03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
User Info
I'm a big fan of the flowery scents and the Rose scent in particular. I'm impressed from the T&H Rose cream. Besides the scent, it produces very good quality lather for me. The T&H Rose scent is strong but natural, and it reminds me the specific scent of Rosa centifolia. I've compared it with Vulfix' Rose cream and the ShaveaBuck's Rose of Bulgaria. I didn't like the Vulfix Rose scent and quality. The Rose of Bulgaria has one of the most natural and authentic rose scents around, it makes easy lather and is good for the money but unfortunately it's not very slick and protective. I want to try the GFT and TOBS Rose versions for comparison though.
What are your thoughts about the Rose scented creams/soaps and which ones are good for you?

2 180
 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The Trumpers smells really good,the TOBS not that much.However,I like the Trumper's Rose shaving soap scent better than the cream one,which its too strong for my likes.

86 7,123
 03-22-2012, 10:28 AM
User Info
The only 2 I've used are Trumpers and DR Harris.

I thought the DRH was a lot better in terms of scent, and slightly better in terms of performance.
The DRH to me was more of natural scent, where the GFT to me smells synthetic.

1 77
 03-22-2012, 03:20 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I really enjoy Klar Kabinett, which has a very pleasant powdery rose smell. I'd rate it in my top 10 soaps, and its crazy cheap too

9 541
 03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
User Info
The only two I've tried are Trumper and T&H, and while both produce great lather, I prefer the scent of the T&H. To echo an earlier writer, I find the T&H scent more natural.

184 12,003
 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

I love rose scents, but if it's a very! strong rose scent I end up with a headache Sad

Personally I like both GEO F Trumper Rose Soft Shaving Cream and Taylor Of Old Bond Street Rose Shaving Cream. I'd say the Trumper has a slightly strong scent then the TOBS.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
You know, I love the TOBS rose. So much I rarely use it because I'm afraid of using it up.

0 353
 03-23-2012, 05:01 AM
User Info
I see the light! It looks like I have to try them all myself.

2 180
 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
I'll toss out another vote for the Klar Kabinett. I also have and enjoy the TOBs Rose Shave cream.

0 252
 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have had the GFT rose and I have Prairie Creations rose, both as creams. Both are very good and I enjoy their scents. I was given a sample of the Rose of Bulgaria and was underwhelmed in both scent and performance.

2 11,211
 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM
User Info
I have tried the Trumper's and Vulfix and between the two I prefer the Trumper's Rose for performance and scent. The Trumper's gives a better protectiveness and builds a better lather.

29 1,731
 03-23-2012, 07:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The DR Harris Rose is one of my favourite creams. The scent is welcoming and I love the vibrant pink colour (half expect my brush to stay that colour after use - but of course it never does). I keep the pink theme going by following up with the DR Harris Pink A/S and/or some Geo F Trumpers Coral skin food. This blooming good combo always leaves me feeling rosy!

I received some Vulfix Rose shave cream with a brush order this week (thanks Mark) and am looking forward to giving it a try.

91 17,851
 03-23-2012, 10:11 PM
User Info
(03-23-2012, 07:04 PM)ben74 Wrote: The DR Harris Rose is one of my favourite creams. The scent is welcoming and I love the vibrant pink colour (half expect my brush to stay that colour after use - but of course it never does). I keep the pink theme going by following up with the DR Harris Pink A/S and/or some Geo F Trumpers Coral skin food. This blooming good combo always leaves me feeling rosy!

I received some Vulfix Rose shave cream with a brush order this week (thanks Mark) and am looking forward to giving it a try.

I've ordered some D.R. Harris soap to try. Next time I'll buy their Rose cream. I liked the T&H Rose a lot but not the price. I've also got Vulfix Rose with my new Colonel LE Super (thanks to Mark), and I'm very disappointed from its scent and lather producing ability.

2 180
 03-24-2012, 03:43 AM
User Info
I can understand the comments regarding the scent on our Rose cream, it maybe a little less powerful (potent) than some. However, on lathering ability I'm scratching my head a bit?

I've used all the 'big player' creams and I can't honestly find a product that lathers as well as ours.

I guess it boils down to the individual?

The Vulfix creams have always produced a silky smooth rich lather for me and the smallest amount good for 3 - 4 passes.

Fortunately we have a fairly loyal following on the cream!!! Wink

Mark

1 630
 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
User Info
Quote:The Rose of Bulgaria has one of the most natural and authentic rose scents around

Since importing Rose of Bulgaria I have had several issues with peoples review of the product. I would like to ask as well as state, how many of these products actually have rose in them that board members fall head over heels for. Thank you for the above sentence however as the product contains natural rose.

Is the scent truly rose, or just the scent you were told it should smell like. Do any have artificial scents or perfum listed on the label. Since I do not have every one of these products I ask this sincerly, I do not honestly know.

Is rose and lavender in the product suppose to scent them, or is it for the medicinal properties they have. You are a man lets remember too. How strong a rose or lavender scent do you desire.

Sandalwood...if you ever smelled true sandalwood I doubt you would want to shave with it. You are using a doctored version to make it commercial. Aqua Lavanda which I sell like crazy because it is that good does not smell like commercial lavender at all, at least to me.

My point is this...after years of commercial and artificial scents in everything from shave cream to fabric softener I think it is difficult for people to get a handle on the true smell of any scent.

I also strongly agree with the previous statement that it is an individual thing. What works for one may not work for all. As someone who has sampled many products I have yet to find that much a difference from 25.00 creams to that of Arko as far as lathering and cushioning provided you use them correctly. Scents I have found objectionable however.

5 273
 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
Starting this thread I really had on mind putting the stress more on the scent than the difference in the latherability. It was provoked by the fact that I ended having 3 different Rose creams and was curious about the ones I hadn't tried yet. I was curious to know what members here have to say about the rose scented creams and soaps and how they rate them. I don't have much of experience with different creams and soaps in regards to quality in general. But I really am a big fan of the rose scent. I just tried today two different rose scents at a local Crabtree & Evelyn store. It's surprising how different rose scent is from product to product. When one samples more than one rose product one after another, they recognize the significant difference between them. This distinction is not easily recognized when testing a single product alone.

My interest in this scent started more than 25 years ago when I had the opportunity to gather those rose flower petals starting before sun dawn from this very same species of roses that are used even now to produce 85% of the world's rose oil. Recently I ordered 10 ml of the same precious rose oil used in The Rose of Bulgaria cream in order to experiment with it. Even though this cream doesn't attract much of attention, it's a very fine product. It makes very good lather easily, and is almost as good as the T&H rose cream and better than Vulfix' IMO. These are the only three creams I've tried, and I asked about opinions on the others in this thread - GFT, TOBS, D.R. Harris, etc.

A little info for the rose fans
Rose Valley
More trivia for the curious mind

2 180
 03-25-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
edgerunner,
i can not help you with shaving soaps in rose as i have not tried any, but Dr. Bronner makes the best Rose castille liquid soap there is! If i could find a shaving soap with that aroma, i would be ecstatic!
Good luck.

75 20,883