11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
User Info
It's probably a big no and commen sense tells me that one shouldn't because its pointless, but I know better than to assume and god knows I love asking questions. Should I and can a shavette be stopped? Does it benifit the replacinle blades if I do strop them?

0 40
 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
User Info
Yes you can. Yes it will prolong the blade. But why would you?

9 2,988
 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
User Info
My hair grows in at an odd angles so the sharper the blade the better.

0 40
 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
User Info
Well, the practical problem with stropping a shavette is they have no spine, so no guide. It's impractical to do so. But if you can overcome that, you can eek out a few more shaves with one.

Why not just throw the blade away is my question. Cost of a strop would buy you a year's supply. In my estimation.

9 2,988
 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
When I started shaving with SE razors, I read about drying them off after use and stropping them to prolong the life of each blade. Problem is, prolonging the life doesn't mean getting the blade sharper, and I don't know if it's really feasible to get a factory-fresh blade 'sharper' anyhow.

If you REALLY want the blade at its sharpest for each shave, then replace the blade each shave. Before I ventured into straights, I was going through a new Pella blade each shave, since the 1st shave with the blade was the only time I could get ATG without any irritation. I don't know if you'd benefit from stropping the blade before use since it's already "finished" at the factory when it was made. Besides, that kind of defeats the 'idea' or intention of the disposable blade designed to be free of maintenance like stropping because you just chuck it after it's done.

12 83
 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I have seen threads on various forums about palm stropping (also forearm stropping) double edge blades. Not everyone believes it's helpful and for those who do it's about getting a smoother shave, not a sharper blade. I believe there must be a video, you could search for "palm stopping de blades".

0 62
 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
Yeah I'll look that up and I havnt tried stroping my astray yet it was just a thought and it does seem pointless. Anyways I think I'll venture another straight razor shave tomarrow and tryin out some different techniques.

0 40
 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM
User Info
Yes it can be stropped but I doubt the results will be worth the effort.

0 500