to say I made the right decision. It's an excellent razor. I've moved on to a Mühle R89 because I wanted something slightly heavier but I will be keeping the Krona. I'll probably try a Sticky at some point but I like the 89 so I'm in no hurry.

0 132
 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM
  • iancxx
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Co Durham//UK
User Info
You fella's have got my R.A.D,radar working with these reveiw's.
i am sure i need to at least try one of these Krona's just to make sure they work,and i get to try dif blades again,bugger,will need a new brush to go with it aswell i think,look,s like a trip to the bay or etsyRolleyes

Ian

0 9
 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
I am very fond of the Krona, it is my second favorite vintage razor, my favorite vintage razor is a Red tip super speed. I do find the Krona better than the thin handled 40s style or a flare tip.

0 24
 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I learned to shave on a Type L and I think the Schick Injector was the most brilliant design of all the safety razors.

Even so, since I got into the enhanced traditional wetshave that we practice on these forums, I have become very DE-oriented and I have had a difficult time getting back into the Injector. I have several nice Injectors and a pretty good stash of vintage blades, though, so at some point I'll put more of an effort into it.

I also just got a lot of Schick Plus Platinum DE blades, so I'm sittin' pretty.

- Murray

4 1,150
 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Just ordered a Krona... Can't wait to get my hands on it... Will post a review...

5 1,151
 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM
User Info
I shaved today with a 1950's G type injector. It is a brlliant design, the most intuitive razor I have ever used.

6 808
 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
The Schick Krona is a beautifully designed shaving tool whose virtues are rugged simplicity, correct proportions, balance, and a set blade angle that gives an excellent shave without being either too mild or too aggressive. I've used examples of each major razor model to come out in the last 50 years and the Schick Krona is as close to an every man's razor as I have found.

0 500
 11-24-2012, 09:57 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
(11-21-2012, 07:33 PM)squire Wrote: ...I've used examples of each major razor model to come out in the last 50 years and the Schick Krona is as close to an every man's razor as I have found.

For this reason, the Krona would be my recommendation for anyone switching from carts to DE (if they were determined to buy vintage). There are however, a few variations of Krona. I'm sure I've seen a thread on it somewhere. Most of the differences are cosmetic but I think someone remarked that the early ones with the metal end knob were slightly more aggressive (although, this is of course relative).

0 132
 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Acquired my Krona Monday. Cleaned and sanitized it and loaded it up w/ a PolSilver blade. It shaves like a dream... Great razor.

5 1,151
 11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
Good show, joe.

0 500