11-18-2012, 06:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I work very early in the AM so I usually shave as late as I can the night before. (I post my SOTD's as if I were shaving that specific day after though.)

Yesterday, I shaved a bit earlier than usual and then I went out to get the mail while there was still a bit of daylight left. In our Pocono PA development, as with most of the developments out here, we have a central mail house. Ours has over 800 mail boxes!

I was walking down a small flight of stairs after I got the mail and someone called to me, "hey man, that's a close shave".

I turned and saw a younger gentleman with the most amazingly long, well groomed beard. It stood out even more because of his reddish hair and his almost completely shaven scalp. I was kind of taken aback by the compliment because no one,not even my wife, seems to notice my shaves and this one was especially close and irritation free.

Anyway, we got into a short conversation and he mentioned that he sometimes does "competitive bearding". I had never heard of this until recently when I saw an advertisement for an IFC Channel reality show about the bearding competitions.
He said that he is so in tune with not shaving and facial hair that he had to comment on my lack of growth!!!

He went on to mention that one of the reasons that he initially grew a beard was because he had so much trouble shaving, always getting irritation and razor bumps, etc.
I asked if he had ever tried DE/SE or Straight shaving and he said no. I proceeded to tell him about what I usually do and about TSN and the other online communities. He was into the information and said that if he'd found this a few years ago, he probably wouldn't have grown the beard nor made the few thousand dollars that came with the competitions. Biggrin He mentioned that it was not likely that he'd shave for quite a while but if he did, he'd look us up.

I must say that his beard is amazing. At least 12-15 inches long and completely straight and well groomed. He must use some kind of oil or wax/pomade to keep it groomed like that. I should have asked him about it. I just always think of the band ZZ Top when I see men with longer beards. I'm sure that's from watching too much MTV as a teenager. Rolleyes

It was an interesting experience and I appreciated the nice compliment. I was glad to gain some insight into something that I likely never would have known much about.

Now, in the future, I just have to plan my get the mail trips for the same time that the lovely, young woman two houses down goes for her mail. What the heck; I'll bet that she likes guys with long beards. Huh Wink

Eric

6 905
 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
What a whimsical recount. Thanks for sharing. And I do agree. Very odd indeed.

Just goes to show you people , with certain passions, pay attention.

I've had guys look at my Panerai, the way my car was waxed , camera lenses and pen.

I could tell they shared a passion.

0 193
 11-18-2012, 07:06 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Fantastic Eric!
Thank you for sharing your *close encounter* Biggrin

9 1,684
 11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
Interesting read. Thanks!

32 6,311
 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
Eric, great anecdote! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 11-19-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
Learned something today...never knew of "competitive bearding".

2 697
 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
I do believe your last paragraph merits some consideration. Just a thought. Cool

2 546
 11-25-2012, 03:06 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Dan, I didn't either until I saw the IFC commercial mentioning it and then met this guy for some actual proof.

Everything is competitive today. If they have competitive hot dog eating contests....why not bearding?! Huh

I suppose that I'm waiting for competitive wet shaving contests with electron microscopy determining the cleanest/closest shave winner. Biggrin

And Bob, I have indeed changed my mail retrieval habits, albeit still clean shaven but very sadly, to no avail. Tongue

(11-19-2012, 04:09 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Learned something today...never knew of "competitive bearding".

6 905
 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
(11-19-2012, 04:09 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Learned something today...never knew of "competitive bearding".

http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

0 13