04-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-06-2012, 11:07 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 10:59 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Today I decided to take my very first shaving brush (an Edwin Jagger Best Badger) and give it a steam bath to remove the knot, this time 50 minutes was enough to loosen the knot for easy removal Aaaaa

Tomorrow I plan to thoroughly clean the inside of the two handles I now have de-knotted and set in new knots (received today from The Golden Nib)...

Mike,great to know!

Im already making a video of it with a Vulfix 404 mixed boar/badger brush (I will use the handle to re knot a finest badger hair knot).

Hi Teiste

Not so great Sad

I had some free time this evening so I (very foolishly) decided to "thoroughly clean the inside of the two handles".

I started with the (cheap) Omega 11047 handle and experienced zero problems with getting it properly cleaned, ready for re-knotting.

Next up the Edwin Jagger handle (from my very first shaving brush), I wasn't a minute into the process when this happened Facepalm

[Image: ypKBV.jpg]

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-06-2012, 11:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-06-2012, 04:54 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 11:07 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 10:59 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Today I decided to take my very first shaving brush (an Edwin Jagger Best Badger) and give it a steam bath to remove the knot, this time 50 minutes was enough to loosen the knot for easy removal Aaaaa

Tomorrow I plan to thoroughly clean the inside of the two handles I now have de-knotted and set in new knots (received today from The Golden Nib)...

Mike,great to know!

Im already making a video of it with a Vulfix 404 mixed boar/badger brush (I will use the handle to re knot a finest badger hair knot).

Hi Teiste

Not so great Sad

I had some free time this evening so I (very foolishly) decided to "thoroughly clean the inside of the two handles".

I started with the (cheap) Omega 11047 handle and experienced zero problems with getting it properly cleaned, ready for re-knotting.

Next up the Edwin Jagger handle (from my very first shaving brush), I wasn't a minute into the process when this happened Facepalm

[Image: ypKBV.jpg]

Take care, Mike

Mike,what did you do exactly? MMM,thats weird HuhHuh
Im sorry,I have never experience something like that before.

93 7,442
 04-07-2012, 03:04 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-06-2012, 11:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: Mike,what did you do exactly? MMM,thats weird HuhHuh
Im sorry,I have never experience something like that before.

Hi Teiste

My own stupid fault...

With the Omega handle I still had a "complete internal diameter" glue (epoxy, resin) plug to remove from the inside of the handle, therefore I carefully drilled out most of the centre part, then worked out toward the walls of the brush, finally I used an "old" wood chisel and sandpaper to remove the remaining glue.

With the Edwin Jagger handle there was no "complete internal diameter" glue (epoxy, resin) plug to remove, only thing to remove was a "thinnish" wall of glue around the walls of the brush, therefore I (very foolishly) decided to skip the drill part and go at it with the "old" wood chisel and sandpaper. First bit of work with the chisel resulted in a nice piece of the glue coming out, that made me too cocky, as the next time I worked the chisel in I applied too much force... well you've seen the result.

Obviously not your fault, just my own stupid fault Facepalm

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I wish I would have known about this method before destroying a wood handle about 2 months ago. *sigh*, but now that I know it, I am going to try and use it to salvage a good knot from a bad handle.

0 253
 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
User Info
Well, I have used a modified version of this to remove a knot from a Rubberset handle in order to protect the rubber portion of the handle. The description is in the thread listed below.

http://shavenook.com/thread-rubberset-re...lack-swirl

1 2,827
 04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-07-2012, 07:16 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Well, I have used a modified version of this to remove a knot from a Rubberset handle in order to protect the rubber portion of the handle. The description is in the thread listed below.

You truly did a good job,my friend!

93 7,442
 04-08-2012, 04:25 AM
User Info
(04-07-2012, 10:52 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-07-2012, 07:16 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Well, I have used a modified version of this to remove a knot from a Rubberset handle in order to protect the rubber portion of the handle. The description is in the thread listed below.

You truly did a good job,my friend!

Thanks!

1 2,827
 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
  • Jeff
  • Stingraysrock
  • Lakeland, FL
User Info
Wowzers Batman! I am going this route on my next re-knot! Thanks Mang!

1 117
 04-09-2012, 11:15 PM
User Info
Teiste,
This way worked for two part epoxy as well.. i tried and take out about 7 knots with your method.. Now they have new handle..
Thanks so much for your excellent post.

Regards.

3 443
 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Good to hear,Melyus!
I have to finish my video,but I need a 20mm finest badger knot firstSad

93 7,442
 04-15-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
Teiste,

When I posted my Rubberset Redux over at the other forum with the tie back to this thread, you got another guy singing the praises of your method.

Here is his quote:

"I just did two old brushes using this method and 15 minutes later using a pair of gloves the knots pulled right out. Sure beats drilling and sanding. Thanks for the tip."

1 2,827
 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-15-2012, 04:15 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Teiste,

When I posted my Rubberset Redux over at the other forum with the tie back to this thread, you got another guy singing the praises of your method.

Here is his quote:

"I just did two old brushes using this method and 15 minutes later using a pair of gloves the knots pulled right out. Sure beats drilling and sanding. Thanks for the tip."
Thanks for sharing it and letting me know, Gary!

It seems that this method works in most of the cases,but in some others they could be some problems too.Im still trying to improve the method with another "variation",Ill see how it goes.

93 7,442
 04-15-2012, 04:38 PM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 04:20 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Here is his quote:

It seems that this method works in most of the cases,but in some others they could be some problems too.Im still trying to improve the method with another "variation",Ill see how it goes.

In my posting back I reminded them that I modified your method for the rubber handles to prevent them from deforming. I also used a stacked set of ceramic containers to create an air buffer between the bottom of the pot and the handle. So there may be some more ways to adjust depending on material type.

1 2,827
 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-15-2012, 04:38 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 04:20 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Here is his quote:

In my posting back I reminded them that I modified your method for the rubber handles to prevent them from deforming. I also used a stacked set of ceramic containers to create an air buffer between the bottom of the pot and the handle. So there may be some more ways to adjust depending on material type.

Thats right,Gary,thats what Im trying to find out too.Good ideas there.Thanks my friend!

93 7,442
 04-20-2012, 05:53 AM
User Info
Just a word of caution... I tried this with an Ever-Ready 200, and the green bakelite portion snapped off before the knot came out. The epoxy wasn't even soft.

I ended up removing the knot with a dremel/drill and fixing the handle with 5 minute, clear drying epoxy and it looks good as new.

Just be wary if you're doing this to older, two part brushes.

1 39
 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 05:53 AM)pezhore Wrote: Just a word of caution... I tried this with an Ever-Ready 200, and the green bakelite portion snapped off before the knot came out. The epoxy wasn't even soft.

I ended up removing the knot with a dremel/drill and fixing the handle with 5 minute, clear drying epoxy and it looks good as new.

Just be wary if you're doing this to older, two part brushes.

That is why, when I did the Rubberset with the Green Bakelite bottom, I had to use two small stackable corning ware pots to provide an air cushion so that the heat would not directly transfer from the pan through one layer of ceramic, to the handle. That would cause both the Bakelite and the rubber to deform. Also, I reduced the time by half and used a pair of pliers to pull the loosened hairs out. More work, but a safer method.

1 2,827
 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM
User Info
Good information to know.

92 21,297
 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(03-22-2012, 10:38 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Very good. I wish I had known about this method before destroying a handle with vice grips and a screwdriver.

Agreed. I've done that to a couple of my first restores. This way seems a lot cleaner and easier.

53 555
 05-10-2014, 10:37 PM
User Info
Thanks for posting this information. It was very informative.

0 129
 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
User Info
I will definitely be using this technique on future projects. I have been using a dremel which is generally very messy and easy to damage the handle. Thanks for sharing.

64 337