11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
I have recently come to the conclusion that the R41 is now my favorite razor, thanks to the Rapira Super Stainless blades. I've tried the R41 with my prior goto, Personna Labs/Meds and the shave is not as good. In contrast, my old favorite R89 didn't like the Rapiras as much as it did the Personnas. But I'm sticking with the R41/Rapira combo for the forseeable future.

Here's the question. I know nothing about these blades, other than they also come in 3 other varieties. Being the nutter that I am, I feel I must explore these other varieties further. If the SS's were good, are the Platinum or Swedes even better?
Will you guys please educate me on the Rapira Blade varieties, as well as share your opinions and experience with them, and also the best place to buy?

Thanks!

4 253
 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I have a couple hundred of the Swedish Super Steels, I find they're good but I rarely find myself using them, preferring Astra SP and Polisilver SI's instead. I've never tried the Platinum Lux or regular Stainless. While not technically Rapira, I think the same company makes Ladas and Voskhod as well. The only easy Rapira to find the is basic stainless and those can be found at Italian Barber, Bestshave and eBay. The Platinum Lux and Swedes..along with Voskhod and Ladas are harder to find but are on Ebay from time to time. Not many of our beloved vendors will touch them thanks to the whole underselling debacle a while back, where the main distributor got impatient and started selling his entire stock, undercutting vendors that had previously bought from him in the process. The vendors liquidated their stocks for little to no profit just to wash their hands of the whole mess.

31 1,510
 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The Rapira Platinum's are one of my go to blades. They were good enough for me to purchase a hundred and I've only done that with two other kinds. To me they are sharp but very smooth.

45 3,955
 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-17-2012, 06:01 PM)Arcadies Wrote: The vendors liquidated their stocks for little to no profit just to wash their hands of the whole mess.

We did indeed! <sigh>

45 16,313
 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM
User Info
I wasn't aware of any of the crazy vendor/wholesaler issues going on with the blades. I did just go back and read a little on it. But that sucks now I guess for guys like me just discovering them. Lets please not spark any back and forth over that issue, as its in the past, and dredging it up helps no one. But instead I'd really appreciate some more info on where to get the different varieties, and how they compare with each other. And... I guess if the other blades from the same Russian company compare as guys seem to talk about them comparatively as well.

4 253
 11-18-2012, 01:46 AM
User Info
(11-17-2012, 09:42 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: I wasn't aware of any of the crazy vendor/wholesaler issues going on with the blades.

Yeah, but that drama is between certain vendors and the wholesaler. Since it does not involve us, we can let them hash it out. We consumers just want to get great shaves at a great price, and Mostochlegmash makes these blades, and perhaps others:

Rapira Stainless
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Rapira Platinum Lux
Voskhod
Ladas

Only the last four are shown on the Mostochlegmash website, however.

There is additional info in this thread. Bestshave.net sells what look to be Rapira super stainless blades. Searching for 'rapira swedish supersteel' and 'rapira swedish supersteel' on eBay will bring up sellers for those blades. The Balalaika Store even has a sampler pack. The Shave Den forum store also sells the Voskhod blades.

Hope this helps!

0 303
 11-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-17-2012, 09:42 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: But instead I'd really appreciate some more info on where to get the different varieties, and how they compare with each other.

Well, you can buy them directly from the wholesaler...this was our main issue.

Call the office and ask for Lana (917)402-4440

Svetlana-lana84@mail.ru

45 16,313
 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM
User Info
Thank you guys!

Like TBone said about the vendor issue, it's not something us regular shavers need be concerned with. The only reason I asked that we not discuss it was because, as is often the case, someone says something or asks about it, then the whole thread gets stuck on that rather than staying on topic. Thanks for understanding Smile

Phil, thanks for the email. I think that may be a last resort kinda option. Plus, I dont do huge quantities like some, and to be honest I'm not entirely comfortable with that option. But I do appreciate it.

I like the Super Stainless type, and want to try a few of the others. I think I'll post a WTB first and see what happens. But if anyone reading this is interested in selling, I want to try the: Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Rapira Platinum Lux and the Voskhod. Don't count that as my WTB, just a heads up Biggrin

Thanks guys for all your help!

4 253
 11-18-2012, 11:54 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-18-2012, 10:34 AM)CyberJCM Wrote: Thank you guys!

Like TBone said about the vendor issue, it's not something us regular shavers need be concerned with. The only reason I asked that we not discuss it was because, as is often the case, someone says something or asks about it, then the whole thread gets stuck on that rather than staying on topic. Thanks for understanding Smile

My apologies, I was just giving a quick rundown as to why they're impossible to find on our favorite vendors.

Like I said I have about 230 or so Swedish Stainless and 50-60 each Voskhod and Ladas. If you'd like I can mail you out a pack of each to try out, if so just shoot me your address via PM.

31 1,510
 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
Thank you Byron! What an awesome gesture!

4 253