11-16-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
So many people love ARKO, and so many people hate ARKO.

What is the big deal with this stuff? Is it a must try soap?

27 139
 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
It is super cheap. It works very well. If you like it you have just hit a 2 dollar gold mine. If you don't you just spent 2 dollars. I may be the only person in shaving that neither loves nor hates Arko.

12 648
 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
User Info
I find that it's top-, top-notch - decidedly superior to the better-regarded Palmolive Stick.

The lather's A+, the scent Middle Eastern.

[Image: ?size=l]

0 257
 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I like Arko. It's cheap & lathers extremely well. The scent is where some draw the line. I enjoy the lemony citrus scent when it's first opened, but not everyone does. Within a week or two the citrus is pretty much gone and what is left is a nice clean soap smell - sort of like Ivory soap.

It can be used by rubbing the stick directly on your wet face, then lathered up with a brush, or it can be smooshed up in a bowl or mug & lathered up that way.

Try it! You're only out a few bucks. Watch the Swap & Shop for deals, or sometimes they get PIF'd (that's how I got my first).

~Frank

18 271
 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
If you just want to give it a sniff without spending any money on a stick, go to a dive of a bar, go to the men's room and sniff the urinal cake. There you go. Dodgy

129 6,685
 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I'm in the middle - I don't love it and I don't hate it. For the few dollars that it costs its worth a try next time you place an order.

2 501
 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-16-2012, 11:08 AM)vuk Wrote: I'm in the middle - I don't love it and I don't hate it. For the few dollars that it costs its worth a try next time you place an order.

+1

I find it makes great lather, the scent is neutral with me, never really got the urinal cake references, if anything it's more like lemon Pledge. I don't use it often and have PIF'd away most of the case I purchased about a year ago.
I kept 4-5 stick and those will most likely last me forever and I doubt I will buy more, not because I don't like it but because I have tons of other stuff I enjoy more.

31 1,510
 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
24 The middle eastern "Williams" thread. ROTFLMAO!

24 Urinal puck! 24 Gotta love it. Williams all over again! Not picking on anyone, I just think it's hilarious. Yes, I understand the comparison too, and I like ARKO for what it is.

If you never experience ARKO it's no big deal, same as experiencing Williams. As a soap it's good. Not in among the best, and definitely not in the rarified air of the best of the best. What it is is a really good performing soap with no frills. It's probably the best bang for the buck of any soap on the planet at this time (bought in bulk if that's still an option on Amazon). Think of it as "Blue collar" soap. Nothing wrong with that... solid performer, no frills.

It'll perform in water where other soaps won't. It's a good solid performer, but if scent is a huge factor in your soap (it has the scent of citronella) you might not like it. It also has no "skin kindness" in it. It leaves that for you to handle by other means. But for under $2 how much do you expect?

Generally I have quite a lot of it on hand for the shavepocalypse since it's so inexpensive and performs so nicely. Plus it's cost effective for PIFs since anyone can make good lather with it no matter what they have for water.

32 6,309
 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-16-2012, 10:43 AM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: I find that it's top-, top-notch - decidedly superior to the better-regarded Palmolive Stick.

The lather's A+, the scent Middle Eastern.

[Image: ?size=l]

See the smile on the guys face? How can you not try a soap that makes someone that happy?

0 62
 11-16-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
For me it's foolproof. I just can't miss with it; it's astonishing every time. And I love the scent. Risk the two bucks.

9 166
 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM
User Info
(11-16-2012, 09:16 PM)middlesmith Wrote: For me it's foolproof. I just can't miss with it; it's astonishing every time. And I love the scent. Risk the two bucks.

Well-stated!

The Arko/Williams comparison's one with which I've a problem.

They're both inexpensive, both have inexplicable scents, but that's really where it ends.

Williams is not a top performer while Arko is.

And if you don't like it, you can send it to me Wink

0 257
 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The soap that you love to hate...

86 7,123
 11-17-2012, 04:16 AM
User Info
The only thing you will miss is having your nose hairs shriveled. Sisi1

15 75
 11-17-2012, 04:17 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I'll take a vote for Arko as well.. It is in my top five - eight soaps and certainly in the top three sticks.

I love the scent. Lathers easy. Some sticks leave a layer of soaop on my face that doesn't lather and ends up clogging the razor.. Seems Arko doesn't do this as much and it doesn't dry my skin between passes as quickly as other soaps.. For the price, give it a try and find out for yourself. If you don't like just PIF it..

33 914
 11-17-2012, 04:18 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Arko's a great latherer. I use it to destink brushes as well. Work up a good lather and let it sit on the brush for a bit and the odor is dissipated. I don't like the scent of Arko from the stick (if that makes sense) but if you grate it and let it sit in an open bowl, then the smell becomes less intense.

116 3,804
 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM
User Info
A must-try. Just unwrap it and air it out.

47 1,270
 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM
User Info
(11-16-2012, 10:29 AM)ndwolfe81 Wrote: So many people love ARKO, and so many people hate ARKO.

What is the big deal with this stuff? Is it a must try soap?

Arko is a no-frills, soap-smelling, cheap, and effective soap that has a nostalgic label.

With Williams degrading their formula and others such as Colgate discontinuing their soap, Arko has become really the only one of its kind left.

It's sort of a novelty. You'll probably enjoy it for a while if you're into nostalgia and then want to return to scented soaps.

0 282
 11-17-2012, 07:36 AM
User Info
I taught a few people to wetshave and this is the product I always use. It is foolproof to facelather with and teaches what good dense hydrated lather should feel and look like. Always.. when the guys switch to traditional puck soaps the first thing they say is it does not lather as well. Arko lather gives them a benchmark and target to shoot for when using other soaps. Great lather is the key to a great shave, no matter what the hardware, and Arko can show you what that is fairly quickly.

2 697
 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
The reason it's compared to Williams is because of the scent, both are citronella"y", and both are incredibly inexpensive. True too, ARKO lathers much better for most folks.

32 6,309
 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Well, I'm just going to have to get me some Williams, just to see for myself!

~Frank

ps - Don't tell Arko Man!

18 271