11-15-2012, 07:58 AM
User Info
Over on the other forum there is a thread regarding the new Astra SP packaging. Apparently they are going to get rid of the outer printed paper wrapper and keep the waxed paper.

Now this is good since it is less waste, but there is something else that I see in that picture. I can see that wax spots were placed in the middle of the blade, very much like Feather blades.

I do not have the new packaging yet and was wondering if any of you got their hands on one. If you don't mind, would you be so kind and confirm that.

It could also be that I am dreaming, not enough coffee, or just wishful thinking.

Here is the picture (left is the old, right is the new):

[Image: astraplatinum.jpg]

7 358
 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I like the new packaging. Less waste and I think you are correct in seeing the wax in the middle rather than in corners near the edge. Wax on Astra SP blades is about as much a topic as Arko, LOL. I don't like the wax anywhere on the blade and many manufacturers seem to do fine without it, but it also doesn't bother me all that much. I just rinse the new blade under hot water for a few seconds and whatever is left after that I really don't think about. I am not sure the wax that sometimes makes it to the edge of the blade (I've seen that on Astras) is interfering with shaving. It's just a bit of wax, after all. Still, my Super Max SP have no wax and neither do Personna Super (med/lab) and they are fine blades. I also got my hands on some NOS Dorco ST300 and they are very nice waxless super-smooth, but not super sharp (not a bad thing with a Progress on 3) blade. Sharks are also waxless and cheap. Hopefully Astra moved the dots to the center and the whole wax topic will die down a bit. Would be nice. I may order me a 100 of them.

25 1,705
 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
User Info
I sure wish they would go light on the wax as well. In the picture it looks like those spots in the middle are where the outer wrap is "glued" to itself. Who knows what the actual blade will have on it. Let's hope for no wax!

63 2,128
 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
The change in wax location is an improvement but I still dont' think it's necessary at all. As far as the paper wrapper goes, I'd much prefer that they keep it. The amount of paper used in a years worth of blades is insignificant.

0 836
 11-16-2012, 03:18 AM
User Info
I do not like where the wax is on the old blades, maybe this will be better. Thanks for the post.

11 235
 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(11-15-2012, 09:30 PM)5Savages Wrote: The change in wax location is an improvement but I still dont' think it's necessary at all. As far as the paper wrapper goes, I'd much prefer that they keep it. The amount of paper used in a years worth of blades is insignificant.

Well, I think the paper adds up if you individually wrap each one and sell billions of them. I am sure someone who actually know how much savings is to be had advised Gillette on this. I am not against saving cost on such a meaningless thing as a wrapper. Astra SP is one of the best values in DE blades out there, so whatever the manufacturer needs to cut costs without compromising the actual blade is fine with me. I would think they'd save even more if they skipped the wax, but what do I know? The wax may keep blades from dulling themselves in transit by moving around the wrapper and interacting with it at the shaving edge. So many blades are packaged without the wax and are fine that I am really not sure why Gillette insists on using the wax. But, as I said before, the wax is just not that big a deal for me. I think Astras do tend to have too much of it, but still, not a big deal. Great blade that works really well for extremely low price ($10/100). Not much to complain about there regardless of how many layers of wrapper they use or how they keep the blade in the wrapper.

25 1,705
 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
(11-16-2012, 08:17 AM)vferdman Wrote:
(11-15-2012, 09:30 PM)5Savages Wrote: The change in wax location is an improvement but I still dont' think it's necessary at all. As far as the paper wrapper goes, I'd much prefer that they keep it. The amount of paper used in a years worth of blades is insignificant.

Well, I think the paper adds up if you individually wrap each one and sell billions of them. I am sure someone who actually know how much savings is to be had advised Gillette on this. I am not against saving cost on such a meaningless thing as a wrapper. Astra SP is one of the best values in DE blades out there, so whatever the manufacturer needs to cut costs without compromising the actual blade is fine with me. I would think they'd save even more if they skipped the wax, but what do I know? The wax may keep blades from dulling themselves in transit by moving around the wrapper and interacting with it at the shaving edge. So many blades are packaged without the wax and are fine that I am really not sure why Gillette insists on using the wax. But, as I said before, the wax is just not that big a deal for me. I think Astras do tend to have too much of it, but still, not a big deal. Great blade that works really well for extremely low price ($10/100). Not much to complain about there regardless of how many layers of wrapper they use or how they keep the blade in the wrapper.

I'm not quite sure what all that has to do with my preferences. I simply stated that I'd prefer to have the paper wrapper stay on there, then you went off on costs and savings and value and wax and paper wrapper advisors. Since you quoted my post I'm assuming you are directing this at me.

I simply stated a preference. I don't see anything that I wrote that appears to be complaining. My statement about the paper savings being insignificant was directed to the ecological aspects of the change, not the financial. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

This cost savings discussion reminds me of the story of American Airlines move to save $40,000/year by removing a single olive from each salad

0 836
 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
As long as they didn't change the actual blade. I liked the paper wrapper too but not a big deal otherwise it is nice to have the wax on the center and away from the blade edge. Astra are one of my go to blades and a great value.

2 507
 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(11-16-2012, 09:53 AM)5Savages Wrote: I'm not quite sure what all that has to do with my preferences. I simply stated that I'd prefer to have the paper wrapper stay on there, then you went off on costs and savings and value and wax and paper wrapper advisors. Since you quoted my post I'm assuming you are directing this at me.

I simply stated a preference. I don't see anything that I wrote that appears to be complaining. My statement about the paper savings being insignificant was directed to the ecological aspects of the change, not the financial. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

This cost savings discussion reminds me of the story of American Airlines move to save $40,000/year by removing a single olive from each salad

Sorry, I didn't mean to pick on you. Just seems the paper or wax on a blade that is good and inexpensive is really irrelevant. That paper wrapper goes in the garbage, so if you prefer to throw away paper that's certainly your right. I just wanted to point out that the manufacturer is probably cost cutting to keep the price low and that's fine with me. Less packaging without compromising product is always a good thing no matter how much it saves. Just in principle. Sorry to have rubbed you the wrong way.

25 1,705
 11-17-2012, 08:57 AM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
Verba Volant,

Thanks for the update. I just bought 100 pack old Astra SP which will last for a couple of years. Wax is indeed annoying. The blade got stuck to the doors of my new Feather Popular and probably the sharp edges got damaged. Cannot say about other TTOs since this Feather is the only one I have, but it makes sense to place the blade into a TTO razor with the wax spots down.

1 90
 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM
User Info
Same problem here HUF, not only with Popular but SuperSpeeds as well. Quite a pain to clean a TTO after using Astra.

7 358
 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Running whatever has the wax on it (blade or razor after using said blade) under real hot water for a few seconds usually gets rid of most of it. The melting point of the wax is close to what most home water heaters are set to. Try it. I still agree wax is annoying, especially too much of it like on Russian made Gillette (Astras, 7 O'clock yellow SharpEdge, 7 O'clock blue). If you really can't deal with the wax try Super Max Super Platinum. Almost as sharp as Feather, smoother than Feather and costs only a little more than Astra. Awesome blade and no wax at all.

25 1,705
 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info

It may be insignificant to you as a consumer, but likely adds up to a lot for the manufacturer. With the cost of everything going up dramatically nowadays, it looks like an attempt to hold price increases to a minimum.

0 303
 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
Yes! Less wax on astras!

4 32
 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM
User Info
(11-17-2012, 04:30 PM)Tbone Wrote:

It may be insignificant to you as a consumer, but likely adds up to a lot for the manufacturer. With the cost of everything going up dramatically nowadays, it looks like an attempt to hold price increases to a minimum.

I don't dispute that a bit, but it doesn't change my preference. As I stated before, my comment about it being insignificant referred to the ecological aspects of the change, not the financial. Perhaps if holding down price increases is important to them, they could quit using wax too.

0 836