11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I'm a little upset, this is the second injector I've had that this has happened to. I think I threw away the first one because I bent it up so badly trying to fix it. When I inject a blade, it doesn't sit properly in the head and one side is above the blade stop that is suppose to hold the blade in place. The edge of the blade also appears to be pushed out a little farther on one side of the head than the other. I've cleaned it well and run pipe cleaners through it, there is nothing blocking the blade. Does anyone know what I can do to try and fix it properly this time? This model, the G4 I think, looks like it can disassemble if I swing the bottom of the head out, but I'm unsure and don't want to break anything.

Here's pics to try and help you out understanding what I mean.
One side of the head. See how the blade is above the little stopped on on safety guard.
[Image: BXt8cl.jpg]

Other side becomes unaligned easily too
[Image: 9uSt3l.jpg]

Blade is crooked in general
[Image: RysJkl.jpg]

35 1,732
 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Is the blade slanted?

116 3,804
 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Anthony, I have the same problem with my E-1 sometimes but not always. I wonder if the blade injector, rather than the razor itself, is at fault.

2 11,211
 11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I have noticed when I try to use a Personna blade injector or a vintage Personna I get some blade misalignment as well.

116 3,804
 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What blade and blade injector are you using. If I try to inject anything other than Schick blades in mine it will sometimes do that.

173 23,546
 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I'm using some Chinese Schicks I picked up today.

35 1,732
 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Are you sure the injector feeder bar went in straight and all the way in?

173 23,546
 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
edited since last post:...looked at your pics some more... manufacturing slop causing the misalgnment or may have gotten misaligned from a hard drop or being forced in it's past ? (gillettes have their share of sloppy tolerance, too) can you get a blade to align "sometimes" or is this a constant thing ? may be bent or out-of-spec beyond fixing, if either the base and clamp being bent or "bent that way" when being mfr'd is what the problem is. looks like the front edge doesn't line up with the flat of the base that the blade sits on. in other words, the blade does not appear to be sittting flat on the base for it's entire (edge-to-spine) width. something is either angling the blade "upwards" or the front of the base is angled away "downwards". the blade-edge should never be in contact with the little corner nibs, or it would dull the edge when the blade was being seated. never saw anything like this one before. The straight-on pic looks like the clamp is lifted somewhat higher on one side than the other in relation to the top of the blade. my "N"'s base has a tiny bit of side-to-side play, came that way "new". but always seats a blade correctly. and it's hardly the model for precision manufacturing. that could be showing a misaligned base. Look at how tight the guide bar slot-opening looks on one side compared to the other side. it should be opened up a bit on the feed side to admit the guide bar, but there may be a hint of misalignment showing there in relation to side-to side comparison....maybe a past owner tried to open the slot up a bit ? the blade-spine sits away from the back of the base loosely on the feed side, and is hard up against the back of the base on the other side. ignore the chewed up feed side nib...they get mangled during the bending. same on my razor. I just lightly dressed off the sharp edge on the nib with a diamond-stick. nothing to do with the alignment issue in question. Is the injector feed bar straight ? does the base/clamp seem misaligned when there is NO blade in the razor ? out of spec blades from a manufacturer other than schick ? (no, I mean when they were made HERE) Smile

0 1,291
 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Anthony, that has happened to me when i tried one. Maybe you can get yourself a Cobra as that problem doesn't arise with it. Hee hee. Good luck to you my friend.

75 20,883
 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(11-14-2012, 03:12 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: manufacturing slop causing the misalgnment or may have gotten misaligned from a hard drop or being forced in it's past ? once the blade is started into the razor, the razor itself should be aligning the blade to seat it properly. can you get a blade to align "sometimes" or is this a constant thing ? may be bent or out-of-spec beyond fixing, if either the base and clamp being bent or "bent that way" when being mfr'd is what the problem is. looks like the front edge doesn't line up with the flat of the base that the blade sits on. never saw anything like this one before. my "N"'s base has a tiny bit of side-to-side play, came that way "new". but always seats a blade correctly. and it's hardly the model for precision manufacturing. the straight-on pic looks like the clamp is higher on one side than the other side. that could be showing a misaligned base. does it seem misaligned when there is NO blade in the razor ? out of spec blades from a manufacturer other than schick ? (no, I mean when they were made HERE) Smile

This is the first blade I've out in this razor. Without a blade it doesn't appear to be misaligned. I wasn't until I put a blade in that anything started to look out of place. I'll need to take another look at it tonight when I get home.

35 1,732
 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
(11-14-2012, 03:35 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 03:12 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: manufacturing slop causing the misalgnment or may have gotten misaligned from a hard drop or being forced in it's past ? once the blade is started into the razor, the razor itself should be aligning the blade to seat it properly. can you get a blade to align "sometimes" or is this a constant thing ? may be bent or out-of-spec beyond fixing, if either the base and clamp being bent or "bent that way" when being mfr'd is what the problem is. looks like the front edge doesn't line up with the flat of the base that the blade sits on. never saw anything like this one before. my "N"'s base has a tiny bit of side-to-side play, came that way "new". but always seats a blade correctly. and it's hardly the model for precision manufacturing. the straight-on pic looks like the clamp is higher on one side than the other side. that could be showing a misaligned base. does it seem misaligned when there is NO blade in the razor ? out of spec blades from a manufacturer other than schick ? (no, I mean when they were made HERE) Smile

This is the first blade I've out in this razor. Without a blade it doesn't appear to be misaligned. I wasn't until I put a blade in that anything started to look out of place. I'll need to take another look at it tonight when I get home.
scoped out your pics a bit more....edited my original post. long-winded answer. scope out your injector bar for straightness on the chance the bar itself is crooked. my schick is not the most precise piece of mfr'g I have ever seen, but I bought it new, and have never had any issues with it. Good luck.

0 1,291
 11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Well, I looked at the razor some more, and it is indeed bent, question is.. is it fixable?

[Image: XIMf5l.jpg]

35 1,732
 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
(11-14-2012, 08:58 PM)Tonality Wrote: Well, I looked at the razor some more, and it is indeed bent, question is.. is it fixable?

[Image: XIMf5l.jpg]

You might try to straighten it, and make it better than it is now, but it might just result in bending it in places that you don't want bent. tough call. I personally always mangle anything I try to "fix",
may depend on what tools you have at your disposal, and if you could actually straighten out where it actually needs bending without inducing any bending elsewhere. looks like a lost cause to me, YMMV. maybe you could get it better than it is now. could you shave with it when you are done ? harder to say.

0 1,291
 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Yeah I'm thinking it might be a lost cause too, which is really disappointing, I was looking forward to this razor. I may as well try to do something, its not like I can't break what's already broken.

35 1,732
 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
that's what I was thinking. take it slow. easier to bend a little more than go back after bending it too much. keep looking around...alot of these guys were made...you may find one in better shape if the SE bug has bitten ! now you at least know what to look for when you check out another one ?

0 1,291
 11-17-2012, 03:48 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
So... I think I fixed it! Just some careful bending and everything seems to have aligned properly and the blade sits flat.

35 1,732