11-18-2012, 11:30 AM
User Info
Couldn't end the weekend on an odd number so I had to finish a fourth.
This faux back F.Reynolds came in last week. Truthfully I did the blade earlier but wrapped up the scales this AM. There was some going back and forth as to what material I'd use and he picked this streaked horn since I've built several others for him and he wanted some variety.
The original scales,, sort of half black horn, and half blond were toast. I kept the lead wedge though as I planned on duplicating the shape of the originals. I used streaked horn. It doesn't show exactly as it does in person, but there are some beautiful streaks of browns in addition to the black that almost gives sections a wood grain effect. The polished insides of the scales ironically are totally black. I included a pic of the slabs of horn,,,not too impressive looking is it?
The blade cleaned up nicely.
And for the finishing touch I made up some SS domed washers with brass pins. I thought the silver wedge, the polished washers, the streaks, the shine of the blade all worked well together. I also got the blade to sit just right in the scales,, and got the sweep of the scales to match the spine. It's just something I like to fuss over in some cases such as this.
Hope you like it.

0 772
 11-18-2012, 12:50 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
remarkable !!

0 1,291
 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
User Info
(11-18-2012, 12:50 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: remarkable !!

+1 Every time i see your work, Mark, i just want to start straight shaving, but i know how that would go. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 11-18-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
Wow......that looks amazing! Great work.

10 173
 11-18-2012, 03:22 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow! those scales really came out Cool

9 1,684
 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Yeah guys, isn't it something. That's why I love natural products. It'll never be repeated again. You look at the slabs and think,,,"Mehhh,,," but once you get into it, and reveal what's there it never ceases to amaze me.
Besides,, something like Micarta,, or G10, just doesn't do it for me on a 100 yr. old razor. That's why I guess I've never used them.

(11-18-2012, 02:12 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 12:50 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: remarkable !!

+1 Every time i see your work, Mark, i just want to start straight shaving, but i know how that would go. Hee hee.

Say WHAT??? OK,, now my jaw is dropping. Pal,, you really don't know what you're missing. You at least have to try it.
I don't know what you mean by "how that would go" but really ,, how many guys were doing this for how many years? Now I'm operating from a definite bias,, but this stuff is too much like FUN.
Seriously,, give it some thought,, I'll help any way I can. Besides,, they just look wickedly cool. But not as intimidating as they might seem. Go ahead, pull the trigger, you know you want to.
Mark
P.S. I"m not an enabler by any means.....

0 772
 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
User Info
Weighing in here to thank Mark for once again doing an outstanding job on a razor that sure looked like a lost cause to me. If you have a razor that you want done right then Mark is your man. I just can't wait to get it back!

6 323
 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I LIKE IT! I will like it even more when the hone wear delineates the contours fully.
And yes, I do have folks that want to have all pristine when they get their razor back. Mine usually don't get past the second to final buff before honing and use!
You do beautiful work and I enjoy seeing whenever it is shown!
Thank you!
~Richard

8 1,190
 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
User Info
Oh sure Geezer,, go ahead and kick mud all over his nice , clean, shiny new toy.

(11-18-2012, 04:49 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote: Weighing in here to thank Mark for once again doing an outstanding job on a razor that sure looked like a lost cause to me. If you have a razor that you want done right then Mark is your man. I just can't wait to get it back!

Well it's off and running. Thanks for the kudos and letting me do this piece. I had a ball and you made a good call on the scale material. Doesn't look like much in the slab,, but I knew it'd be killer.

0 772
 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Beautiful! Also, I used to be in that phonebook, lived in Whitehall and Macungie Wink.

9 408
 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM
User Info
Mark, if they ever stop printing the phone book your business is going to take a real hit. Biggrin

6 323
 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
User Info
[quote='Captain Capsize' pid='131981' dateline='1353389084']
Mark, if they ever stop printing the phone book your business is going to take a real hit. Biggrin
[/quote

Well I'll just have to find something else with small fine print. Newspapers don't count. Is there any microfilm still around?
Just tonight I used it again. Is it getting old? But the blade I rehabbed was a killer to do. I also was working on some samples of sanding vs. buffing vs. tumblers, shiny finishes vs. mirror finishes. Don't ask me why,, I just like to experiment.

And hello to biggie42! I'm sure you know my stomping grounds. And the Emmaus/Macungie area has been voted one of the top 50 places to live. Great area. Of course I'm partial to my home town. Love it here and it's fairly centrally located. 1 hr. to Philly,, 1 1/2 to NY. Heck,, half those people are moving here and commuting.

0 772
 11-21-2012, 11:36 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-18-2012, 11:30 AM)mycarver Wrote: ... And for the finishing touch I made up some SS domed washers with brass pins. I thought the silver wedge, the polished washers, the streaks, the shine of the blade all worked well together. I also got the blade to sit just right in the scales,, and got the sweep of the scales to match the spine. It's just something I like to fuss over in some cases such as this.

Simply stunning! and it's those "fuss over" details which takes your work to the next level... Clap

23 1,872
 11-21-2012, 04:10 PM
User Info
Thanks Mike,
The devil lives in the details.
The latest one I've been working on darn near drove me around the bend. The blade is done,,now on to the scales.

0 772