11-15-2012, 10:42 PM
User Info
The WSP line of brushes have been getting a lot of attention here at the Nook, and for good reason. This line of shaving brushes offers a quality unrivaled by any other brush made in China. As we all know, Lee sought out to produce a brush that looked great, performed even better and offered a hair quality second to none. I think it is safe to say he has accomplished all three. Congratulations Lee! We have had a few of our fine members review this brush already, so although this is nothing new, I wanted to offer my take on this particular brush. Before I share my thoughts, let me tell you a few things about my preferences in a shaving brush, that way you can see things thru my bias eyes...

I love big brushes! There aren't many brushes under the 27/50mm mark in my den. My two smaller brushes include my Simpson Tulip 2 and my Vulfix 2233. I photographed these along with the WSP Monarch for a more similar size comparison.

I hate scritch, did I mention I hate scritch? I have a very sensitive face and any hint of prickle quickly gets my attention.

Believe it or not, I also don't normally care for a two band brush. I sold the last of my two band brushes not too long ago and was left with a den full of three band Super badgers. Three band Super is what I love and it is what my face really prefers, especially in a big fat Chubby 3!

Still, this brush called to me. I just had to try this new two band on the block to see what all the fuss was about. Gentlemen, below are my thoughts.

Unboxing:
The packaging is superb, very Simpson-esk if I may. The sturdy box encasing a well wrapped brush and a thank you card is a welcome sight upon receipt.

The handle:
Can you say gorgeous? A lathe turned and perfectly polished product is what you get. No step was skipped in the quality control for this baby. The grain pattern looks lovely on the Kent like design, which is more than I can say for how I feel about this pattern on the Rooney line of brushes. I really don't care for the grained Rooney or LE Simpson Chubby handle. But this one... Wow!

The Knot:
Creamy white tips over a jet black band of generously packed two band super badger. Yessir, these tips are really soft both dry and wet with just a hint of scritch on the face. Remember, I am super sensitive to even a trace of scritch or scratch so don't look too much into it. It's not enough to keep even me from loving the super white tips. Speaking of the tips, I can't find hardly any stray black hairs in this knot. The hand sorting must be very stringent in order to achieve this. The backbone is perfect for a two band. Just enough give without any amount of flop whatsoever. It is not uber dense, but not sparse either. What turns me off about most two bands is the wall of hair that has no give to it, no splay at all (now you probably see why I only own three band brushes). Not this one, although it does lack any real bloom, it has excellent splay on the face, and the flow thru is phenominal. I wouldn't ask for any more or any less hair packed in this knot. It's spot on.

Overall:
The quality of the Monarch really is something! It sits right up there with Simpson and Rooney which I feel are some of the best brushes you will ever own. From the stellar packaging to the simple and elegant WSP logo, Lee has created something really special here. If you haven't put a WSP shaving brush on your short list of "must try" brushes, now is the time. Head over to http://wetshavingproducts.com/ and take a peek around the website. There are more than a few brushes to choose from, including the Monarch two band Super badger. These brushes are a welcome sight as a true competitor to the big name brush makers out there.

Here are some pictures to feast your brush loving eyes upon. The comparison pictures include front and top views of...

Simpson Tulip 2 three band Super Badger 22.5/49.1mm
WSP Monarch two band Super Badger 22.6/50.4mm
Vulfix 2233 three band Super Badger 18.6/49.8mm

PS: Sorry the pictures uploaded in reverse order. [/color]

Attached Files Image(s)

63 2,128
 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review and pictures.

173 23,500
 11-15-2012, 11:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the review , cessnabird.

I do agree with your review.We are many who truly like the WSP brushes , and this The Monarch two band is another fine example of how good these brushes are.

Let me tell you , Lee have started another brush cult...

86 7,123
 11-16-2012, 04:16 AM
User Info
Well done cessnabird! Your thoughts mirror my own & now I can truly understand how sensitive your face is if you feel any scritch in this brush. I'm glad it's not enough to turn you off on it. I especially enjoyed your pictures of the Monarch alongside the T2 & 2233. I don't notice any trepidation from the Monarch being in such close company to those storied brushes.

31 7,912
 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
I have a feeling these brushes are going to gain more and more popularity in the near future. Now, the three band Silvertip is looking kind of nice! :-)

63 2,128
 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
(11-16-2012, 04:53 PM)cessnabird Wrote: I have a feeling these brushes are going to gain more and more popularity in the near future. Now, the three band Silvertip is looking kind of nice! :-)

LOL, that's what happened to me. I have both the Monarch 3-band & the black badger on their way to me now. Blush

31 7,912
 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM
User Info
(11-16-2012, 05:03 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-16-2012, 04:53 PM)cessnabird Wrote: I have a feeling these brushes are going to gain more and more popularity in the near future. Now, the three band Silvertip is looking kind of nice! :-)

LOL, that's what happened to me. I have both the Monarch 3-band & the black badger on their way to me now. Blush

It is a never ending cycle! Biggrin Please share pics and words once you get them in.

63 2,128
 11-17-2012, 10:28 PM
User Info
Another great shave with the WSP monarch two band. This time around I lathered some Nancy Boy signature and ended up with a nice dfs.

Once again, this brush has phenominal flow thru and has more backbone than it seems like it should for it's size and knot. I dipped the tips in the tub and went to town using both circular and paint brush strokes. I feel that I get the best lather (with any brush) using circular strokes. I paid extra attention to the face feel tonight. I felt less perceived scritch than the last shave. I would say it was at max a 1 on a 1-10 scale of scritch. The tips are soft yet resiliant. This brush seems to be a great match for the Nancy Boy cream, the lather whipped up in a jiffy and was thick, slick and protective. Hats off to another good experience with the two band monarch.

Attached Files Image(s)

63 2,128