11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I continue to buy, sell and trade...like many others here do. So far, for "non-Chubby" Simpsons, these are 4 that I can highly recommend.

From left to right: 22mm Colonel Ehsan 2 Band, 24mm Duke 3 Super 2 Band Butterscotch, 26mm Simpson 59 2 Band and a 28mm Simfix Carnane 2 Band.

All four of these brushes have ample backbone, soft tips and each one feels incredibly good in the hand - although each of the four certainly have a different "feel" about them. I'm a soap using/face lather guy and each of these should be on your "to try" list at some point. I have 5 Chubbys currently - but without question - you don't have to have a Simpson Chubby to have an excellent Simpson Brush.

29 466
 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for sharing those are all really good looking brushes. I love all of the butterscotch Dukes.

45 3,955
 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
I have turned into a face lathering soap guy, I am way jealous of your brushes. For me the most attainable one would be a Duke 3- although I own 0 chubby brushes as well...

12 648
 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I love that Duke 3 in butterscotch!

88 4,233
 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Those are serious brushes there , Samjax.I do like the Simfix handle.
Which one has the softest tips ,which one has the more firm backbone and which ones has more balance flow/backbone and soft tips?

86 7,123
 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I face lathered with all 4 this morning...a few times, with Cella.

The Duke 3 two band and the Simfix two band are so very close - that the Simfix could actually be referred to as a Duke 4 (or 5). Even the handles are very similar - except of course for the difference in size.

Both have a "medium" backbone with very soft tips and the slightest hint of scritch that sometimes you feel and at other times you don't. I'm sure they're not using the exact same hair - but one would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Both have excellent flow - both are exceptionally well balanced - both would make a wonderful "desert island" brush.

There is nothing that I don't like about these two brushes - the Duke 3 is literally - a smaller version of the Simfix Carnane...or, the Simfix is literally, a larger version of the Duke 3 two band super.

The Simpson 59 two band feels a bit different. To me, the 59 has slightly more backbone and perhaps, slightly softer tips than the Duke or the Simfix. Once again, the hair on these are all so close, that one is hard pressed to tell the difference, except of course for the knot sizes. Flow on the 59 is incredibly good and I'm not sure, at least for face lathering and soaps, what could be improved.

The 59 is a 26mm knot, that for many people, will be a bit more manageable than the 28mm Simfix - with that said, all of these brushes handle wonderfully. Once again, this brush would make an incredible "desert island" brush - no downside to this one either.

The Ehsan has been reviewed here before, so I won't add a whole lot - except to say that for a small brush - I'm not for sure if Simpson makes anything better - or anyone else for that matter. It's a small brush - but has a surprising amount of backbone - with softness, good splay and flow - that, if you like smaller brushes, will certainly keep you happy. The Ehsan is perhaps a smaller version of the 59 - handles are a bit similar - although the 59, to me, feels better and more substantial all-around. I also compared all of these today with a Chubby 1 in Best - the Chubby 1, while a good brush, was easily outpaced by all four of the others - the Chubby had more total density - but due to its small size and much "poorer" flow, I placed it 5th in this particular contest.

I believe you get to a point with these sort of things - that you're pretty much at the top of the food chain - the differences thus become very subtle and truly one of personal preference - as all of these brushes are really "that good". It's great fun to test them, play around, etc..., but if someone forced me to choose the Simfix, the 59 or the Duke 3 and I had to use just one, I could certainly get by without complaint.

29 466
 11-15-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
(11-15-2012, 09:06 AM)Samjax Wrote: Both have a "medium" backbone with very soft tips and the slightest hint of scritch that sometimes you feel and at other times you don't. I'm sure they're not using the exact same hair - but one would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Both have excellent flow - both are exceptionally well balanced - both would make a wonderful "desert island" brush.

What hair does the Simfix use? Or what is it described as?

All I know about them is that Simpson made a limited run a while back and they look gorgeous.

9 2,988
 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
To the best of my knowledge, the Simfix is a 2 Band Super.

29 466
 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM
User Info
Wow, those are beautiful brushes!

75 20,883
 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
That is some very nice looking knots, the butterscotch is wonderful. Nice verynice.

11 235
 11-16-2012, 06:18 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Great post. Great brushes.

The Duke 3 two band is, without a second thought, solidly in my Top 5.

Your line up is excellent. Add a Chubby 3 two band and it's complete IMHO.

47 1,378
 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I agree with you MaxP on the Chubby 3 two band. I currently own two Chubby 3s, one in Best and another in Super; two totally different brushes. A 2 Band would certainly be sweet.

Since I posted this a few days ago - I have sold 2 of my 5 Chubbys - leaving me the pair of Chubby 3s and a Chubby 2 in Super. I'm guessing once I acquire the Chubby 3 in 2 Band, the other two will probably have to go.

29 466