03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
I love the Astra SP blade yet when I loaded my late 40's SS I noticed I was not removing hair off my face, at all...so I verified I didnt over tighten the TTO handle and dicked aroudn some more to discover that one side of the DE was not shaving...How often should I expect to have a bum blade in my pack? Then my next question would be specific to a late 40's SS..hmmm, I wonder if my 8 year old accidentially dropped my handle which might have adjusted the performance...is anyone aware if the aluminum handle would bend? I assume yes

4 158
 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
Several questions

1. Did you change blades just to double check if its the first blade.

2. Does the razor handle appear to have been dropped.

3. Is your son already shavingSmile

98 12,360
 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
I switched up the handle I was using so I I would need to pull out the SS and replace the blade with a fresh new one..

The handle shows no visible signs of someone dropping it and my Son has a few years before he shaves...

4 158
 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
Bad blades happen. They are fairly uncommon, but they do happen.

1 189
 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM
User Info
I haven't experienced the "bad blade" interspersed with good blades in a factory sealed package yet, but I've heard it remarked fairly often on shaving forums. Given the nature of blade manufacture, it would seem far more likely to me that if a maladjustment of the honing machinery were to occur you would get a slew of bad blades in a row - not just the odd reject. Maybe that is not correct, but I know if I get a bad blade, it is usually just a blade that doesn't suit my beard.
Dorco 300s are a case in point: I got a package (probably from a sampler) and opened it up - put the first blade in the razor - started shaving and it was really bad; drag & scrape bad. I turned the razor over - second edge still BAD. So I toss that blade and put in a fresh Dorco - still the same. Now, someone else may have gotten a great shave with those blades, but they are not for me. This scenario is my only experience with "bum blades".
It's odd that, in some things, these types of malfunctions result in rarities and collectibles. Look at mis-struck coins and mis-printed stamps. Somehow, I don't think that collecting bad razor blades will ever catch on - a bit like catch and release clamming.

5 394