11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have listened to my customers and have brought Klar Kabinett Soap back.

The Klar company has been making soap in Heidelberg, Germany since 1840. Kabinett soap is a so-called barbers soap that comes packaged as two huge 250 gram sticks for a total of 500g (1.1 pounds) of soap. This soap produces an amazing lather...thick, rich and slick with a mild rose scent. Although it is a vegetable based soap, you will swear that it is tallow based.

The soap is malleable and can be molded to the container of your choosing with a little elbow grease. Conversely, you can also use it as a huge shave stick.

Product of Germany

500g

45 16,278
 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Everyone should try this soap. For the price and cost per shave, this is the best soap available today. Mild rose scent, very gentle on your face, a pleasure to use. Over a pound of soap for 20 bucks!

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
the rose scent is mild...not offensive to my sensitive skin...I cut it to fit a 3" mug, trim off the corners, and wedge `em into the sides, works just fine. good shave, nice winter soap. don't find it drying at all. Thanks, Phil !

0 1,291
 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
User Info
Thumbsup Kudus to Phil! But...

Ummm, mild scent !!?? Maybe I bought some that was extremely fresh those many months ago (not from Phil, he didn't have any), but it almost made me give it failing marks when I tested it. You can still read the comparitive review here. But I do admit my nose is sensitive, and I'm aware of that. I also knew that performance and scent are 2 very different things.

I did give it time to age, both in the tub I put it into and then shredded in the tub that it would eventually reside in (to speed the aging since it was working), and it became quite good. The price/performance ratio is excellent! It's an absolutely fantastic performing soap.

Today I actually like it and after the initial introduction to the scent I never thought I would write that. My point is, it's a great soap, but for a sensitive nose, it might need some aging. Hey, we have our noses and we know the tricks, right? A month shredded might not be too much for sensitive noses, but trust me it's worth it.

It's among the very best performing shave soaps, period. (of course that's my opinion!)

32 6,308
 11-13-2012, 11:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What is the best method to store the soap you are not using? I've heard ice box, freezer, and basement. What say you all?

173 23,488
 11-14-2012, 02:10 AM
User Info
I store my soap with the Ikea "GRUNDTAL" stainless steel boxes...

[Image: P1030466.jpg]

[Image: P1030486.jpg]

But hey, I didn't bought the whole soap. We did a small "group-buy", and divided a soap among 4 friends at the Portuguese forum.
This is a really hard soap, like the triple-milled ones, but it is possible to squeeze it into a box - alternatively, you can mill it.

2 5,527
 11-14-2012, 05:24 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That' good news Phil this is one I will have to pick up from you. It's a good one to buy and break up into different containers among friends and family.

45 3,955
 11-14-2012, 07:09 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-13-2012, 11:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: What is the best method to store the soap you are not using? I've heard ice box, freezer, and basement. What say you all?

This soap you can store forever in the ziplock bag and nothing will happen.

88 4,233
 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM
User Info
(11-14-2012, 07:09 AM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-13-2012, 11:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: What is the best method to store the soap you are not using? I've heard ice box, freezer, and basement. What say you all?

What is the longest period of time you stored this soap for and used recently? Is it still OK?
The manufacturer says it is good for 9 months after opening and my experience with soft soaps (Vitos) tells me they go bad in a year or so.

7 358
 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
(11-14-2012, 02:10 AM)oversaturn Wrote: I store my soap with the Ikea "GRUNDTAL" stainless steel boxes...

[Image: P1030466.jpg]

[Image: P1030486.jpg]

But hey, I didn't bought the whole soap. We did a small "group-buy", and divided a soap among 4 friends at the Portuguese forum.
This is a really hard soap, like the triple-milled ones, but it is possible to squeeze it into a box - alternatively, you can mill it.
This is a bit off topic but, how do you get the label to stay in the top of the IKEA containers? I see guys putting the labels under the top but I can't figure out how to do it without tape.

10 173
 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-14-2012, 08:09 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 07:09 AM)beartrap Wrote:

What is the longest period of time you stored this soap for and used recently? Is it still OK?
The manufacturer says it is good for 9 months after opening and my experience with soft soaps (Vitos) tells me they go bad in a year or so.

This soap is not like Vitos, it is much harder. I had half of my brick for over a year and it's like new. I don't see it going bad in the next 10 years.

88 4,233
 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
(11-14-2012, 08:37 AM)J_Rock Wrote: This is a bit off topic but, how do you get the label to stay in the top of the IKEA containers? I see guys putting the labels under the top but I can't figure out how to do it without tape.

Well... actually I use a little piece of adhesive tape, yes. Blush
The top is transparent. So, the trick is to glue them with a little piece of tape, with the printed image (or the original package of the soap) facing out.

(11-14-2012, 08:47 AM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 08:09 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 07:09 AM)beartrap Wrote: This soap you can store forever in the ziplock bag and nothing will happen.

This soap is not like Vitos, it is much harder. I had half of my brick for over a year and it's like new. I don't see it going bad in the next 10 years.

I agree, this soap is quite hard, like a triple-milled soap.

2 5,527
 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
for Klar bars...what I use....they don't list "measurements", just "capacity"..I picked out some that seemed like a useful size, at the grocery store.
http://www.locknlockplace.com/food-conta...ic/page-2/
lots of different sizes to suit different needs...scroll around a few pages to find a "size" you want, or look `em up at the supermarket...one of the smaller ones would be good...locking covers with silicon sealing rings. I just keep it in the Den closet, no extra cool storage seems needed. the smallest lock&locks work for keeping a day's worth of pipe tobacco for taking in the car, keeps it from drying out alot better than a pouch, though not as "pretty" as one.

(11-13-2012, 09:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Thumbsup Kudus to Phil! But...

Ummm, mild scent !!?? Maybe I bought some that was extremely fresh those many months ago (not from Phil, he didn't have any), but it almost made me give it failing marks when I tested it. You can still read the comparitive review here. But I do admit my nose is sensitive, and I'm aware of that. I also knew that performance and scent are 2 very different things.

I did give it time to age, both in the tub I put it into and then shredded in the tub that it would eventually reside in (to speed the aging since it was working), and it became quite good. The price/performance ratio is excellent! It's an absolutely fantastic performing soap.

Today I actually like it and after the initial introduction to the scent I never thought I would write that. My point is, it's a great soap, but for a sensitive nose, it might need some aging. Hey, we have our noses and we know the tricks, right? A month shredded might not be too much for sensitive noses, but trust me it's worth it.

It's among the very best performing shave soaps, period. (of course that's my opinion!)
I guess, mild in "USE" I should have stated...you're correct about some scent "potency" out of the wrapper. concur wholeheartedly about shaving with it. It is one of the gentlest, most irritation-free soaps I have ever used. any lingering scent after shaving is all but undectable after a while. I never thought I'd ever warm up to a rose scented soap or cream, but Kabinett changed my mind after using it. Rose oil has been in use for a very long time because it, like lavender, soothes irritated skin. (YMMV)

0 1,291