03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got a sample of Ogallala Bay Rum from a member here and tried it. It smelled pretty decent to me (a bit over-strong and clove-heavy), but after the alcohol sting, I noticed another burn that kept building. After 30 seconds or so I washed my face. I assumed I am sensitive to something in it.

Today, I noticed an animated smiley at Some Other Shaving Forum that was labeled "bay rum" and showed the smiley guy bursting into flames before giving the thumbs up.

So, is the burn a normal part of the bay rum experience? If so, how soon does it go away? Because if it is, and the answer isn't "really quickly," I'll just stop wasting my time trying BRs. Smile

10 1,858
 03-22-2012, 11:19 AM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Bay Rum does have alcohol in it, so it will burn, especially so if the shave was rough. It usually goes away in less than a minute unless you have an open wound. Then I'd advise against it Tongue

But yes, burn's a normal part of BR experience. If you don't like it, there's always AS balms without alcohol

0 115
 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
User Info
It depends on the bay rum. The Captains Choice that I've used in the past had a pretty potent burn initially but calmed down within a couple minutes. The one I use now is more of a warm sensation. It's not a burn at all but I can definitely feel a warming up sensation kinda like when a fire gently warms your face.

31 7,914
 03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
It all depends how much alcohol is in it.

32 6,311
 03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
It may be the cloves, too. I love splashes ( in the summer), but when I try bay rum AS it burns and itches. Cloves just do that to me, and, from what you've said, they may do it to you, as well. Luckily there are lots of great aftershaves that don't use cloves, like Lilac Vegetal!

1 189
 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'm familiar with the alcohol burn. This was a slow burn that just kept building until washed off. Alcohol tends to come on all at once and taper off.

10 1,858
 03-23-2012, 02:33 AM
User Info
You should probably give the Masters Bay Rum a go...

0 652
 03-23-2012, 03:07 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-22-2012, 09:01 AM)Songwind Wrote: So, is the burn a normal part of the bay rum experience? If so, how soon does it go away? Because if it is, and the answer isn't "really quickly," I'll just stop wasting my time trying BRs. Smile

Oh yeah, definitely normal. It will last a few seconds and leave a nice feeling afterwards.
I have to get me some BR... I need to find some space in my den for yet another splash Undecided

4 313
 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Ogallala is WITCH HAZEL not alcohol based AS. Witch Hazel is a powerful astringent that mayor may not come in a lower percentile of alcohol base. You must remember that the plant kingdom produces scents to attract pollinators and esential oils to ward off critters that want to consume them.Bay Rhum's masochistic-macho charm is in the sting, much like a strong chile pepper on your plate of mex food.Firedevil

2 3,171
 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I use witch hazel all the time, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

My guess is either the clove or cinnamon.

10 1,858
 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
I hope the burn isn't from clove. I use clove oil medicinally once in a while, but once in a while isn't every day or even frequently.

It's in the 2nd paragraph below the picture of the star anise. It deals with Methyl Eugenol. Yes, I know it mentions rodents.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/10/ff_perfume/all/1

IMO, if the bay rum is burny it's not right. Bay rum should be soothing and not heavily clovey. It should almost smell like spicey hot buttered rum. But clove oil is inexpensive and potent, bay oil isn't and more is required.

32 6,311
 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM
User Info
Ogalla I find pretty mild because oh the Witch Hazel. You have to shake it well though. If not the EO's float to the top and you can get a huge snootful if applied without shaking.

A really good Bay Rum is Superior 70. Just Bay oil and alcohol. Not a ton of longevity but a great smell.

2 697