11-13-2012, 06:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, here is my best description of the Wm. Neumann & Co. 1911 After Shave Splash and After Shave Balm.

The after shave is a very healing product (think Speick healing). It is alcohol based, so if you have any scrapes or cuts, it is going to sting, but that soon gives way to a very refreshing, healing feeling that leaves your face feeling really refreshed. The scent is as I described it in my 1911 soap review. Something I really like. I can tell you this is one of my favorite after shaves and it is in my regular rotation.

The after shave balm is alcohol-free and is very soothing with the same great scent. It goes on smooth and is easy to work into the skin, and it does not leave your face feeling greasy. It leaves it feeling very moist, soft, and refreshed. This is also in my regular rotation of balms. And one of the most important factors, my wife loves the way this product line smells.

I believe the best way to tell why it works so well for me, is stated by the manufacture of the product.

Product Details 1911 After Shave Splash:

This traditional alcohol based after-shave is blended with only the finest herbal extracts and essential oils. It stings like the dickens when first applied to a freshly shaven face, then begins to soothe, hydrate, and provide natural relief to irritated skin.

We use the finest natural ingredients known for their soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Our exclusive blend of botanical extracts encourage the healing of minor nicks and cuts.

4 fl.oz/118ml, Amber Glass Bottle

Key Ingredients:

Organic Aloe, Witch Hazel, Slippery Elm Bark, Marshmallow Root, and Chickweed--Soothes and calms irritated skin

Kosher Vegetable Glycerin--Naturally hydrates and softens the skin

Green Tea and Blue-Green Algae--Powerful natural antioxidants, encourage the healing process

Nettle, Milk Thistle, and Black Willow Bark--Well known for their healing and astringent qualities

Tea Tree Oil--Naturally fights bacteria

Wm. Neumann & Co. 1911 Fragrance Blend:

Taken from the formulary notes of Wm. Neumann dated 1911. A classic traditional American fragrance of Crisp Citruses carefully blended with the rich woody essence of Sandalwood, Rosewood, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Vanilla, and Spices brings oneself back to the turn-of-the-century—A smooth, masculine, and timeless American classic.

Product Details 1911 After Shave Balm:

This soothing, alcohol-free after-shave balm is blended with only the finest herbal extracts and essential oils. It soothes and provides natural relief to irritated skin.

We use the finest natural ingredients known for their soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Our exclusive blend of botanical extracts encourage the healing of minor nicks and cuts.

4 fl.oz/118ml, Amber Glass Bottle

Key Ingredients:

Organic Aloe and Witch Hazel--Soothes and calms irritated skin

Coconut Oil, Glycerin and Jojoba Oil--Naturally hydrates and softens the skin

Vitamin E and Grape Seed Extract--Powerful natural antioxidants, encourage the healing process

Oat Straw and Black Willow Bark Extracts--Well known for their healing and astringent qualities

Rosemary and Neem Oil--Naturally fight bacteria

Wm. Neumann & Co. 1911 Fragrance Blend:

Taken from the formulary notes of Wm. Neumann dated 1911. A classic traditional American fragrance of Crisp Citruses carefully blended with the rich woody essence of Sandalwood, Rosewood, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Vanilla, and Spices brings oneself back to the turn-of-the-century—A smooth, masculine, and timeless American classic.

173 23,546
 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
There seems to be a correlation between aftershaves that have both alcohol and witch hazel being the best healing aftershaves. I'm surprised more don't have both.

45 3,955
 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is one of the ways to get there. Some for example have allantoin in them which is very healing.

173 23,546
 11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Thanks Johnny... Excellent review

5 1,151
 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
I'm using the 1911 splash right now and love it.

9 1,199
 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
Today I used the Heartwood splash. I agree, wonderful combo. Enough alcohol to let you know how you shaved, plenty of witch hazel to sooth the skin out.

129 6,685
 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I've been tempted to pull the trigger on 2 of the Neumann AS, but how strong and long lasting are the scents as compared to those of Captains Choice and Ogallala (my current favorites)? I've gotten away from aftershaves with strong scents that last for hours.

0 204
 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I don't think they are strong at all. Very pleasant to me. The scent slowly fades within a few hours.

173 23,546
 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
I just ordered some 1911. Thanks for your review. Biggrin

10 173
 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Knowing you're a connoisseur of my favorite splash, I'll ask for a comparison: how does the healing/skin care compare to Floid Blue?

10 1,858
 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-15-2013, 06:47 AM)Songwind Wrote: Knowing you're a connoisseur of my favorite splash, I'll ask for a comparison: how does the healing/skin care compare to Floid Blue?

While they both perform differently and both have their uniqueness, if I'm stranded on a desert island, my after shave will be blue.

173 23,546
 01-15-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 07:58 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 06:47 AM)Songwind Wrote: Knowing you're a connoisseur of my favorite splash, I'll ask for a comparison: how does the healing/skin care compare to Floid Blue?

While they both perform differently and both have their uniqueness, if I'm stranded on a desert island, my after shave will be blue.

I can't believe that even needed to be said.

129 6,685
 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I love the 1911 AS....but unlike you, I did feel like the balm left a greasy feeling. I tend to already have oily skin though, so that may be the difference.
I offered the balm to my dad, he immediately liked the scent, haven't asked how he liked it after using it though

So far I've been very impressed with every product I've gotten from this manufacturer (since I'm blaming the balm problem on my skin, not on the product)

oh, p.s.
I agree: great scents, but not overpowering. They last a little while, but not excessively long....though I've never thought to time it lol

10 411
 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(01-15-2013, 10:02 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 07:58 AM)Johnny Wrote:

I can't believe that even needed to be said.

I'll have to part ways with you here, gents. Wm. Neumann AS has much better healing properties than Floid and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. Now if your opinion has a more legendary basis, then I'll bend - a bit. Tongue

35 2,703
 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
I will use Neumann AS over Floid every day of the week. I do really like the scent of Floid Blue but I like a few of the Neumann scents better. The healing properties of the Neumann are much better for my skin.

10 173
 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
A few months ago, I would've been surprised to hear these last couple of comments......but now that I think about it, I haven't reached for my Floid Blue in quite a while. As a matter of fact, the only thing I reach for more often then my Neumann 1911 is the Neumann Lime & Mint Rum Biggrin

10 411
 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
I guess I'm in the minority. For me the aftershaves (admittedly just tried briefly as samples) were weak, short-acting, and unimpressive. I tried 4 or 5 of them and just didn't like them at all.

184 12,003
 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
User Info
Thanks for the tip on this one Johnny. It's fantastic stuff. Thumbup

2 58