11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250891.JPG?m=1352835819]

As I said on another thread , regarding the Wet Shaving Products "The Prince" silvertip brush , I play with advantage since I was lucky enough to tested the finest two band hair used in this brush , and I already knew how good it is , like the silvertip and super silvertip badger hairs.

This version of "The Prince" has a finest badger 2 band , which is very similar in performance to the Rooney super badger two band , with the "gel alike" tips , that so many people like.

[Image: P1250894.JPG?m=1352835821]

The brush ,as the other Wet Shaving Products brushes that I have tried so far , is well manufactured , with a nice handle made of resin (I would LOVE to see this handle style in imitation Ivory or white) and comfortable to hold.

These are its measures (approx) :
  • 23 mm knot
  • 47 mm loft
  • 49 mm handle height
  • 96 mm total height

so it has the same measures than the WSP "The Prince" in silvertip hair , which makes it a medium size brush.

[Image: P1250895.JPG?m=1352835821]

This finest badger 2 band , as I said , has very soft tips (no scritch or scratch at all) and some scrubbiness , due to the of its backbone and natural bristle firmness.Yes , this hair has extra soft tips , "gel alike" and some gentlemen like to refer to them.

On its first used , it didnt have too much of a flow , but after I soften it , the flow have showed up , and its there.However , its not as pronounced as the silvertip version.

And yes , you can guess , this brush is perfect to use with triple milled soaps and face lathering with circular strokes.Actually , it does needs less product than the silvertip version , due to have less amount of badger hair , but creates a extremely thick lather with almot no effort.Another good thing , I dont have to shake too much the excess of water out of it , so I have the right amount of water to create lather very fast , and that the lather gets a thick consistency with no effort (almost).

Here is a pic of its hair density :

[Image: P1250896.JPG?m=1352838167]

A the question for many , Im sure it is : how would you compare it with "The Prince" silvertip or "The Monarch" super badger two band ?

I find that this hair is quiet similar to "The Monarch" super badger two band , but the Monarch two band has even softer this , if that could be possible , and a better flow , due to the higher of its loft.

With "The Prince silvertip" there are some differences : "The Prince" silvertip has more hair , since the silvertip hair is less thick than the two band hair , so it takes more time to create lather with it and also more product.With "The Prince" finest 2 band , less product and less time to create lather.

"The Prince" silvertip also has more flow , but less firm backbone (not by much) and also blooms a little bit more , once its wet :

[Image: P1250901.JPG?m=1352838166]

And , as I said , "The Prince" silvertip has like 5 to 10 % more of badger hair :

[Image: P1250902.JPG?m=1352838168]

However , "The Prince" finest 2 band feels amazing on the face , due to the extra soft tips , with some scrubbiness , and its great to use with triple milled soaps , and so and so with creams."The Prince" silvertip has soft tips , less backbone and a little bit more of flow , performs great with shaving creams and very good with shaving soaps.

As I said , both "The Prince" offers quality and excellent service , for their price , but this finest 2 band badger is what so many die hard face latherers are looking for on a brush , specially if you are also a soap user.

This brush cost 59 , 99 dollars , like "The Prince" silvertip , which makes it even a better deal , compared it to some other "famous" brushes for face lathering , like the Rooney 1/1.

86 7,123
 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info
Teiste, thanks for the review, my friend.

75 20,883
 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
User Info
Teiste, another great review on a very fine specimen. All hail the Manchurian badger!

63 2,128
 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Used it again today (yesterday was The Prince silvertip time) , and I re confirm my experience with it : this brush , for facelathering , is nothing short of excellent !

[Image: P1260407.JPG?m=1359014813]

86 7,123
 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
Now I'm more curious about the brush. Your report is fantastic and informative, as always, my friend. Thank you!

17 908
 01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got one of these from Mrs. Songwind this Christmas, and it has quickly shot up the ranks to be in contention for my favorite brush.

10 1,858
 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Very nice, if could get this hair in a longer handle, say a Polo 8 size I would seriously consider it since I use a DB scuttle for generating the lather and would prefer a longer handle. The performance of the knot does sound excellent. I wonder how this knot compares to the SOC 2 band though? Would anyone be able to offer an oppinion?

14 870
 01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
Think about an SOC 2-band without any prickle or scritch. Great backbone for a scrubby massage while lathering, but super soft tips. The one I used had absolute zero prickle in the knot and zero all black inclusions. Each hair shaft had beautiful white tips.

31 7,914
 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I agree with Brian's assessment. Similar strength and scrubbiness, but much softer.

10 1,858
 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Wow, high recommendations indeed! Thank you gentlemen. Now if only I could get that knot in a taller handle...

14 870
 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
You could also pick up a SuperFine 2-band knot and then have it set into a restore or custom handle at the loft you pick.

31 7,914
 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Also, many custom handle turners will let you order them a knot from anywhere. Elite Razor lists WSP as a source by default. So it's definitely doable.

10 1,858
 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
This is fabulous information guys, thank you very, very much!!

14 870
 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Excellent Review. Excellent Product.

I bought this brush when it was on sale at the end of the year. I have to admit I figured I would not like it. Figured with the backbone that it had the tips just couldn't be soft enough to make it enjoyable to use. Boy was I ever wrong. Because of the backbone, flow, size and softness of the tips this is my favorite badger brush. I bowl lather, but I can see how this would be perfect for face lathering. I plan to work on my face lathering with this brush as I plan to use it a lot for traveling.

Anyway. I'm not good enough to do my own review, so I wanted to add yet another positive to this already splendid review. If you get the chance, grab one of these while you can.

14 1,177
 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(01-24-2013, 02:18 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Excellent Review. Excellent Product.

I bought this brush when it was on sale at the end of the year. I have to admit I figured I would not like it. Figured with the backbone that it had the tips just couldn't be soft enough to make it enjoyable to use. Boy was I ever wrong. Because of the backbone, flow, size and softness of the tips this is my favorite badger brush. I bowl lather, but I can see how this would be perfect for face lathering. I plan to work on my face lathering with this brush as I plan to use it a lot for traveling.

Anyway. I'm not good enough to do my own review, so I wanted to add yet another positive to this already splendid review. If you get the chance, grab one of these while you can.

I think you just did a review, and it was well done! Thanks for your input.

14 870
 01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
User Info
I am getting one soon....

0 606
 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM
User Info
Arrived today: WSP Prince 2-band Biggrin

[Image: 13374534ed.jpg]

[Image: 13374535od.jpg]

[Image: 13374538bg.jpg]

[Image: 13374541vn.jpg]

With wet hairs

[Image: 13374544fm.jpg]

Unfortunately, the logo is a little ruined. But not dramatic, I think. The wet hair feel luxurious. I am curious about the first real use.

17 908
 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Excellent pics , Andi ! Let us know when you try it.

86 7,123
 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I've got a brush here that may need re-knotting......Thank you for this review. I had read others about this brush and the silvertip one and kept getting confused on the differences, this thread spelled it out very well Biggrin

Now it's narrowed down between this one and the HMW knot.....decisions decisions lol

10 411
 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
Today, the first shave with this amazing brush.
Super soft tips, very dense and very good backbone... and that for a fantastic price.
WOW! I'm very satisfied!
The leather lasts for more than three passes... Almost for a barbershop morning Biggrin
The hair feels incredible on the skin. This is a very very good product, highly recommended.

17 908