11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Merkur recently came out with a new model travel razor where the handle looks similar to a Futur. It looks very cool and breaks down into 4 pieces and fits in a travel case. But because it only weighs 17 grams I think that its not all metal even so it says chrome plated. Chrome plated over what? My guess is chrome plated over plastic similar to chrome bumpers on cars which is a much cheaper way of making them. However, they are relatively strong so in a razor it presents no problem.

100 12,442
 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
That is a picture of the older model...Royal Shave has this new model and it is all metal...the case is just beautiful and the whole set up is about $21.00 over the original model....very high quality leather and a 10 pac of blades. Standard Merkur threading so you can change the head if you like.Fits almost everything but the Weber because it is a bit too large to clear the ridges. Trust me the case is top notch!!!(I have one)CoolSmile

6 1,913
 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(11-16-2012, 11:09 AM)Harvey Wrote: That is a picture of the older model...Royal Shave has this new model and it is all metal...the case is just beautiful and the whole set up is about $21.00 over the original model....very high quality leather and a 10 pac of blades. Standard Merkur threading so you can change the head if you like.Fits almost everything but the Weber because it is a bit too large to clear the ridges. Trust me the case is top notch!!!(I have one)CoolSmile
I inserted the correct picture. Yes the price is much higher then the original travel razor but I still say its chromed over plastic. The original weighed more then 17 grams.

100 12,442
 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have both of these and the handle is 3 inches long vs 2 1/2 ...removing the head the handles feel about the same weight maybe are alloy but to me besides the look it is the case set up that is so cool ..very classy and all leather..check out the picture at ROYAL Shave.Cool(I think the weight is the same ..maybe a typing error)

6 1,913