11-14-2012, 05:09 PM
User Info
Best soaps and creams for the cold?

I don't have enough, I just realized, after applying some Proraso Green to my face & getting chilly.

What's most recommended in this department?

I've Tabac, of course, in both SS and SC, the former a better performer, the latter better perfumed (stronger [I like Tabac's scent]).

I've Old Spice, by India's Shulton; I haven't used the Original or the Musk recently, as I love the Fresh Lime. Hopefully the Classic will be good, as I remember loathing the Musk.

Sandalwood. I've Proraso, C&E and maybe a few others.

I know I'm lacking Bay Rum.

But what else do I need? I was highly impressed by Spencer & Devon's "Spice," but then equally disappointed by the cream's sloppy consistency.

What's warm and wintery?

0 257
 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
User Info
DRH Marlborough or Almond

2 694
 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I pretty much use all of my soaps and creams year round. I love a good Proraso Green shave followed up with a splash of Floid Blue just before I go outside to shovel snow. It helps to wake you up on those cold mornings.

It won't do much for you scent wise, but to me MWF is hard to beat in the winter.

173 23,297
 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
got balm ? you mentioned bay rum...if you live where it's cold, balm can be nice in the winter, even if not every day....(Gilbert Henry bay rum balm). After using MWF, I find any balm is too much of a good thing. MWF by itself keeps the skin soft and moisturized, if you like how it shaves for you. Klar Kabinett is non-drying and a favorite cold weather soap for me. I also like Gold Dachs. I like cream and use it mostly in milder weather, switching to a shaving soap after about mid-October here in the northeast. in general, find soaps less drying than creams.

0 1,291
 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
I use lime, citrus & menthol creams in the summer and lavender, almond, woody & unscented creams in the winter.

But some times mix it up a bit Biggrin

21 4,816
 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
User Info
I tend to stay away from lighter citrus, mint and such in the winter. But I have been known to use menthol and very hot water for the yin/yang effect.

I also tend to the heavier scents, bay rum, tabac, almond croaps, pretty much if it isn't a light scent I think it's better for the winter. But I have no rules carved into stone.

If you need a great Bay Rum scent Krissys (Prarie Creations) Tallow and Rum "Spiced Rum" will knock your socks off! I've been known to open it just to smell it.

It's also a good time for the soaps with a high superfatted content. Those are generally the high end soaps that leave the skin feeling good after the shave before adding a moisturizer.

32 6,304
 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
This is my first year of traditional shaving but I have definitely been turned off by floral, mentholated and citrus based soaps/creams. I am enjoying traditional Italian soaps (almond, coconut) and woody, earthy scented soaps (sandlewood, vetiver).

121 2,270
 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM
User Info
I'll start with one that I've not seen mentioned yet; Dr. Dittmar.

Others that have already been said include the Italian almonds like P.160, Vito's, & Cella. TABAC, MWF, & Mike's Naturals round it out for me.

31 7,892
 11-14-2012, 10:25 PM
User Info
If I can jump in here who makes a Cella type scent that's maybe stronger smelling? Love Cella but I do enjoy a scent punch. I'll give a big thumbs up on the Tabac good for dry winter skin.

2 805
 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM
User Info
Patrick, check with the folks who sell Cella. Get some freshly manufactured croap and I guarantee, it'll be strong enough for you. I had a difficult tolerating it, and I barely did.

The stuff I got from Italian Barber required me to age it before I could easily tolerate it. Now, MANY months later, for me, it's quite pleasant, for you I have no doubt it would be too mild. Not casting anything... I admittedly have a sensitive nose.

32 6,304
 11-15-2012, 02:28 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
I'll recommend two creams, Acca Kappa and The Body Shops Maca Root. Both leave the face heavily moisturized and protected against the elements.

3 68
 11-15-2012, 05:48 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
D.R. Marlborough

45 3,955
 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
+1 on the maca root cream. Really good stuff. Found a nice little bay rum soap in a shop at Amana, IA. The maker is online at http://www.cindylousoaps.com.

0 98
 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM
User Info
With the exception of limes or menthol any of my soaps seem acceptable.

0 36
 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Kaveh, this is my opinion - Dr Dittmar soap or Golddachs Spezial soap are great winter latherers. Both are from Germany. They are not cheap, but they're both very worth their prices. Wink

3 2,548
 11-25-2012, 06:10 AM
User Info
I'd recommend:
Mike's Pine & Cedarwood
Mike's Bay Rum
DR Harris Almond

0 433