11-18-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
Glycerine soap made with pure essential oils. This just came up on the radar. I've seen Lynn Abrams' YouTube video on making lather with it. I've scanned the forums for reviews. Found a few. Seems like a good product. I haven't used it. What say you?

24 1,150
 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I need to turn my radar on. I wonder who makes it for them?

173 23,484
 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-18-2012, 08:37 AM)Johnny Wrote: I need to turn my radar on. I wonder who makes it for them?

We can guess, not many to choose from. It is priced right but it's glycerin based Confused

88 4,233
 11-18-2012, 10:49 AM
User Info
Gary, as far as glycerine soaps go, SRD is top of the class. This is truly a labor of love on Abram's part. They lather like crazy, but it's the scents that really make them. The scents are well-considered and satisfying. That said, I personally still prefer triple-milled soaps, and I reach for them 99 times out of 100. SRD soaps offer a fun break from generally stodgy hard soap scents.

--Glenn

1 49
 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
Good glycerin based soap. Don't like it though.

9 2,988
 11-19-2012, 05:13 AM
User Info
(11-18-2012, 12:22 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Good glycerin based soap. Don't like it though.

Lee, are you saying you just don't care for glycerin soaps in general, or just SRD for some reason? Can you provide details of your experiences with SRD that struck you as either good or bad that led you to not care for it? I'm thirsty for knowledge at this point, and am hoping you can help me out please.Smile

24 1,150
 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM
User Info
(11-19-2012, 05:13 AM)brothers Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 12:22 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Good glycerin based soap. Don't like it though.

Lee, are you saying you just don't care for glycerin soaps in general, or just SRD for some reason? Can you provide details of your experiences with SRD that struck you as either good or bad that led you to not care for it? I'm thirsty for knowledge at this point, and am hoping you can help me out please.Smile

At first, I thought it was just the SRD soap. But then I tried other glycerin soap such as EJ. And then, I realized that I just hate glycerin soap. All IMO and according to my own preferences.

The chief reason being that it doesn't have any slickness compared to some other soaps. It also doesn't seem to have much cushion either. If I were to describe it, I would say that glycerin soap is basically just a bunch of foam on my face.

Loads better than canned goo, don't get me wrong. And the SRD stuff is better than the EJ junk.

However, being the king of glycerin soaps still puts the soap on the bottom of my soap totem pole.

I'm sure DE users like it. And I know a bunch of other straight razor users love the stuff. It does smell great and it is easy to lather. And I think it lasts forever. But, I just can't get behind it because I don't like how it performs.

I like my lather thin and slick. DR Harris is perfect for me. MdC, TFS, and the older GFT are all great in my book. Also TOBS cream works for me. Oh, and Haslinger. I like Haslinger.

But I don't like glycerin soap. Just my opinion, you probably need to try it if you don't like the same stuff I do.

9 2,988
 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
User Info
I have only tried the Sandalwood scented soap from SRD, it smells very good, different from other sandalwood scents I tried, but still very good. Good cushion and glide for a single pass, because no matter for how long you load your brush with it, you can only get a single coating of lather, I don't know why, at least in my case. YMMV

10 605
 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
User Info
If you like the performance of glycerin based soaps, then SRD's are well worth trying. The scents are top-notch and performance is good. I generally prefer triple-milled soaps or Italian-type soft soaps, but had no problem getting nice shaves from SRD soaps. My favorite was a Rose Otto they did for awhile. However, due to the cost of the rose oil it was ridiculously expensive for a glycerin-based soap. I don't believe they offer it anymore, but the others I have tried have certainly be good.

33 115
 12-04-2012, 02:34 AM
  • TonyN
  • Lawrenceville, GA US
User Info
I've tried samples of the SRD Vanilla Bourbon and Opus X. I love the scent of the Opus X. Both lathered easily and were slick. Not as slick as MWF, MDC, DRH, but still a good soap IMO.

1 430
 12-04-2012, 06:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm not a glycerine fan... Sad But I'm always keen to hear about new soaps on the market.

91 17,794
 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
The Bulgarian Rose is the only SRD I've tried, an excellent and expensive soap, lathers and lubricates well and the scent is my favorite of the various rose soaps and creams. I understand though that it is no longer sold.

0 295
 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
User Info
I'm enjoying the SRD Opus X quite a lot. Eleven days of lathering on the tub now, and it's making a good impression so far. I believe it'll last through somewhere between 40 to 60 latherings, based on how much has been used so far. A boar brush needs to be loaded on the soap for a minute. The badgers need to be loaded for at least a minute and a half or more.

24 1,150