11-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250873.JPG?m=1353266684]

This is a very good introductory shaving brush , or a brush for those who are looking an extra plus of exfoliation.In both cases , the brush is what you're looking for.

This brush comes in the new sturdy grey cardboard box , which is another plus of elegance.

[Image: P1250874.JPG?m=1353266684]

The handle is made of wood (I think rose wood , but Im not sure) and , as you can see in the pic , is a very nice one , shiny and very comfortable to hold.Its an upgrade of the Escali/Tweezerman handles for sure.

[Image: P1250875.JPG?m=1353266682]

As I said , you can see the natural woodgrain on it , and , its kind of light too.

[Image: P1250876.JPG?m=1353266759]

The badger hair use in this brush is black badger , a kind of pure badger , which is very coarse and havent been trimmed either , like the Escali or Tweezerman pure/grey badger brushes.Since its hair is not trimmed , the brush offers some kind of scratchiness but far from the trimmed hairs like , as I said , the Escali or the Tweezerman brushes.This brush is more gentle to use on the skin than many pure/grey/black/mixed badger trimmed hair brushes.

[Image: P1250877.JPG?m=1353266761]

It also has a nice hair density , not as "bald" as other cheap pure badger brushes out there.

[Image: P1250924.JPG?m=1353266867]

Due to the coarseness of the hair and its density , it doesnt blooms that much either , so perfect for facelathering.

And , if you have tried any pure badger brush , you already know (if not , Im telling you right now) that are truly shaving soap killers , like the boar hair brushes , and makes lather in no time , both in the face or in a shaving scuttle.

This brush is no exception ,and I make lather out of triple milled shaving soaps and shaving creams in , basically , no time.With triple milled shaving soaps , this brush picks up soap so easily , and that's the key to create mountains of lather.

You can use this brush with circular movements on the face if you are looking for a very pronounced exfoliating massage , but I prefer to use it with circular strokes after making the lather on a scuttle.With circular movements the hair will feel kind of scritchy , but not something unpleasant like with some other pure badger , trimmed hair brushes.

This brush cost 22 , 99 dollars here but , it seems that there is an offer for the first 20 people who get a brush from amazon ,and it will only cost 12 , 99 dollars.You can read about that offer , here.

If you are looking for an introductory badger brush , this could be a perfect candidate.Its cheap , well made and finish it and the black hair haven't been trimmed.If you also are looking for a brush o make lather on bowl in no time , this could be also the one for you.
I prefer boar brushes most of the time , instead of pure badger ones , but I know there is people out there who truly enjoy the good exfoliating massage of a pure badger brush.If we add a good price for it , then we have a great option in this brush.

Now , Im looking forward to see a WSP boar brush !

86 7,123
 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hey Teiste, how is the face feel compared with the TSN/Semogue LE? I could imagine it being fairly similar, even though there us no boar hair.

Great review as always!

35 1,732
 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
Another fine review Teiste. I will be receiving this brush as well as the Monarch 3-band tomorrow. I am quite curious to see how it feels.

31 7,912
 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-18-2012, 12:07 PM)Tonality Wrote: Hey Teiste, how is the face feel compared with the TSN/Semogue LE? I could imagine it being fairly similar, even though there us no boar hair.

Great review as always!

This one , I would say , is a little bit scritchier than the Semogue TSN LE brush.The boar used on the TSN LE brush is top notch and splits with time , while the black badger , even when is not trimmed , it wont , so hence the difference.

86 7,123
 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Stool sounds like a nice brush if you want some good exfoliation! Especially for the price.

35 1,732
 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review Teiste. Wonderful pictures and great information indeed. Well done sir!

63 2,128
 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
Great review, Teiste!

75 20,883
 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM
User Info
Teiste, I thought you hated "Pure" badger?!

Was this somehow better than Shavemac's Pure?

0 652
 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
Teiste, did you treat this brush like a new boar by hand lathering it first a few times? If you did, then could you tell a difference?

31 7,912
 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-18-2012, 08:42 PM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Teiste, I thought you hated "Pure" badger?!

I do , but curiosity was much stronger...

Yes , its similar to shavemac's pure , but shavemac is a little bit more dense and bulb shaped.

(11-18-2012, 09:04 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Teiste, did you treat this brush like a new boar by hand lathering it first a few times? If you did, then could you tell a difference?

Yes , like I do with every brush.Yes, it got softer (the whole knot) but Im sure I have to use it more to "feel" a real difference.

86 7,123
 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
And I must admit that , for me , any good boar brush is much better than a pure badger brush However I know that some gents prefer badger brushes , of any kind of badger hair.To each its own , I guess , and Im glad that I could try them and make my mind.

86 7,123
 11-20-2012, 02:54 AM
User Info
(11-18-2012, 09:55 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 08:42 PM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Teiste, I thought you hated "Pure" badger?!

I do , but curiosity was much stronger...

Yes , its similar to shavemac's pure , but shavemac is a little bit more dense and bulb shaped.

Yes , like I do with every brush.Yes, it got softer (the whole knot) but Im sure I have to use it more to "feel" a real difference.

(11-18-2012, 10:03 PM)Teiste Wrote: And I must admit that , for me , any good boar brush is much better than a pure badger brush However I know that some gents prefer badger brushes , of any kind of badger hair.To each its own , I guess , and Im glad that I could try them and make my mind.

I thought so haha, but at least you gave it a go.

I tend to agree with your statement that a good boar is better than pure, but for whatever reason I swear by pure being the better soap brush...

Omega has some soft'ish pure brushes I want to try, but I always go home with something else whenever I'm shopping haha.

0 652
 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
I did a single face lather last night with this Black Badger brush. I certainly can feel the prickle, but the hairs flex quite a bit so it was an interesting mix of soft feeling while still have the prickle feeling. I enjoyed it on multiple days growth, but I'll have to see how it feels on subsequent passes and when lathering after only a single day of growth.

31 7,912