11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
You can follow the link below for more information and ordering:
Monarch Super Silvertip

“The Monarch” in Super Silvertip

Just got home and the brush was waiting for me, couldn't wait to give it a bath and a test lather. This is just my first impression, the real test will be tomorrow morning when I shave.

"the ARRIVAL" images:
[Image: PK3jCh.jpg] [Image: 0FO2Mh.jpg] [Image: hBGjlh.jpg] [Image: CGbjch.jpg] [Image: dx6Rjh.jpg]

The brush looked good! Smaller than expected even though I knew the dimensions before ordering but it still seemed smaller, especially the handle. I have never tried any of Kent brushes, so can't compare, but this design might take some time getting used to.

"the LATHER" images
[Image: LeANQh.jpg] [Image: habqZh.jpg]

Thinking of how to describe the knot, I came up with nothing smart, so I will be talking about the "feeling".
Immediately after touching the hair you notice how soft it is, just "painting" dry brush on your palm feels nice, not prickly with a touch of scritch. What really had me concerned was the backbone, it felt like there was none. My initial plan was to palm lather it with some cream, but due to this new discovery, I've decided to go for semi-soft soap to see how the brush will handle it. Haslinger coconut was on deck and the brush performed like a champ, ate through the puck with very little effort, was fully loaded in 15-20 seconds.
While palm lathering the brush lost about 10 hairs, unusual but I don't expect it to happen after it is fully broken in.

"the BLOOM" images
[Image: hBmh7h.jpg] [Image: hrEiRh.jpg]

"the COMPARISON" images
[Image: dOSS0h.jpg]

Left to rigth:
Semogue SOC 2-band, Simpsons Colonel X2L Best, WSP Monarch Super Silvertip, Simpsons Chubby 2 Best

Like I said, real test will be tomorrow morning, I hope to share more results.

Stay tuned...

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM
User Info
I'm definitely tuned in even though I'll be ordering this one soon.

Great pictures & I look forward to hearing what you think. So after thinking it had little backbone were you surprised at how quickly it loaded the Haslinger?

31 7,914
 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-13-2012, 07:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'm definitely tuned in even though I'll be ordering this one soon.

Great pictures & I look forward to hearing what you think. So after thinking it had little backbone were you surprised at how quickly it loaded the Haslinger?

Yes, I was surprised actually. The brush is packed with hair but not too dense, so luck of backbone would be a deal breaker. So far it looks great, I will try it with some hard soaps as well.
Forgot to mention that the "stripes" in the handle make it very classy. Made in China or not, it is a quality product.

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
(11-13-2012, 07:40 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-13-2012, 07:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'm definitely tuned in even though I'll be ordering this one soon.

Yes, I was surprised actually. The brush is packed with hair but not too dense, so luck of backbone would be a deal breaker. So far it looks great, I will try it with some hard soaps as well.
Forgot to mention that the "stripes" in the handle make it very classy. Made in China or not, it is a quality product.

Completely agreed.

31 7,914
 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Lee have started a cult , let me tell you...
So , you feel that your brush lacks backbone? Interesting. Mine has excellent backbone for its loft and for being a silvertip.

86 7,123
 11-13-2012, 08:10 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-13-2012, 07:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: Lee have started a cult , let me tell you...
So , you feel that your brush lacks backbone? Interesting. Mine has excellent backbone for its loft and for being a silvertip.

Did prototype you've tested have the same dimensions?
I don't have that many brushes to compare the backbone to. The Colonel is close but the loft feels shorter.

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM
User Info
(11-13-2012, 07:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: Lee have started a cult , let me tell you...

I agree 100% Teiste. In a world full of "crap" coming from China at low prices, I try not to buy anything made there if I can avoid it. But like the iphone, these brushes are in a class of their own. There are nothing but great reviews on the WSP brushes so far and I expect more very soon, including my thoughts. A two band monarch just arrived today, pictures and reviews soon.

63 2,128
 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I wish I could have ordered 2-band as well, but with anniversary brush that is all for a long while.

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
Steve, thanks for the quick review and looking forward to tomorrow's review. Good luck and enjoy.

75 20,883
 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-13-2012, 08:10 PM)beartrap Wrote:

Did prototype you've tested have the same dimensions?
I don't have that many brushes to compare the backbone to. The Colonel is close but the loft feels shorter.

I have the brush , I mean , the one that WSP released a week and a half ago.Mine has around 56 mm loft , I could tell.

86 7,123
 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
"the SHAVE" images
[Image: kw18Sh.jpg] [Image: ZTXCe.jpg]

The shave was divine! Pun intended (for the soap of course) Biggrin I actually enjoy I Coloniali and was in the mood for it this morning. But you are not reading it for the soap...

The brush performed great! It was surprising and joyful. Loaded effortlessly and felt really soft and luxurious on the face.
CONS:
1. I cannot get used to the handle, it just feels awkward to me, I will give it more time until my Shavemac arrives to see if I change my mind.
2. It keeps loosing hair, I was hoping it's over with when I palm lathered yesterday but today it lost even more hairs. I will let it dry, comb it through and see how it improves after a week.

88 4,233
 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM
User Info
Steve, very nice pictures. I'm glad the brush made a good lather for you. Handle comfort is an important yet definitely personal aspect of brushes. I love the Monarch handle but couldn't comfortably use the Prince handle.

I hate to hear about the shedding, but I've also heard this can be common for a fairly dense brush. My 2-band Monarch has only lost 5 hairs so far (4 on first palm/test lather, and 1 during 1st shave). Hopefully it will cease well before the shavemac arrives.

Just curious, but how are you holding the brush? Are you wrapping your fingers around the neck?

31 7,914
 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-14-2012, 10:20 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Steve, very nice pictures. I'm glad the brush made a good lather for you. Handle comfort is an important yet definitely personal aspect of brushes. I love the Monarch handle but couldn't comfortably use the Prince handle.

I hate to hear about the shedding, but I've also heard this can be common for a fairly dense brush. My 2-band Monarch has only lost 5 hairs so far (4 on first palm/test lather, and 1 during 1st shave). Hopefully it will cease well before the shavemac arrives.

Just curious, but how are you holding the brush? Are you wrapping your fingers around the neck?

Yes. I have tried sticking it in my palm and holding the fat part but this is even more uncomfortable.

88 4,233
 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM
User Info
(11-14-2012, 10:24 AM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 10:20 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Steve, very nice pictures. I'm glad the brush made a good lather for you. Handle comfort is an important yet definitely personal aspect of brushes. I love the Monarch handle but couldn't comfortably use the Prince handle.

Yes. I have tried sticking it in my palm and holding the fat part but this is even more uncomfortable.

Hmm, too bad. That's the most comfortable way for me to hold any handle. I'd definitely not like holding it by the neck though.

31 7,914
 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-14-2012, 11:07 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 10:24 AM)beartrap Wrote:

Hmm, too bad. That's the most comfortable way for me to hold any handle. I'd definitely not like holding it by the neck though.

Brian, post some pics of your hold please.

88 4,233
 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
User Info
Sure thing!

This grip is what I use with almost every brush.
[Image: null-12.jpg]

[Image: null-11.jpg]

This grip is ok, but not very comfortable for me.
[Image: null-10.jpg]

31 7,914
 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks! I will try again. I thought my hands were to big for that hold but yours don't look that small Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
No pics today. The agenda was to try new grips on the handle that Brian and Lee shared with me. Still not all the way there but I am getting to like grip #1 and #4 HERE
Good news, after drying the brush I combed it thoroughly, this morning it only lost 1 hair. Hoping this is it and it's not a shedder.
More update tomorrow...

88 4,233
 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
I hope it's still improving Steve. I received my Super Silvertip yesterday and used it this morning. Lee has made quite a few impressive brushes here. Thumbup

31 7,914
 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I haven't used it in the last few days. I am using other brushes to see what I don't like anymore to sell Biggrin

88 4,233