11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I need to know... Why use the stick-on that won't make it a year on the brush. It can't be the money saving thing, it can't be the convenient thing. What is it???
I hope Mark will stop by here and explain if no one knows.

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM
User Info
From what I have read, the "Vulfix era" stickers are much improved from the old type that fell off once wet. I have never had a sticker come off of any of my Simpson's, but I also am very gentle with all of mine and try not to ever soak the handle.

I thought the same thing about Plisson. A $400.00 brush with a freakin' sticker on it!?
At least Simpson brushes come engraved with the brush information as well.

63 2,128
 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM
User Info
BT, I think the reason folks have trouble with the decals is due to soaking the brush, handle and all. Decals transfer by wetting them. Then they are applied and allowed to dry. I see no reason that soaking an entire Simpson brush won't loosen the decal.

FWIW, I have only one Simpson with a missing or worn decal, and the decal is completely gone from the brush. But I bought it that way; it's my Commodore x1. I also never soak my handles and have never understood the need to do so. I also make sure I hold the brush so that in use the decal is never under my fingers when building lather. But if it was, the brush is never under any real finger stress if used properly, so I'm probably good even if my fingers are on the decal. I still don't do it though. I also have lots of time for my shave. If I was in a hurry when I shaved my decals might be worn or missing. I also wouldn't use such aggressive razors, and I wouldn't demand a BBS. But I'm moving off of topic now. I'm meticulous, as I was told by someone training me for a job, I know not everyone is or has time to be.

I've been meaning to contact Mark to see if I could get a new decal for that Commodore, because I actually like the decal. It's much more ornate than a stamping. Maybe some day.

32 6,308
 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
They sell their stickers directly on Simpsons website for £1 if I am not mistaken.

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
User Info
Thanks! I'll need to check.

32 6,308
 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Found it:
http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi...prod_STICK

They should include 2 stickers with every new brush like you get extra buttons with your shirt Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
User Info
A printed on decal doesn't last that long either. No other way to get the gold background.

9 2,988
 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
User Info
I had a few issues with the older stickers where they would turn a green and the ends would curl.

These new ones are pretty good. I had a few brushes which had crumpled stickers from the factory, while Mark has sent me some new ones, I've left one to see how long it would last and it's still stuck solid.

The only think that I don't like is some of the black print isn't the strongest and get look a bit faded.

Overall though, they have improved and I think these new stickers will last a good while and stay looking decent on a brush.

7 1,179
 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
User Info
On a side note, the brushes look very classy without the sticker too. I do prefer the sticker on though.

63 2,128
 11-14-2012, 01:24 AM
User Info
I think I'll apply clear nail polish when I get mine.

0 193
 11-14-2012, 01:34 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I've had no problem with the sticker on my Duke 3 which is about a month old now.
From what I heard the stickers have improved alot. Some sort of water resistant layer is placed over the sticker.

5 447
 11-14-2012, 01:36 AM
User Info
Mark will actually send you a replacement sticker without having to order one, just pm or email him.

And don't do the nail polish, its easier just to get a new sticker.

For what its worth, my stickers are fine, and the only one showing wear is my Duke with the older stickers, its still intact, just showing age.

0 652
 11-14-2012, 02:12 AM
User Info
These new stickers don't need any nail polish. You will potentially ruin your brush if the nail polish goes on heavy. They glue on them is very strong compared to early Vulfix stickers.

7 1,179
 11-14-2012, 02:34 AM
User Info
The new stickers are almost bomb proof Wink

You would need to steam them off or take a chisel to them. I have a pretty good collection of brushes as you would imagine and I am yet to lose a sticker of the new variety.

The stickers are part of the history and look great imho.

I'm sure you'll agree that Plisson & New Forest brushes have a sticker along the same kind of lines.

What do they say about the best form of flattery? ... Smile

1 630
 11-14-2012, 03:03 AM
User Info
Unfortunately my new eagle pure was not bomb proof Smile

It came off on day one.

4 365
 11-14-2012, 03:47 AM
User Info
I'd agree with Mark. I had a few that were either bent or crinkled. It did feel like I was chiseling them off with my nail!

Some good glue on them these days and the gold is more metallic compared to the older ones which looks brilliant.

7 1,179
 11-14-2012, 04:47 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(11-14-2012, 02:34 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: The stickers are part of the history and look great imho.

It depends. While some of my Simpsons (Chubby 1, Colonel, 55) have very nice golden stickers it is not so with others. I like the smaller Simpsons, and I know, that it is difficult to find a free space to attach the stickers properly on these tiny brushes. The Wee Scot has no sticker for a reason.

Have a look at my two Dukes, one in best, the other one in pure, both in size 1.
The Best still has the sticker, but look how poorly this is looking. It came so, with the only difference, that the sticker was golden, while now parts have turned into a nice looking green. The sticker on the pure was attached even more lousy, so I removed it immediately. Does Simpson have something related to a kind of QC?

[Image: 2nkpgll.jpg]

[Image: 2h4l1sx.jpg]

And this is the sticker of my Berkeley. Don't know, what chemical reaction happened, but the gold turned into a nice green, giving it some sort of patina. Looks like copper acetate.

[Image: es1501.jpg]

[Image: t8m29s.jpg]

0 229
 11-14-2012, 05:09 AM
User Info
They look like the older stickers. The newer ones are totally different.

7 1,179
 11-14-2012, 05:14 AM
User Info
My Duke 3 sticker still looks pretty strong, although a little curled at the edges (but that is being a little picky).

[Image: P1060662.jpg]

However, the ink of the numbers faded and went away. I'm planning to re-paint the numbers myself with an appropriate ink in the near future.

2 5,527
 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Bought those brushes a year or two ago.

0 229