11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
User Info
Hi everyone -

I got a little carried away again recently and these are some items that need to find better homes as seems to happen to me alot. However, since Thanksgiving is close at hand, I figure I would do something a little different. I want to take the proceeds for this sale (and the accompanying Part II here) and donate 20% of the sale price to the Greater Boston Food Bank, which is our family's charity of choice. All items will be sent CONUS shipping included via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. I can ship to international members for actual cost.

(1) Hoffritz branded (most likely) Simpson Chubby 2 in Best. I bought this from Edson a few weeks ago, and both he and I really think its a Chubby 2. It certainly has the handle shape, and is the same size as a CH2. It is branded "Hoffritz" in lampblack, with either "IO2" or "102" printed and the remains of "Made in England." On the bottom it says "Best Badger." All of these markings are in lampblack.

Its a beautiful brush, and the three-bands has an amber hue to them, which complements the handle. The handle is very interesting. I love butterscotch handles and this one has a really orange-ish hue.

I really wanted to love this brush, but Chubby 2s are just too big for me. That is the original knot, and its in great shape (see original post here). I bought this for $65, and I would like to sell for $65 (with $13 donation to GBFB). SOLD! Thanks vocalistbob and TSN!

(2) Vintage Rooney large bristle brush. I bought this from eBay purely out of intrigue. Despite being labelled as "large" it is actually very small. I don't have the ability to measure, but I would estimate the knot size to be around 18mm and the loft to be around 40mm. It is practically brand new; in fact, it hadn't been used at all when I got it.

The handle actually unscrews at the black band in the middle. I had originally given thought to restoring it, but I figure I would be better off selling it instead. It was originally sold to me as a badger brush, but it is clearly boar bristles. I bought it for $30, but since it really is boar, I am selling it for $25 (with $5 donation to GBFB). SOLD! Thanks ShadowsDad and TSN!

(3) J.R. Torrey 6/8 round point straight with RupRazor Filly strop. I thought this razor was a really nice looking razor with a beautiful patina. It certainly seems like a straight-forward good razor; I couldn't say exactly because I could never get the hang of it.

I especially liked it because it was made in Worcester, Mass. and I like antique/historical artifacts. The scales are some black plastic and I had given some thought to rescaling them and then I realized I haven't attempted a shave with it in about two months.

I bought this from the other forum for $42, freshly honed. I attempted about 3 shaves with it and stopped early on. The Filly has no nicks or issues. I figure on selling them together for $60 (with $12 donation to GBFB).

(4) Gilbert Henry Bay Rum Aftershave Balm. This is really nice stuff and provides a distinct bay rum, more light and "citrus" and one of the few BR balms. Its got really nice ingredients. The problem is that it just irritates my face. Otherwise I would not be selling it. It moisturizes well and provides a great scent. I used it about 5 times, so I would say conservatively there is 90% left. It sells new for $29, so I am selling it for $25 (with $5 donation to GBFB).

So hopefully this sale raises $35 for the Food Bank (we donate as much as we can to them). As usual, feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns, and if you feel that my prices are out line, feel free to comment in this thread. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for looking,
Josh

Quick update - the Hoffritz brush is SOLD! Thanks vocalistbob and TSN!

72 1,407
 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
Josh, the Rooney boar looks to be in fine shape. What about it requires restoration? Or did I read that incorrectly?

edit: Dibs on it until you get back to me.

32 6,309
 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
User Info
Dang it! I want that chubby!!! Congrats Bob.

63 2,128
 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
Sorry Cessna...

66 692
 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
  • diggity
  • Los Gatos, CA
User Info
What a great way to help others, Josh! Thumbup

18 281
 11-14-2012, 01:08 AM
User Info
(11-13-2012, 08:48 PM)vocalistbob Wrote: Sorry Cessna...

Enjoy it, she is a beaut' Biggrin

(11-13-2012, 08:52 PM)diggity Wrote: What a great way to help others, Josh! Thumbup

Agreed!

63 2,128
 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM
User Info
(11-13-2012, 08:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Josh, the Rooney boar looks to be in fine shape. What about it requires restoration? Or did I read that incorrectly?

Brian - actually nothing about it requires restoration. But I've been kind've itching to try to restore a brush myself and so this would have been a good entry point. The boar hair is barely used; it still needs a little breaking in but I think once it does, it could easily compete with smaller brushes like the Omega "bambino."

72 1,407
 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
Thanks Josh.

Maybe I don't get out much, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. PM sent.

It'll definitely be my smallest boar.

(11-14-2012, 05:45 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(11-13-2012, 08:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Josh, the Rooney boar looks to be in fine shape. What about it requires restoration? Or did I read that incorrectly?

Brian - actually nothing about it requires restoration. But I've been kind've itching to try to restore a brush myself and so this would have been a good entry point. The boar hair is barely used; it still needs a little breaking in but I think once it does, it could easily compete with smaller brushes like the Omega "bambino."

32 6,309
 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM
User Info
Quick update - Rooney boar brush sold! Thanks ShadowsDad and TSN! So far, across both posts, $50 has been raised for the Greater Boston Food Bank.

72 1,407
 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM
User Info
BUMP! And I want to get the donation to the GBFB before this weekend begins. So until 4PM EST today (11/16), all proceeds from this sale will be donated.

72 1,407
 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
OK - 4PM has passed, so back to the original offer. $106 generously donated so far! Thanks everyone!

72 1,407
 11-16-2012, 10:42 PM
User Info
FWIW (in way of a bump too), it appears to be a nice little boar. Quite handsome, nice Rooney decal. I'm in the process of doing more break in of it. Yes, it's my smallest boar knot, but the handle is full size and quite nice. When it's "face ready" I expect it will face lather quite nicely.

Does anyone have any information about the brush? I'm clueless about it, never saw one of these before. Heck, that's why I bought it! Biggrin

32 6,309